*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Primitive Man'

Emunator

Contact Information

·        Your ReMixer name

• Michael Lochlann
·        Your email address ·        Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile
Submission Information

·        Name of game(s) arranged

• UHHHHH FRIGGEN CHRONO TRIGGER
·        Name of arrangement
  • Primitive Man
·        Name of individual song(s) arranged
  • Primitive Mountain
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
  • Composed by my Man Yasunori Mitsuda
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I don’t even like the original song (that much) but it came up on my guitar practice playlist and the bass part sounded awesome when I droptuned my 7th string to A to play it.  A week later, here is the song. I tried to make it in the vein of Belzebong, one of the best doom metal bands.  I chose the title both because it fit the original song and because I feel like doom metal is really about that, our anger, lust and fight, the things a man unchained from society would really be about.

(I know I submitted the last one a few days ago, but both tracks are done and I wanted to send before I forgot about it.  SORRY.  OR NOT SORRY. )

Source:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I'm seriously impressed by how you took one of the less-memorable sources from the Chrono Trigger OST and adapted it into a very unconventional genre in a way that totally works. I'm shocked, but you did good picking an appropriate style to work this into and fitting your production style to that aesthetic. Awesome guitar tone, and the noise effects really drive home the primal feel you're going for. You stick pretty close to the source for the most part without too many surprises, but the transition to double-time melody is a lot of fun and there's some neat bass soloing to break things up.

Everything else about this is clicking for me... but the 30 seconds of hard panning on the intro (and a few other times throughout the is literally impossible for me to listen to on headphones without it being painful. Am I the only one with grandpa ears that can't deal with hard-panned audio for more than a couple of seconds, or is that bothering other judges too? I'd be totally cool signing off on this but I literally can't listen to this song via my preferred listening method without getting a headache :-(

Also, your song cuts off abruptly at the end - that'll need to get fixed for sure. Other than that, I dig it!

YES (conditional on panning and cutoff ending)

• 2 weeks later...

You're not alone Wes.  I can't stand hard panning, and I listen mainly on speakers.  On headphones it is worse.  Yet, I see what he was going for here, bringing in one rhythm guitar and then the other.  So it's a purposeful stylistic choice.  Hhhhm.  Maybe if something else were happening on the right while the left panned guitar played alone (and vice versa later in the track), it wouldn't feel so unbalanced during those sections.

Drums sound good but they could be louder.  

I love the concept.  The guitar parts are very well played.  Good cohesive arrangement.  The soundscape once it is established doesn't change too much, other than when the bass does some soloing at 2:10.  The guitar writing tends to get repetitive.  The synth bass solo starting at 2:38 is... idunno, odd-ish, then we get the panned rhythm guitars back.  Everything after 2:38 is pretty samey for me, writing-wise, and the unchanging soundscape makes it even more repetitive.  The jury is out for me on this one.  I'm leaning towards NO but I'll revisit it.

• 3 weeks later...

Panning is not working for me either, especially when there's nothing going on in the other ear. Definitely something I think should be looked at and fixed up here. Aside from that I think the style transition fits really well, and really makes everything feel, well, primative. 3:42-end feels pretty aimless, and after the repeat of the opening theme the section before that I was expecting something a little more interesting, so I really start to lose focus. As Kris said, it starts to get a bit samey, and I think it might be worth revising to keep the listener engaged.

Really good concept here, needs a bit more work though. Panning needs to be revised, and I'd consider something different for the second half.

NO (resubmit)

Not a huge fan here of the extreme panning in the intro either, at least for this duration. It'd be more acceptable if the portion was shorter or was balanced with something on the other side. You could possibly use a reverb or delay line panned to the other ear for those parts.

The mixing here is ok, although the rhythm parts do drown out the drums pretty significantly. I'd really like to hear the drums a bit louder in comparison to the other elements. The bass is also regulated to being a discernible rumble at times. You will always have this issue with heavy guitars, but it would've been nice to hear the bass more.

I found the arrangement here ok, if a little safe. The last 3rd of the track began to feel samey to me, and the lack of a lead made some sections feel like they went on longer than they needed to.

The combination of these factors tips me to the No camp. The mix is pretty good overall, but there are a couple challenges I'd like to see overcome before we can see this one through.

NO

The sludgey tone works really well for a more primal song, I really enjoy that aspect of the mix .he early panning could work, but there needs to be something on the other side, even if it's a very subtle pad or clean arpeggio. 

I think the area that needs the most work put in right now is the arrangement and the repetitive nature of it. Even though there are a few variations on the theme, they all feel very similar, as there are no countermelodies or other sections to break up the main theme. I think a little more variety of parts or sections in this would help it feel like a more cohesive song. It's a really nice start, but needs a bit more work. :-)

No, please resubmit

Jive nailed my thoughts here.  Liking the approach a lot.  Not liking the hard panning on my headphone setup - especially for how much it's used.  Drums don't have a weak tone per se, but the volume/presence of the guitars is drowning them out a bit too much.  

Nice changeup a bit after the 2 minute mark.  Liking bass writing.  Guitars are pushing it out a bit more than they should again here.  As mentioned, I would've liked to hear some more variation in the second half as well.

I definitely feel this one can work with some production & arrangement tweaks.

NO resubmit, please