*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Chrono and Marle's First Date'

Emunator

Contact Information

·        Your ReMixer name

·        Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

Submission Information

·        Name of game(s) arranged

• UHHHHH FRIGGEN CHRONO TRIGGER

·        Name of arrangement

• Crono and Marle’s First Date

·        Name of individual song(s) arranged

• Millenial Fair with a couple surprise CT Series melodies thrown in
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
    • Composed by my Man Yasunori Mitsuda
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
  • I was jamming along to stuff on my guitar and this came up and I was like…heyyyyyyyy……this sounds pretty coooooool…. So I made a rock song out of it.  The idea is a college/punk rock type song. Crono and Marle have just saved the world and so finally Crono could relax and take Marle around the fair like a regular couple without the threat of aliens or magicians or little pink bald guys trying to kill them every freakin five minutes.  I was going to do some solo stuff in the track, but I wasn’t digging anything I came up with until I tried playing some other CT series melodies over it.  Can you tell which songs they are?  I’m so damn clever.  Anyway, enjoy people.  Blast it in your car with your windows down and subject the populace to some CHRONO TRIGGER BEATS

Source:

Initial thoughts... cool, spunky adaptation, a little repetitive but at first glance I'd pass the arrangement. Mixing seems very low-mid dominant, it feels like the highs have been scooped out and the lead is a touch buried/quiet. Seems plenty loud without being overbearing/overcompressed, guitar tone is slick.

I'd love to have OA take a listen to this particularly and give his thoughts on the EQ, since this genre is more his forte.

Regardless, this needs a clean fadeout for sure, it cuts right off at the end.

Coming back to this.

EDIT: After reading Larry & Kris' votes, I feel a lot more confident in my original assessment that the mixing is not quite there yet. Send 'er back, I love this arrangement!

NO (resubmit!)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling like the repetition combined with the fairly straightforward arrangement is putting this close to the line for me. The track has a lot of energy, and overall I love that it can be described as spunky. I definitely think the mixing is a little rough around the edges, but I feel like that is part of the charm here. Overall I think it's really close, but I'm willing to give it a pass. Curious to see what others think on this one though.

Yes (borderline)

The mixing definitely isn't great here. It's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but there's almost no high-end clarity here, so the leads don't cut through the foreground, and the rhythms guitar, while powerful, add a ton of mud. That said, this is a very spirited, well-performed rock cover. I see what DragonAvenger is saying about repetition, but I felt the personalized sound of the performance demonstrated the interpretation we look for (in combination with other things).

The "HUAH" voice at 1:55 was too loud and clean compared to the rest of the track, and sounded stapled on top of it.

Is that orchestration at 3:01 being added in? Sounds like some nice brass accents, though that AND the padding line at 3:15 both just sound like indistinct mud. Solid ending, though we'll definitely need a proper version where the tail isn't cut off.

The mixing being so imbalanced and unclear hurts an otherwise strong, energetic rock cover. Tighten that up, Michael, and fix the ending or just re-render it so the end isn't cut off, and THEN let's get this posted. Close, and I won't be mad if it passed as is (with the ending fixed), but I feel the mixing is currently below the bar. Awesome work so far, so let's get the last bit of (important) detail work taken care of.

NO (resubmit)

The mixing isn't great, is it.  The lead guitar is the biggest offender imo.  It sounds really fuzzy, quiet and distant compared to the rhythm guitars which sound cleaner, louder and more up-front than the lead.  The hats and crashes have no high end and that's a shame.

Larry is right, "huah" does sound stapled on top as it is quite clean.  At least it is brief.

I agree with Larry that while this arrangement is repetitive, the live performance aspect and it's resultant variations makes the repetitiveness workable.  The guitar performances are quite good.

The padding at 3:15 is ok in theory but it is mixed cleanly compared to everything else so it doesn't fit.  Clean up the mixing on the lead guitar and the hats/crashes and bring some life into them, and this whole arrangement is going to come to life.  I hope you can get us a render that captures the last bit of the final note and it's reverb tail.  I like this, it's very close I think.

NO (borderline, resubmit)

Yow, that lead guitar is pretty indistinct. I love the energy and the new runs and chugs that you added, but the mixing is really not doing this justice. This would be a great song to take to our Workshop if you need more detailed feedback beyond what we've given you here. I also wasn't totally feeling the orchestration in the last minute (came out of nowhere) but could live with it if the execution was better. I think this is a cool take on the theme that would be enjoyed by many if you can fix it up.

NO (resubmit)