Action & Tactical RPGs

AngelCityOutlaw

The psp version of fft is alot more fun in my opinion. The dialogue changes are also something im a huge fan of.  never could beat that game though. 

I started LUCT when it was just called "Tactics Ogre" on the PS1. The leveling system was a pain--enemies' power was based on the level of your highest-level character, and one level made a significant difference.  Ended up spending lots of time sitting around throwing rocks at each other to even levels up, IIRC.

didnt see you had mentioned it. I dont think the enemies scaled like that in Knight of Lodis, LUCT definitely seems alot harder, i never could beat it. I loved the Emblems system in Knight of Lodis, it was always fun to see what emblems you could get by staging mock battles with yourself. It was also cool that you  could play with a friend in training mode by passing off your gameboy each round. 

Basically, RPG games that actually require skill and strategy beyond "My stat numbers are higher than the enemies', therefore I win."

Tactical RPGs can be like that too. And some have overpowered characters, like FFTs' Cid. He can practically win any battle by himself.

If you don't mind playing in Japanese or playing translated roms, the Super Robot Wars games are pretty good.

Most of the games NIS puts out are tactical rpgs but of course the main one is Disgaea. The game requires a lot of  level grinding and weapon upgrading though. Recently got Makai Kingdom & that one is pretty fun.

The Romancing SaGa & SaGa Frontier games aren't action rpgs or tactical rpgs but they do require some strategy. You don't have levels, you get stats randomly from battle, you learn skills by using your weapons in battle, & the random battles are based on your characters strength, the stronger you are the stronger they are. Also they have multiple main characters, storylines, recruitable characters, & side quests.

Legend of Mana, Sword of Mana, & Seiken Densetsu 3 are some good action rpgs. Secret of Evermore is really good too. Grandia, Alundra, & Parasite Eve are pretty good, but I've only played the 1st games. Threads of Fate. Saiyuki Journey West.

You said you played Star Ocean 4, the 1st 2 are my favorites of the series. Also the Tales series is sister series to Star Ocean.

Another one I just remembered for the saturn was Dragon Force.  Outside of some cheap hair pulling moments it's actually a very unique strategy game/wall-of-death simulator.  

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot to mention this one. I played a ton of this after it was released -- even though I just went through once with each of the 8 rulers. It does have a fair amount of replay value, since each ruler has a different storyline and conquest progression, although once you stumble upon a few winning strategies and learn which enemy types are strong/weak to each other, it becomes a bit easy to totally steamroll the AI.

I've also played some of Dragon Force 2, but just with one leader. The sequel never got a US release I think, so it's Japanese-only. The strategy is a bit expanded (you can have two enemy types in the same army -- e.g., harpies and archers are a great combination -- there are more types in the first place, and the general types matter more). However, the feel of the game is pretty similar to the first, and it is easy to steamroll the AI after about the midpoint of the game. KF

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot to mention this one. I played a ton of this after it was released -- even though I just went through once with each of the 8 rulers. It does have a fair amount of replay value, since each ruler has a different storyline and conquest progression, although once you stumble upon a few winning strategies and learn which enemy types are strong/weak to each other, it becomes a bit easy to totally steamroll the AI.

I've also played some of Dragon Force 2, but just with one leader. The sequel never got a US release I think, so it's Japanese-only. The strategy is a bit expanded (you can have two enemy types in the same army -- e.g., harpies and archers are a great combination -- there are more types in the first place, and the general types matter more). However, the feel of the game is pretty similar to the first, and it is easy to steamroll the AI after about the midpoint of the game. KF

True, but I was scarred for life on an early play through.  At some point, i forget exactly when but it's early, some of the enemies will spawn without warning directly behind your defenses and have a straight shot at your main castle. The first time this happened I had saved a few minutes before it occurred and had all of my generals way the heck out from the main castle.  Which resulted in a dead game because it was impossible to get back to save it in time. 

Which was annoying. 

True, but I was scarred for life on an early play through.  At some point, i forget exactly when but it's early, some of the enemies will spawn without warning directly behind your defenses and have a straight shot at your main castle. The first time this happened I had saved a few minutes before it occurred and had all of my generals way the heck out from the main castle.  Which resulted in a dead game because it was impossible to get back to save it in time. 

Which was annoying. 

Oh I remember that! And the same thing almost happened to me my first game. I've grown up with Civ-like games (well, I've been playing Civilization ever since the very first one, and still have my copies of everything from Civ2 onwards), so for the first, oh, 80% of the game I was still in my "every castle must have at least two defenders" mode before finally giving that up and massing my generals towards the front -- just before that event happened (if I recall, I think I held them off with a few weaker generals to buy enough time for one of my larger forces to get back). In later games, since you know when it'll occur, you can more easily prepare for it. With DF2, same deal except I didn't know exactly when and where those surprises would come from, so I just adopted more of a cautious strategy.

Yeah, Dragon Force does throw you a few yorkers to keep things interesting... KF

I'm currently writing the soundtrack for a new anime-themed Tactical JRPG called 'Tears of Avia'. Check it out on Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516774202

Other RPG's that I enjoy:

- Final Fantasy 6

- Grandia (entire series)

487px-Are-You-Kidding-Me-Rage-Face-Meme-

Anyway,

The end is nigh for Star Ocean 4. I never made it this far before (the end of the game) and I like it. The BEAT system is cool and the bonus board is a good idea because you can fight monsters along the way to the boss and if you've got it loaded with blue crystals, you're almost always sufficiently leveled (assuming you powered up your skills too) by the time you make it there - while stats are certainly important in most battles, the game makes it easy and kinda fun to haul ass on the leveling. Good game. 

After this, I shall try one of the suggestions put forth in the thread.

I'm a huge Star Ocean 1 fan, 2 was great as well, but I'm always stuck at the same dungeon (and somehow bad things happen, when I play it), but I never really got into 3 and 4, so can you tell me, did 4 become better after the first 15% (I'm not sure where I stopped).
I'm not one for tactical RPGs, but after Fire Emblem: Awakening I had a short phase. Disgaea is definitely one of the funnier entries, but the leveling system is, well, strange :P
Eternal Sonata has a strange story, but it's a rather good RPG, it's a hidden gem

I'm a huge Star Ocean 1 fan, 2 was great as well, but I'm always stuck at the same dungeon (and somehow bad things happen, when I play it), but I never really got into 3 and 4, so can you tell me, did 4 become better after the first 15% (I'm not sure where I stopped).

I'm not one for tactical RPGs, but after Fire Emblem: Awakening I had a short phase. Disgaea is definitely one of the funnier entries, but the leveling system is, well, strange :P

Eternal Sonata has a strange story, but it's a rather good RPG, it's a hidden gem

I really wanna play the first two now.

4 does get better, for sure, but it's not without problems. Edge gets stuck on tiny rocks or some other trivial object on the map for no reason at all, the targeting system is garbage and the difficulty is really unbalanced in some places. Like, Tamiel is only the third boss or so and he seems to be the one most people have problems with. However, after him, you fight the armaros manifest on Aeos who is laughably easy and I had Meracle dealing 30-50,000 damage no problem. Also, the phantom soldiers, the mini-boss before armaros manifest, are arguably the hardest part of the entire game. Lastly, it takes way too long to get the complete party - the last guy joins about 70-80% of the way through the main story.

I also played the living shit out of Fire Emblem: Awakening

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What dungeon you stuck on in Star Ocean 2? I've played that game a lot. Went through with different characters & stuff. Recently got the psp version too.