*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'A Link Between the Grief'

Emunator

Montr3uil

Laurent Montreuil

Sub, info

The legend of zelda: Majora's mask

Arrengement Name:«The Link between the grief»         <---------

( you can look on google how the 5 stages of grief are actually in the game)

Medley featuring:

This is my first submission here, but also my third arrangement ever( if you look closely you can almost see the actual progress of my knowledge as the song progress xD, in terms of composition and the use of virtual instruments). I wanted to post my stuff here because I knew it would be a challenge to deliver something that needed higher standards of quality and this is why I've dived (or faceplanted) in the world of mixing, Eq's and compression, in the hope of delivering something a little more polished and somewhat professional, I probably failed but hey, thats how it is. As for the composition, I tried to keep the best of the original, and tried to increase its awesomness by not modifying the original structure too much but also by adding different instruments and riffs for the guitar,also solos, lots of em. Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is quite ambitious for a first submission, bravo on the effort! I think a lot of listeners would enjoy this for its merit, your soloing generally works well with the source tunes and you introduce a lot of creative ideas here with your guitar effects, original riffs, etc. The solo section at the end of the Astral Observatory section was sick, probably my favorite part of the song.

As far as OCR submission goes, this is not really what we're looking for. Though there are some common links between each section, for the most part this feels like several disparate parts that don't transition very neatly into each other - it feels like an collection of distinct songs. In order to tailor this more for OCR submission, if that's what you're interested in, I would suggest honing in on one or two of the ideas that you feel fit the best and fleshing those out into a full song. There's definitely a place in the VGM world for a track like this but it's not particularly what OCR is looking for.

Generally I felt like your performances were a little on the sloppy side, and the drum sequencing didn't always fit well with the rest of the instrumentation (for example, the drums in the Astral Observatory section feel spastic and don't really fit in line with the rest of the instrumentation. The drums at 6:00 - 6:10 feel like they have a swing to them that doesn't feel right, too...) A lot of this is probably just a result of inexperience, I have no doubt this is something you can smooth out with more practice, but there's a lot of wrinkles here that could be ironed out with more polish.

Personally, I'd suggest leaving this track as is and chalking it up as a great learning exercise. You've clearly got chops, but I don't think you're quite there yet! Good luck!

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, Wes gives some great advice here. I'd suggest picking one or two sources to work with in the future to really be able to flex your arrangement capabilities and to give you a smaller pallet to work with. The track is a fun listen, but you're trying to cram a lot into a small space as it were. Hope to hear more from you in the future!

No