Shovel Knight Orchestra

Ihsman07

When I livestreamed Shovel Knight a couple weeks ago, I had the main theme of the game stuck in my head. Because of that, I ended up working on an orchestra version of the theme and I feel it turned out rather well for what it was. I know many don't like repeats that much, but for this, I wanted to hold onto the illusion that you're currently playing a version of the game with this playing as the main theme. So instead of just ending if after 2 minutes, it will repeat once and then fade out. As always, feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnlffU4WXY

This is pretty awesome. It has a very PS1-era feel to it, like some of those soundtracks that went for "orchestral", but not "played by a live orchestra". Everything about it feels right. I especially like how the writing seems to match the samples perfectly. It feels very organic, not forced. Excellent work.

This is pretty awesome. It has a very PS1-era feel to it, like some of those soundtracks that went for "orchestral", but not "played by a live orchestra". Everything about it feels right. I especially like how the writing seems to match the samples perfectly. It feels very organic, not forced. Excellent work.

Wow, thanks a ton for your awesome feedback. I put a lot of work into this and I feel very proud. I just wonder if it's worthy of possibly submitting it to OCRemix. I would think that if I do, I should probably create an ending to the piece instead of making it repeat.

Whoa, you've got some serious arrangement skills :P

You "translated" the original to orchestrated version perfectly.

I've never played this game, so I am "unbiased": I like your version better.

Btw, what sample lib do you use?

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I used a VST called Edirol Orchestra the I used on FLStudio11. It has a large selection of orchestra instruments.

Yep; Edirol Orchestra and Edirol Hypercanvas are very similar to the Roland SC-88 orchestral samples, which were used in games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden II.

Very nice work! I'll co-sign what Kat said.

As for submitting to OCR, looping is likely a no-go. Sounds like it loops around 2:00. Writing an ending sounds like a good idea. Two minutes is on the short side, but with an ending I feel the piece would probably feel like a complete whole. I'm no judge, but I would say you have plenty or reinterpretation already otherwise, with the rhythms & feel of the parts et cetera. Also, the production approach may make it more difficult to meet the OCR bar for production, but then again there's stuff like a posted mix made with Korg DS-10 if I recall correctly, so I don't think it's impossible.

So I'd say arrange an ending & ask for a mod review :) Nice work in any case!

Very nice work! I'll co-sign what Kat said.

As for submitting to OCR, looping is likely a no-go. Sounds like it loops around 2:00. Writing an ending sounds like a good idea. Two minutes is on the short side, but with an ending I feel the piece would probably feel like a complete whole. I'm no judge, but I would say you have plenty or reinterpretation already otherwise, with the rhythms & feel of the parts et cetera. Also, the production approach may make it more difficult to meet the OCR bar for production, but then again there's stuff like a posted mix made with Korg DS-10 if I recall correctly, so I don't think it's impossible.

So I'd say arrange an ending & ask for a mod review :) Nice work in any case!

Thanks! Honestly, I wish I could get my hands on some real orchestra sounds. Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough for that. What I have is pretty much the best I can get unless someone can tell me where I can find even better sounds that's not a real breathing orchestra ensemble. xD

Thanks! Honestly, I wish I could get my hands on some real orchestra sounds. Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough for that. What I have is pretty much the best I can get unless someone can tell me where I can find even better sounds that's not a real breathing orchestra ensemble. xD

I would direct you to this topic, in which I asked much the same question: http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41403-looking-for-orchestral-samples/

Spitfire Audio's Albion I is on a closeout sale for £149, but only until October 1st(so it's just about to vanish forever). It's mostly premade ensembles, but it has a natural reverb. No dry samples. I've found that Kontakt 5's included library has some pretty nice orchestra sounds, some of which are older Vienna Symphonic Library sounds. Kontakt 5 clocks in at about $400 though, or $250 if you have a qualifying product registered to your Native Instruments account(there are a few free ones that qualify). It also opens you up to a world of affordable, quality libraries.

But I wouldn't say you need real orchestra sounds. You're getting an awesome sound out of what you have right now, so unless your goal is to emulate a real orchestra I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Yeah, I wouldn't stress about samples. When I say "production approach" what I'm thinking it's not just the base sounds, as it mixing and performance. Stop me if I'm talking about my ass, but the 32-bit game orchestral style is rather dry in mixing & rigid in sequencing, and putting care to mixing/processing the sounds, and working on the sequencing to create a lively, dynamic performance, so to speak, goes a long way. And even if you did get more expensive samples, they still won't mix and sequence themselves - I understand that you'll have to seqence specifically for each library you use anyway. There's plenty of great-sounding orchestral mixes on OCR made with cheap/free samples - you'll just have to sequence for them and keep their limitations in mind.

Mind that I know just about nothing about making orchestral arrangements, or even 32 bit era soundtracks, so take that as you will - I'm also not evaluating here if your arrangement has or hasn't careful mixing and lively/dynamic sequencing - it's just a good point of view to look at the piece in regards to OCR standars, from what I can tell.

Hope this helps rather than confuses. :D

The mixing here feels a tad lossy, but it's not a big deal.

The problem with PS1-like samples such as these is that you have to learn the realistic pitch ranges of each instrument, and you don't have access to the articulations that would enhance the variety of techniques you utilize. However, it's not so much about the samples you use as the mixing you do with them. The hard part is adapting to your samples and making the most out of them.

A more dynamic arrangement is really called for here though, in terms of layering and the underlying "music theory" in the arrangement. Maybe watching some of these livestreams can help you layer and develop the dynamics further, learn how to automate volumes to imitate expression, or figure out what's missing in your workflow, since zircon is using very similar samples:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2SGKS2vgMxy17FkfX3w6LndaOfkgq89