OCR03207 - Final Fantasy IX "Four Score and Six-Eight"

Liontamer

So sexy, so smooth. I keep coming back to this tragic (err, that was autocorrect, but I thought it was funny so I left it there) track and XPRTNovice's "Miles and Miles Away" (They're back to back on the album, and it is by far the sexiest section of the album.)

I love this style, Dave, I always look forward to your tracks on these albums.

I'm ashamed to admit it took me a while to figure out why the title is Four-Score and Six Eight.

This is probably my favorite remix of yours, just ever. It's got this loose, casual vibe, like the good kind of background music that while not so complex that it asks me to keep prying it apart for details, it still periodically draws my attention for a moment before I go back to doing something else---in the sense that I feel the need to keep shifting my attention toward it so that I don't miss anything. :} This definitely holds up to the caliber of tracks on the rest of the album!

This is something truly amazing. I'm not saying this is my favorite mix of all time or anything (that kind of a declaration usually requires a source material I'm already really attached to being handled in a way that feels absolutely perfect to me), but it's definitely something special. Here's why: Until this mix, I always regarded this source material as a forgettable and, yes, boring little ditty that accompanied a minigame that I hate (Triple Triad>>>>>>Tetra Master).

This mix, however, truly has, as djp hoped, cast the tune in a new light for me. The instrumentation, the liberal arrangement, the overall vibe (and, oh yeah, those wonderful vibes...see what I did there?) make this mix one of my top ten standout tracks from a great project album, and probably the biggest pleasant surprise I've gotten from an OCR album since Balance and Ruin.

This mix, however, truly has, as djp hoped, cast the tune in a new light for me. The instrumentation, the liberal arrangement, the overall vibe (and, oh yeah, those wonderful vibes...see what I did there?) make this mix one of my top ten standout tracks from a great project album, and probably the biggest pleasant surprise I've gotten from an OCR album since Balance and Ruin.

That's truly great to hear; I appreciate the feedback, & since I wasn't sure if folks would get what I was going for, it's rewarding to know that at least a few did :)

Boy, this really is impressive! What's ironic is I don't like the source tune, but this remix makes it so much more palatable. I love how things move forward at 1:00 and fall back around 1:35, giving it a feel like you're having a fun chess game with a friend on a tropical beach with a cold drink in your hand - no reason to hustle or stress, just an easy and fun time at your side while you rest on your chair and talk. Easy, relaxing - really enjoyable!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The quality of the more jazzy and chill tracks on this album is outstanding really (which is what I've needed to hear after these rough few days, lol). I do love that the atmosphere of this one is less smokey parlor and more lounge sounding to me, and truly this ReMix in my opinion outshines over the original source tune. It comes off so relaxing that it can go by really quickly if you just listen and don't think about it, which is cool and makes the mix easily loopable. Smooth and easy-going, very nicely done Mr. Pretzel.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03207 - Final Fantasy IX "Four Score and Six-Eight"