Final Fantasy IX - Return to Terra

Impluo

Hello everyone!

My first post on this forum.

I only recently found out about is forum, can you believe that?

I want to share with you a cover (yes, cover, not really a remix) from FFIX.

This cover contains the songs "The place I'll return to someday" and "Terra" (by Nobuo Uematsu).

For "The place I return to someday" I could not find a high quality recorder ensemble version of this song yet, so I decided to give it a try.

I tried to mimic the original, using real instruments (recorders) instead. For the second part of the cover; "Terra", I played around a bit.

Although I stayed close to the original arrangement and feel of the song (I think), I did make some changes.

I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with your feedback.. any feedback.

I realize I probably won't be able to submit this as a remix (as it sounds close to the original), but that was not my intention anyway.

(The cover was done before I discovered OCR). 

I hope you enjoy it!

Best,

Impluo

Hey! Thanks a lot for listening and leaving a comment :)

Hehehe, I agree the transition may be a bit rough.

I'm probably biased because of my love for progressive/experimental rock, where such (and much more crazy) transitions happen all the time.

Two separate tracks? Yes.. maybe indeed.

I always felt these two different songs go together well since they have similar themes.

Also storywise it makes somes sense, with Terra being the place Zidane would eventually return to.

However I understand where you're coming from now that I'm listening to the finished song.. May have been a good idea to split them up.

Thanks!

Final Fantasy IX is my all-time favorite Final Fantasy game and, in my opinion, has the best music. Listening to this just made me want to play FFIX again and I really wish I could. The music you made sounded great. It was beautiful to listen to. My only wish is that you had made some changes to "The Place I Will Return to Someday" (which is the song you hear on the title of the game). You made them sound exactly the same. I'm not saying it's bad, I was just really wanting to hear something a little different. The second half of the song was my favorite. I loved the tune played when first arriving in Terra. There were plenty of similarities, but you definitely added in some of your own flair. Overall, this was very enjoyable to listen to and I hope you keep up the great work. :D

Hehehe, I agree the transition may be a bit rough.

I'm probably biased because of my love for progressive/experimental rock, where such (and much more crazy) transitions happen all the time.

True enough. I also love me some prog rock/metal.

Two separate tracks? Yes.. maybe indeed.

I always felt these two different songs go together well since they have similar themes.

Also storywise it makes somes sense, with Terra being the place Zidane would eventually return to.

However I understand where you're coming from now that I'm listening to the finished song.. May have been a good idea to split them up.

Thanks!

Totally agree. The two themes really employ a similar motif, probably for the very reason you mentioned.

Now I really want to go play FF9, lol.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Making someone want to replay a game is the best compliment I can get :)

Maybe I'll make an alternative version of "The place I'll return someday"... "The piece I'll return to someday"... :P

For now, I wanted to stay true to the original as I could not find a high quality recorder version yet.

• 1 month later...

I love the recorders at the begining! You did such a great job

I think the electric backing in the second section is a bit too harsh though, it's almost overpowering; maybe it could be a bit softer

Also I loved when the drums came in! It actually made me excited, I was like "Yes!!"

And Again the synth backing towards the end sounds out of place in my opinion, it's just a bit.. random?

The atmosphere in Final Fantasy IX is amazing, you've really brought me back to it with this mix, Thanks

Thanks for your nice comments Modern Sapphire, I appreciate it!

I have to admit I am a synthesizer lover, and yes, the synths are quite contrasting compared to the rest of the arrangement.

I did that on purpose, I like the dark touch they convey and the excitement it brings (to me).

Thanks again for your feedback  :)