OCR03346 - *YES* Silent Hill 3 'Hometown (Unabashed Mix)'

Palpable

I will include a link to the hosted mp3, as well as an attachment of the mp3 in this email.

If there is anything else needed, please don't hesitate to email me!

Remixer: FlameingDaethFearies
Email Address: 
UserID: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=54211

Game: Silent Hill 3
Arrangement Name: Hometown (Sexy Nurse Mix)
Original Song: Hometown

Comments:  This is my first submission to the site, but I've been a fan and a follower for many years.  My band does event shows and this was a song I composed and recorded for our event, A Very Feary Halloween: Silent Hill!  It was awesome!  We always go all out with decorations, lighting, bubbles, and dancers.  This show had references to Silent Hill, as well as Five Nights at Freddie's, so we had Heather Mason, Pyramid Head, Lisa Garland, a lovely nurse from Alchemilla Hospital, and many more staples of the Silent HIll series.  This song was recorded and performed by Rusti Majere, and mixed/mastered/produced by Devin Castle.

Thanks,
Rusti Majere

• 4 weeks later...

I like that you took the original and went even grittier with it. The crunch in the drums, your vocal tone and performance, and the bass synth really do a nice job of highlighting the mood. I'm finding the balance between the vocals and the bass synth aren't really working well here, however. The vocals are feeling drowned out by the other elements, which is a bigger issue due to the fact that there aren't that many elements here. I think this needs s bit of a rework due to fix this up.

I'm also a little worried that this might be a bit too close to the source, but I'm curious what the other judges think. Regardless id like to hear this one adjusted with the vocals being a bit clearer.

No (resubmit)

The beginning of the remix contains actual audio from the original track, is this ok?  It sounds good but I'm not sure it's ok to do.  

The remix is conservative for sure, and I get what Deia is saying about the bass vs. the vocals, it is because it's a saw bass with a ton of upper end crunch which is crunching in the same frequency space as the vocals, also the bass and vocals are both dead center.  If the crunch part of the bass was stereo separated, this problem would be eliminated.  Drum writing is repetitive but the sounds are good.  Guitar work and vocal performance are both very good.  Even with some crits, I think this is a good creative cover of this source.  I'm going with it.

YES

"If the crunch part of the bass was stereo separated, this problem would be eliminated." good call. I hear it as a spatial issue, which is common with dry synth patches blended with acoustic recordings like vox etc.

the production quality sounds good to me, despite a bit of jarringness caused by that blend. your voice is solid bro, keep it up. the arrangement is similar to the original, but there are so many melodic and stylistic flourishes off the original vocal part and surrounding elements that I will say

YES

• 2 weeks later...

You've taken a song of nightmares and made it a lot more musical IMO. The track is coverish, but feels original enough in its own right with its synth/rock approach. Now a couple of things to mention.

• Sample allowed or not, I do wish the intro was your own interpretation. 
  • Your vocals are good, it is a shame however that your bass synth buzzes through it. The entire track would benefit from the bass being carved back with a LPF, or even a simple dip in EQ where the vocals and bass synth meet. If you insist the bass takes up the frequency space it does, consider side-chaining EQ to dip each time the vocals hit.

These are really the only problems I have with your mix. A solid job, but the vocal being lost is too much of a deal breaker for me. Consider the points above to give your mix that final polish.

NO

Considering the NO's here are in relation to the vocals being a little quiet, would we be able to pass this if the vocals were made louder so they are more audible? I wouldn't expect this to take long for the artist to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

From the votes above, I was expecting to be unable to hear the vocals clearly and for the bass to be just awful. It's really not that bad, as I can make out the vocals just fine on my headphones. Yeah, the bass has a buzz in the 1-4khz range that could just stand to be tamed in general, but it's not a dealbreaker when the rest of the song is as good as it is. I'm worried about the intro being sampled, and that could possibly be an issue, but I think this has plenty of merit to it. The vocal performance is delivered with conviction, even if it is obviously tuned in a few places, the guitar work is great, I dig the overall groove quite a lot, and the mix is just fine aside from that bass tone. I'm gonna vote we let this one through, with the caveat that we may require a new intro bit.

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm with Mike - I expected this to be WAY worse in terms of vocal mixing, but to be honest I wouldn't have even identified this as a vocal level issue. If anything, I feel like the bass is too loud and dry, and would benefit from being brought down in the mix, but there's enough space in the rest of the mix for the vocals to occupy that it's not a dealbreaker in my book by any means.

The vocal performance is certainly a highlight here, you really don't hear this style on the site very frequently, so this is exciting to me. Is it sacrilege to say that I actually enjoyed your cover more than the source? Your crunchy guitar tone fits like a glove, as does the drum kit. Other than the bass tone and level, everything here fits together naturally. I dig this quite a bit.

YES

I didn't think production was much a concern here, at least on my Sennheisers. The elements were pretty clear, and while I would have carved a bit out of that bass, in a track this sparse, it's fine. I liked the balance and the rest of the soundscape. Not to mention, it's a really creative take on the source. Totally different instrumentation and delivery, it's a total jam. My only complaint (besides the intro, which should be changed to jive with standards) is that the song ended before I wanted it to. I could have really gone for a bridge and an over-the-top chorus. A good problem to have when your audience wants more.

YES (conditional on intro change)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03346 - *YES* Silent Hill 3 'Hometown (Unabashed Mix)'