Undertale

ad.mixx

Undertale_cover.jpg

So I tried searching and couldn't find a topic on this for some reason, and was curious on everyone's opinion of this game. (if there is a topic, this can be locked)

From Wikipedia:

"Undertale is a role-playing video game developed and published by Toby Fox under his pseudonym tobyfox. The game was released on 15 September 2015.

The game has received critical acclaim from video game critics, with particular praise for its humor.

Undertale features traditional role-playing video game gameplay with several differences. The player has the option to either fight their enemy or spare them. When fighting, the player must time their key presses to do more damage, and enemy attacks must be avoided in a short bullet hell style mini-game. The player can also perform many nonviolent actions on enemies such as talking to them, consoling them, or flirting with them, making the enemies not want to fight back. If this is done correctly, the player can spare the enemies and the fight will end."

It was recently released after being kickstarted a while back. It's basically an Earthbound-inspired RPG with a fun battle system, amazing (I mean AMAZING) boss fights, and great story (witty, charming, sad, happy, dark, all over the place).

Anyone played it yet? Thoughts, opinions? I think OCR would specifically enjoy this for the soundtrack. It's even labled with the tag "great soundtrack" under Steam. I can't wait until some OCReMixes pop up from this game, they're gonna be great.

I can't imagine that there won't be remixes of some of the tracks - already the game has spawned a mini-remixing scene.  

My favorites from the OST were Bonetrousle, ASGORE's theme, Waterfall, and of course

(which is, itself, a remix of a remix of a track edited into a fanhack of Earthbound - all by the same artist over the years).

Some of the remixes and covers that are already out are pretty good too,

.  I certainly wouldn't be surprised to hear folks considering doing some mixes of some of the tracks in the game.  There's quite a lot of them to choose from with the 101 tracks the game comes with.

I love this game a lot.  It's gotten further under my skin than any other game I've ever played.  I'm going to be doing a LOT of arranging of this music.  The composition of the soundtrack is incredibly tight--every character has a distinct theme, and the themes are woven together so carefully that they actually contain spoilers about the relationship of various characters.

My brief cover of the Shop theme is my most popular sound on SoundCloud somehow.  Therefore, I'm going to link it's less popular sibling, the YouTube video of the same recording:

I just now heard of this game and god, I'll buy it straight away. Everything I've seen until now looks incredible.

I never heard of the composer though. Has he done anything noteworthy before or is this the first 'complete' soundtrack? It's really, really good.

All I know is that he did some Music for HomeStuck at some point or another.

Otherwise, this is his first complete game and soundtrack.

All I know is that he did some Music for HomeStuck at some point or another.

Otherwise, this is his first complete game and soundtrack.

I guess everyone has to start somewhere. And I just saw that he is also the guy who made the game. I love people who just go ahead and create something like this all on their own.

It's just something else if a game is created mostly by one person and still surpasses major AAA titles with hundreds of people working on them. Also loved Cave Story and Dust for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

we are slowly making our way through it and are in the cave past the snow town. Really funny and charming so far, DragonAvenger and I are loving it. :-)

My remix is about 2/3 done, with about 4:40 completed, and the rest sketched out, at around 7 minutes total. I am really happy with how it is coming out, and I am really excited to show it off, I am using a ton of new studio synths, so while it definitely has an OA vibe to it, it sounds really new too. :-)

haha oh man, I was like,  

"ok WTF is wrong with my computer?" when it autoclosed and then was being all weird afterward. I tried a few things but the fight hadn't resumed yet, and we were going to just call it a night on the game, right before it started up again. Super awesome and creative boss fight.

As for our second playthrough,  

it'll be similar to the first, since we only killed Toriel, and that was by accident. I think we need to explore the world a bit more too, but the fights will be pretty similar

How blown is your mind?!

and thanks for listening to the mix

O God,

when Flowey showed up I was really mad like "youuuu BASTARD" and then when the game crashed when it did I was all "WTF HAPPENED?!?!" Such a creative design element. All the boss fights are pretty creative but that was definitely one of the heights of "holy shit"-factor in the game.

And honestly, lmao I felt legitimately scared of Flowey after that. I even almost killed him at the end when he started talking shit.

Sorry about Toriel ;_; Better luck next time