Super Metroid arrangement

Orion

Really need some feedback on the mix. Pretty happy with the composition and how much it modulates.  I use orchestral instruments and traditional japanese instruments as well.  

I played Chrono Trigger before writing this so the flavor of the piece definitely reflects that in some ways.  lol

https://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/super-metroid-orchestral-arrange

Any kind of feedback would be stellar.  Thank you

Sounds good, I can definitely hear the chrono trigger influence. I love that counterpoint that comes in at 3:19.

One thing that I noticed is that your snare sounds very mechanical and fake. The sample seems ok but every hit has about the same strength. Try to vary the velocity more; think about how you would play it in real life, and try to emulate the little differences in volume like at the beginning of a snare roll vs. at the end of one (usually these are crescendos).

Sounds good, I can definitely hear the chrono trigger influence. I love that counterpoint that comes in at 3:19.

One thing that I noticed is that your snare sounds very mechanical and fake. The sample seems ok but every hit has about the same strength. Try to vary the velocity more; think about how you would play it in real life, and try to emulate the little differences in volume like at the beginning of a snare roll vs. at the end of one (usually these are crescendos).

Hey cool.  I don't love the snare sound either.  Maybe I'll try to find a better sample.  I was actually varying the velocity on the snares if you can believe it but I agree it still doesn't sound great.  

I think I heard some clipping in the beginning. If not I still hear some weird pumping at 2:45 - 2:47. Might want to turn this down by about 2 dB.

You heard clipping?  When?  "PUMPING?"  what does that even mean?  

Thanks for your feedback.   

You heard clipping?  When?  "PUMPING?"  what does that even mean?  

Thanks for your feedback.   

Right at 0:17, it felt like there was clipping on the right.

Pumping is just like pressing down on the volume of a song, letting it come back up, and doing it again and again. At 2:45 - 2:47, it sounded like there was really drastic volume automation (an automation curve decreasing at an increasing rate from a high value to a low value, and then a sharply leaping back up to the original value with a flat slope).

Right at 0:17, it felt like there was clipping on the right.

Pumping is just like pressing down on the volume of a song, letting it come back up, and doing it again and again. At 2:45 - 2:47, it sounded like there was really drastic volume automation (an automation curve going from a high value to a low value, with a low slope increasing to a high slope, and then a sharp leap back up to the original value with a flat slope).

Well it doesn't get much more clear than that.  Thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant.  I wondering if dropping the piece a few decibals overall is going to be a beneficial change to the piece.  Maybe I need to get more creative with how I mask the clipping... hmmm.  I don't notice anything at 2:45 to 2:47.  The strings sound a little strange though

It's a bit of a subtle issue, but it essentially has to do with whether or not the strings seem realistic enough, for me at least.

Clipping occurs when a limiter doesn't catch loud spikes in a song quickly enough, and that spike goes above 0 dB. It's sort of like playing a game of whack-a-mole and letting several moles get away. :lol:

It's a bit of a subtle issue, but it essentially has to do with whether or not the strings seem realistic enough, for me at least.

Clipping occurs when a limiter doesn't catch loud spikes in a song quickly enough, and that spike goes above 0 dB. It's sort of like playing a game of whack-a-mole and letting several moles get away. :lol:

I love that analogy but hate the fact that my samples are once again holding me back.  DOH