Playing ReMixes over the phone programmatically with JavaScript

Sagnewshreds

Hey there. This is actually my first thread on the forums :)

tl;dr: Call (347) 826-3536 to hear "Guile's Theme Goes with Metal" over the phone.

I'm a developer evangelist at a company called Twilio, and I recently wrote a tutorial blog post on how to programmatically play music over the phone with some JavaScript. The example I used as the song to play over a phone call was the Guile's Theme Goes with Metal remix by Shinray. There's a nice shoutout to OCR at the end of the section where I describe how to set things up.

I thought maybe some of you would appreciate the idea of being able to call a phone number and hear Guile's Theme. Even if playing music over the phone does result in pretty low quality, I think there's some novelty value in there. If any of you are developers or wanted to set something like this up with other remixes, the code wouldn't be very involved and is all explained in my post.

You can check it out here: https://www.twilio.com/blog/2015/08/playing-tunes-over-the-phone-with-the-twilio-nodejs-library-in-es6.html

Let me know if you have any comments or questions :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm genuinely confused, is there a context for this? I'm a bit younger, so maybe I'm out of the loop. Was being able to call in to hear music ever a thing back in the old days of phone operation? Is this a nostalgic kind of thing? Or is it just a cool idea you had, sort of a proof of tech concept? I'm just curious, is all.

• 2 weeks later...

Since nobody's replied, I just want to say that this is super cool and thank you for sharing!

Thanks I'm glad you liked it :D

I'm genuinely confused, is there a context for this? I'm a bit younger, so maybe I'm out of the loop. Was being able to call in to hear music ever a thing back in the old days of phone operation? Is this a nostalgic kind of thing? Or is it just a cool idea you had, sort of a proof of tech concept? I'm just curious, is all.

It's pretty much just a proof of concept tech thing. I thought it would be cool to do. I was basically working on a tutorial on how to play music over the phone in general, and then I decided to give OCR some love when I was trying to figure out what music to use as an example. 

Thanks I'm glad you liked it :D

It's pretty much just a proof of concept tech thing. I thought it would be cool to do. I was basically working on a tutorial on how to play music over the phone in general, and then I decided to give OCR some love when I was trying to figure out what music to use as an example. 

Ah, so music over the phone is the novelty here; OCR music is just a fun side thing.