option)

Charlie

rabid_demon@hotmail.com

-

29e22071906731p07 ( I believe it is)

Legend of Zelda 64 Majora's Mask

Ending Theme

Koji Kondo is the composer and its for N64

This song is what is played after you complete the game. At the end of the game, a title screen appears that says "Dawn of a New Day" and i thought I'd use that text for this song as it seemed appropriate. I played the game and thought this song needed orchestrated music at the beginning instead of the singing Zora.

• 3 weeks later...

i really enjoyed playing this game. most everybody i know did not. the music was the only thing that did not impress me about it as most of it was boring and directionless...

that said, this is great. it starts off mellow and very well orchestrated. once this kicks in, it is like almost all modern zelda musik which is peculiarly celtic in writing and this is no exception. groovy.

the production is great. your instrumentation is great - everything is placed in the soundfield with a sure hand. the little ukelele in the right channel is a nice touch. the flutes are uplifting. the rhythm is much like the original but the drums sound very nice. your brass sounds as good as brass can sound sampled.

the arrangement is surprisingly fresh considering the main groove is very similar to the original. the intro is refreshing and the incorporation of the overworld theme (the original zelda theme) is slick. the ending is epic and grand much like the original but even more so.

this sounds like it belongs in wind waker which i suppose is a good thing. that said, my only complaint would be that at times, the instruments sound less than credible particularly at the end. i'm actually kind of in the loop on that because at times, they sound fantastic so i think i'm trippin

all in all.

great.

YES

There's a glitch at 1:25. We need a reencode. that's not acceptable.

This is a really fun track. The instrumentation is really balanced. THe mixer manages to express dynamics without crowding the soundfield. The arrangement is lighthearted and varied. There are lots of fun ideas that are smoothly presented.

The samples arent all fantastic, and frequently the partwriting is not independent enough, but these complaints arent enough to reject the track.

YES

now just fix that bug.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 253 "Staff Roll"

Before the more festive parts about 2+ minutes in, the original sounded like something straight out of Leisure Suit Larry.

Anyway, French horn synth at :35 is pretty phoney and could use a bit more body, but decently sequenced. Soundfield felt too empty until the woodwind joined at 1:00. Yeah, that audio deformation from 1:24-1:25 is unacceptable.

The most familiar part of the source kicked in at 1:33 with some decent orchestration, but I didn't like how similar the feel was to the original. Track felt a little empty, but there was some thick drum stuff at 2:14 to at least help fill things out a bit.

2:23 featured the main theme, which is also arranged in this style as part of the same Staff Roll source tune. 2:45 went for another iteration of the main source melody with some different instrumentation to very things up.

Stylish arrangement work at 3:29-3:45 to add a dash of flair before combining the main melody and Zelda theme for a stronger, more energetic finish. Like weed said, "the arrangement is surprisingly fresh considering the main groove is very similar to the original", which was surprising once I reached the end of the track. Without reading his vote first, that had been the same conclusion I had drawn. Definitely a track carried by the arrangement, but a nice job on the sequencing for a fairly natural track from a "performance" standpoint.

I though the production was decent enough, but ultimately the samples here still sound a bit bland and synthetic in a negative way. It's not until 2:05 where you finally get something filling out the background so the track didn't sound so empty. Some production tips on how to flesh out the sounds a bit more would be appreciated, since we can't post this track as is anyway (with that bad audio glitch). The production quality's nagging on me and when compared with the arrangement, there's a bit too much of an imbalance for me. Always the stickler...

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Look, I know I'm *new*, and perhaps I'm a bit off in my expectations/standards, but the soundfont quality really puts a nail in this songs tire. It's a really nice arrangement--got pretty decent instrumentaion for the most part. This just sounds really phony all the way around, and I can pin it all on the instrument quality. Very mechanical and fake--reminds me of way back in the day when I'd sit and play around in Midisoft Sound Explorer: Midisoft Studio (v 2.0!!!!! wtf??? wow, that's old). And I really think we've long since surpassed the day when anything resembling midi-like quality has been acceptable. I'm not going to fill up the page with exactly what's wrong with each particular instrument, but I'll throw out some examples. The french horn at :36 is very rigid and choppy--it's all in the attack. Pretty much any section with the brass is particularly LQ. Violin at 1:41 is rather mechanical and empty. The piccolo from 3:44 onward is a little ear-piercing. Usually, soundfonts (even free ones, like over at Hammersound) have some sort of automatic vibrato. I don't think I heard any in this remix, maybe with the exception of the flute at 1:01, and I think it would have added a more humanized touch--even if the instruments are synthetic.

Yeah, fix the glitch at 1:24, obviously.

Here's the deal. I don't mean to make it sound like you've put out a crappy mix here, quite the opposite in fact, at least in terms of notation and instrumentation. Despite being fine in terms of arrangement and interpretation, and even production for the most part, I just could not possible bring myself to pass such a robotic mix (and by robotic, I'm again referring to the utter lack of realism.) Again, I'm not saying you need to go spend hundreds of dollars on some Gigasamples etc. but this is just too close to having that MIDI generated sound. Fix that, and this would be an easy yes. As it stands,

NO

Defintely bring this one back when you've tweaked your instruments (and fixed the glitch, of course.)

Ouch, these definitely sound like GM-level samples. Even most free soundfonts I've heard are better than what was used here. I feel like it's just a little below Jeremy Robson's stuff in terms of sample quality, someone who we often cite as using somewhat unrealistic samples. BUT, that being said, they are used very well. Relative levels are good, reverb is good, and so forth. I've heard more mechanical sequencing before, and I've also heard Gigasamples sound worse. I can only imagine how this would sound if you used a more realistic library or collection of instruments. Looking at the big picture, I don't think the sample quality in and of itself is low enough to merit a NO given that the sample usage is good.

However, that brings me to my next point, which is the arrangement and concept of the mix. I really don't feel like this is a big departure from the original. It does have variation and original material, yes, but many elements are similar to the middle section of the source, most notably the texture and instrumentation. I've voted this way on a few other mixes as well - overall, this strikes me more as a 'crossgrade' from the original rather than a wholly unique interpretation. Not to say that there wasn't thought put into the arrangement and orchestration, but I think it needs to go one step further and set itself apart from the source more.

NO

Hey now, this is cute! I know others have brought up some concerns about your instrument samples, but the only one I feel strongly about is the french horn. I'm sorry, Charlie, but that sample BURNS. Note after note after note, it's just the same repeated articulation... You could have easily replaced that solo with something else from the brass section, or anything else, really. o_O

It took you a little while to get off the ground, but from 1:30, everything sounds great! The timpani sample really helped round out the lower end of the spectrum, with all those cheesy string samps. I wish your cymbal crashes had been more powerful in the section starting at 3:31, but what can ya do? This was a strong submission, IMO. Fun arrangement! Your samples may not be the best, but they fit the style of the game and music very well, so I wouldn't feel right rejecting this mix on those grounds.

YES

(P.S. Since he's gonna have to provide us with a version sans glitch, can someone talk this guy into replacing the french horn, pleeeeeeaaaase?)

• 2 weeks later...

This is such an awesomely happy sounding track. I dunno how people can complain about the samples. They're perfect for what they're doing in the mix. Everything balances together almost perfectly. I actually liked the french horn. I think there's a bit of war-bias against the French going on here, go figure. ;)

Anyway, arrangement is great, soundscape is great. Fix the glitch and we're ready to go.

YES

I have to agree with Zirc and BGC - these samples really are below our standards here. The percussion in particular struck me as being very GM soundset like. The instruments sound very stiff and unexpressive, and that for me spoils the whole feel. Yes the arrangement is pretty good, but the sounds seem as if they are what is holding this back from it's full potential. This is the first time I've rejected a mix purely on samples used, but this really deserves some better sounds.

And yeah of course that click/pop as well.

NO

i've listened to this a couple times.

this is about as borderline as borderline gets for me, but as i have before, i'm going to stick to my arrangebias, and not let one or two cheesy samples spoil the soup for me.

the orchestration is very well thought out, and as vig mentioned, very uncluttered.

as far as i'm concerned, this passes.

YES

• 4 months later...

Bless his heart, this n00b wants to help us, but it turned out he's pretty stupid.

Just got this email about an hour and a half ago from the guy, after mailing him twice about that audio glitch fix:

dude, i didnt make that remix. i found it somewhere on Limewire. its an orchestrated version.

i know nothing about how to mix songs, so i cant help you.

i always loved your website ever since i found out about it and i always thought some of the songs i found would make a good addition to it.

i have a couple other good songs that are perfect quality, but i didnt make them. and i believe those other songs would make a fine addition to the site.

sorry man. looks like "Dawn of a New Day" will never see the light.

I dont know if you'd want the other songs i found or not, so you may or may not reply to ask for them. i dont care

-Charlie

P.S. theres this amazing Jenova remix i found thats from Final Fantasy 7 and its in perfect quality, i believe, but i dont know if you'd want it since i didnt make it

I replied with...
Quoting OCR's Submission Standards and Instructions: "The person submitting the ReMix either has to have created it themselves or have direct permission from a party involved in its creation. Please don't email us suggesting we post someone else's ReMix - email them suggesting they submit it." (http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions#Who_can_submit_and_how_often.3F )

Since this track was not created by you, and you do not have the artist's permission to submit the track on your behalf, we definitely cannot post this arrangement. Beyond that, there's also no information out there to verify who the original artist is. Thanks for the information, however. You may want to promote awareness of other VGM arrangements you like by posting about them in our Community forums, located at http://www.ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9.

I'll keep this decision intact for the time being, and do some further research on the arrangement. Perhaps we may be able to somehow locate the original artist and obtain a better copy of the arrangement. Please allow me about a month to explore all possibilities. For now, this track will be taken off of the To Be Posted list as if it were never submitted, but this thread will remain intact. If nothing turns up, it's a done deal.