Pokémon Go

Hyperion5182

If you've been following certain areas of the world a game company known as Niantic has been on your radar fringes for some time.

The game Ingress is wildly successful and popular but it has its limits. Still it redefined the ARG.

Little did anyone know that a VIP class player was involved.

Said VIP player: Current head of Pokémon.

Gonna keep this short and sweet: Pokémon has paired with Nintendo and Niantic to create what could be the new standard in gaming.

On 9/10 A press conference was issued and the first Trailer of a new game was debuted.

A Pokémon Augmented Reality Game.

Pokémon Go. 2016... get your phones ready.

(and yes. I will be in on it too.)

I don't really even care about this.

So far, it's announced, with no real footage shown. What little footage that is shown isn't any kind of augmented reality, like looking through your phone's camera and seeing  Pikachu running down your street. It's more like you're given a direction on a map and when you get to those coordinates, you get a regular game screen with a button to push to throw a ball.

Hardly the same thing, and hardly worth being interesting in.

This is all about marketing and I think it will dissapoint us all (I hope to get wrong). I remember seeing something like this some years ago, also about pokemon and it wasn't "the greatest thing" (Maybe it was the same). The ARG is still far away, and now all there is are just gimmicks.

Next year, I'm going to run into people walking around like they're lost or there will be some random person in the driveway. "What the hell are you doing?" I'll ask, "Hold up, I'm trying to catch Pikachu!" They will say, as they show me the watch-like device attached to their wrist - their eyes never leaving their phone.

"They've promised that dreams can come true - but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too." - Oscar Wilde, on "Pokemon Go".

Next year, I'm going to run into people walking around like they're lost or there will be some random person in the driveway. "What the hell are you doing?" I'll ask, "Hold up, I'm trying to catch Pikachu!" They will say, as they show me the watch-like device attached to their wrist - their eyes never leaving their phone.

"They've promised that dreams can come true - but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too." - Oscar Wilde, on "Pokemon Go".

Yeah, just don't make eye contact or you'll have to battle. On the bright side, if you win, you can take their wallet.

If you've been following certain areas of the world a game company known as Niantic has been on your radar fringes for some time.

The game Ingress is wildly successful and popular but it has its limits. Still it redefined the ARG.

Little did anyone know that a VIP class player was involved.

Said VIP player: Current head of Pokémon.

Gonna keep this short and sweet: Pokémon has paired with Nintendo and Niantic to create what could be the new standard in gaming.

On 9/10 A press conference was issued and the first Trailer of a new game was debuted.

A Pokémon Augmented Reality Game.

Pokémon Go. 2016... get your phones ready.

(and yes. I will be in on it too.)

Why haven't you provided links to trailers or a press release?

When creating a thread about an upcoming game, it's not enough to just say "they're making this." You ought to provide some links to official announcements to where people get get more information. Also, I understand your excitement but try not to make your thread sound like advertising copy. "Get your phones ready?" Really? :\

Also, make your thread title about the actual subject of the post, not some weird vague BS like "THE FOURTH WALL HAS BEEN BROKEN"

• 9 months later...

So umm... (necessary) BUMP!

Been having a ball (no pun intended) so far. One guy in the Indiana Pokémon Go Trainers FB group caught a 573 CP Vaporeon in the wild!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PokemonGOIndiana/permalink/1012611315504636/

I've got lots of Eevees and bird/bug Pokémon in my area. I'm hoping that silhouetted Snorlax comes back when I'm NOT driving. Which teams are you all on?

#teammystic #teamblue

4 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Plot twist: The dead guy was trying to capture a rare water pokemon.

In case anyone hasn't figured out by now, if you wanna be the very best, like no one ever was, it's gonna take you to the most dangerous corners of the Earth.

You joke, but my wife and I just found a PokeStop located in the middle of a pond that is unreachable unless you actually enter the water.

I'm curious if we're going to see some laws coming out of this regarding the right of property owners to control the content of their augmented reality space. I've been talking for a while about how I should go around the neighborhood and offer people $20 to sign away their "virtual adspace rights" to me for when some hypothetical new market is created...

10 hours ago, yangfeili said:

I'm curious if we're going to see some laws coming out of this regarding the right of property owners to control the content of their augmented reality space. I've been talking for a while about how I should go around the neighborhood and offer people $20 to sign away their "virtual adspace rights" to me for when some hypothetical new market is created...

In regards to controlling your personal property's AR content... the content is dependent upon the application itself, not the physical location. If someone on the other side of the planet uses a program to say that your front yard is where a magical monster from the anti-matter universe, there's not much you can do to stop them from doing it. They don't really need your permission to say that some data points to your yard, because it could be argued that ther is nothing physically happening.

The real issue then is trespassing. But even then, it's the people that are following the application that are breaking the law, not the app's developer/publisher.

I think that the first, and most likely, solution is to make sure that the dev/publisher has to only use public areas, and then verify (google maps, physically visiting the area, etc) to ensure that none f the locations are violating private property.

Unless there is a sudden and massive issue that is brought up because of serious violations or accidents due to people violating property lines (ie: some one enters a person's yard in Texas, and then is immediately subjected to Castle Doctrine via shotgun), I don't think there will be any legislation any time soon.

But yeah, interesting question!

7 hours ago, Kat said:

I've seen like 3 churches around here that are also Pokespots. There's also an Abby's Pizza nearby that serves as a Gym. Some of the GPS stuff seems a little wonky right now, though. I can be right next to or even inside Pokestops and be too far away.

The Catholic school kids around here are going to have an advantage when school gets back in session what with all the PokeStops centered on statues, while the unfortunate public school kids are adrift in an iconoclastic acultural void.