Chimpazilla

Remixer Name: Pokérus

Email: 

User ID: 53636

Game arranged: The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

Name of the Arrangement: "Dungeons to Explore"

Songs: Dark World Dungeon, Light World Dungeon

Composer: Koji Kondo

Comments: This is a little Zelda "Medley" made for my 3rd VGM Album called "Infection #03". A little Rocker in certain moments, a little "Djent wannabe" in others, but is like mi personal perfect idea of this eerie vibe of dungeons in this Zelda games. Hope you like it! :D

Great sources!  (it's Zelda, so yeah, great source!  haha)  I love the djent-ish concept.  Performances are good.  It's a busy mix and could probably do with a bit of mixing cleanup, the low end is indistinct and muddy, stuff in the middle mushes together somewhat.  I'm not a fan of with hard panning on the backing synth and strings on the right, and crashes on the left, but I admit it is helping keep the soundstage clearer than it would be otherwise (because the mixing isn't perfect).  Melody goes a little dissonant in spots but it works in this context.  I can see this getting some NOs for mixing cleanup, but the creativity of the arrangement and the performances gets the job done for me.

YES

The mixing sounded muddy/lossy, but it wasn't at a level where this should be held back on production grounds. The parts were distinct enough, it just felt like high-end clarity was missing. Also, the bassline had a buzzy quality to it that was distracting at times, though not a big deal in the big picture.

Nice use of the NES-style lead at 1:31. Sweet ear candy with the sound effect from 2:35-2:41, then another NES-style chip line at 2:43. Loving the combination of rock and chip sounds, with the NES parts clicking here and accenting the piece.

Not much else to say other than nice work, Patricio!

YES

I guess I'm not quite on board with this one as my fellow J's.  Off the bat, the quick guitar rhythm part has trouble keeping up with the tempo of the track and frequently fall off the beat (most apparent around :38 - :43).  I agree with Larry that the mix sounds lossy, especially in the Bass and Drums, but in general is workable.  The kick drum, though, has almost no body and just sounds like a click when loud elements are in play.  Bass guitar is low in volume and frequently gets lost among the other parts.

Could certainly be a stylistic preference, but 1:31 - sounded strange/clashy with the juxtaposition of the rhythm guitar against the square lead.

Not gonna deny that there are some really cool arrangment ideas and performances here.  I can see this one passing for sure, but personally, I'd like to hear another pass on the production (kick, mixing) and some loose rhythm performance issues.  Definitely could see this one passing as is, though.  Good luck to you.

NO (borderline) resubmit, please

I can hear what some of the others are mentioning, but I thing the arrangement and personalization are really carrying this mix really well. Very good stylistic changes of the melodies, and great backing parts to support the track as a whole. I do agree with Justin about 1:31 in particular sounding a bit awkward, but again I'm not finding it to be a deal breaker.

Yes