Best Dude55

1. work-in-progress Sonic Rush Adventure - Coral Cave remix

39 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, so I finally got all of my VSTs re-downloaded, and decided to take another look at this remix after seeing the new Sonic album released.

It's been over a year since I've really done any music stuff, so this new version probably won't be the best. To be honest, I didn't change much from the last version, just a few things here and there. However, I figured since it's been about a year and a half since the last post, there may be other people on the forum now that may be able to add their thoughts in addition to the other posts so far. Here is a link to the newest version: https://app.box.com/s/bw7lfimge7681g2fu62ofppxvgd4zmg6

Thank you!

Probably the last bump I'll make on this unless some suggestions roll in. I don't really have anyone else to consult for music help so any and all comments are really appreciated ^^

Well, I apologize for yet another bump, but I just can't seem to walk away from this remix.

I went out and bought a pair of studio monitor headphones and an external DAC to try and improve what I can hear for working on this. I've made a couple changes, mainly related to mixing, but I would still really appreciate suggestions!

https://app.box.com/s/xfg85hfbx77tfw4d40m7wfg1t4e8pwsn

I suppose I'll give this another bump since it's been about 3 months. If this much bumping in a row isn't allowed, just let me know and I'll stop. I just figure not many people are gonna see the thread a few pages down.

Wow, you've been at this one for a while! I tried both version 6 and 8 alongside each other, and I must say that there is obvious improvement in the sound quality in your latest version. I doubt I could offer anything that previous listeners have already said, but I personally enjoy the song as a pretty dang good cover. If it's deviation from the original that the judges want, I suggest that some playing around with the melody as the song goes on would be an easy way to keep the listener engaged. You know, first run through is faithful, second is more ornamental and interpretive. Would love to see this make it past the judges panel and into my OC library!

Thank you for the input!

I've made a new version again, I tried mainly adding some countermelodies and such mainly in the second half of the song. I feel like I'm sort of hitting a wall with ideas at this point but I'm trying every once in a while to add something new in!

https://app.box.com/s/x1vnb945exx6xhhuumqopja088nf11bs

Well, I listened to the current and previous renditions, the slight changes and such sound good to me. I don't know if it is original enough to pass the judges, though. Have you tried submitting it already? If so and it didn't pass, my condolences. Try to think about what you are trying to say with this mix and what you can do with it (besides make a sweet cover.) What kind of flairs stand out to you in dance music? Is it trilling melodies, catchy counter melodies, making two notes into six, epic builds ups, etc, etc, etc? Play around with the melody or rhythm, be bold and break from the slick mold you've made. YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks for the input!

And I haven't submitted this to the panel yet. With how long things usually take to get through the panel, I'm basically too nervous to submit it unless I'm more than say... 90% confident it'll pass, haha. I do admit though, when I originally started this remix, I was right out of high school after having been in band for 4 years, so my musical ear was a bit... better back then. So basically, I'm struggling quite a bit coming up with new ideas since I haven't really done much music stuff in a few years. However I can't just leave behind 3+ years of work and $400 of audio equipment I got specifically to get this onto the site, so I really want to try to see this to completion. I appreciate the advice though! I'll keep trying to come up with... something!

I'm not a judge, but to my ears this version has plenty of personalization, with its emphasis on leads and arps over groove in the original. Apart from the ending, I don't feel like it's missing anything arrangement-wise, I was plenty of interested throughout and there was a lot of variety in small and large scale (again, if you ask me).

Mix/sound is pleasant and e.g. the leads are decidedly on top of the mix, easily listenable like they should be.

There's a bit of harmony clashing here and there, for instance at 1:49 the backing is in different key than the descending arpeggio thing. I'll try to find time to timestamp these. I saw I said this already a couple of years ago, oops..

Now back to the ending, it definitely sort of peters out. I've had a couple of arrangements myself where I got feedback that the piece just ends, for a couple I made little codas that resolved properly and that seems to have worked well enough. You could work what you have here into a more assertive coda that ends with a nice resolving chord, instead of things kind of fading out, I feel like there's at least the seed of that there. Or perhaps you could try to make a build-up into a climax at the end there.

For my money, once the harmony clashes are sorted out, this is really great listening (and makes me want to re-play the game ...), and definitely making the ending more confident is also worth working on. Again can't speak for evaluation, but this is very close to a fine VGM rearrangement and very close what I'd feel comfortable submitting.

Thanks so much for the input!

I was at MAGFest this past weekend and went to one of the OCR panels, and got some more inspiration to work on this more tonight. I mainly just changed the ending like you had mentioned so that it hopefully isn't as abrupt and such. I tried to sort of giving it a bit more energy before easing it out, and ended it on a (hopefully) better chord. I haven't quite gotten the time to work on the harmony fixes yet but those will probably be next!

I don't think the link changed since it just updates the file, but I'll post it here again anyway!

https://app.box.com/s/x1vnb945exx6xhhuumqopja088nf11bs