OCR00596 - Revenge of Shinobi "Chinatown (Bad Sushi)"

orkybash

Revenge of Shinobi 'Chinatown (Bad Sushi)'

djpretzel succeeds in merging his usual technofunk (if that's even the right way to describe it) style with a very oriental sound and flavor to produce one of his more interesting remixes. Everything's spot on here, as it is with most of da dj's work - I really can't find a single element to criticize. Recommended.

• 10 months later...

The original is one of Yuzo Koshiro's best and also the best game tracks of all time. DJP did a great job adding to this, such as most the second half of the mix. I'm surprised no one else has reviewed this. I may be doing a more ethnic take of this mix in the future, I hope I can do something of this quality. Great production values in here as well. Excellent work DJP.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

THIS TRACK NEEDS MORE REVIEWS I mean come on now.

It's really slick smooth, sounding unlike all of djp's other mixes. I can never remember how the song goes except for the first seconds of the song, but instead I just remember how soothing it sounds the rest of the way through, and then it never gets so old that I have to delete it, unlike all the PunchOut mixes on this site...

• 7 months later...

Ambient beats mixed with some very nice synths, this is a really nice track. The main motif sounds good, but what really makes this is the lead lines that are layered over it. The synths are super clean and have a very appealing sound to them.

One thing that I would have preferred would have been a more driving beat, especially in the kick. I think it would have lost a bit of the tranquil feeling it has now, but would have gained a lot more forward momentum.

Regardless, this is still a good mix and seems to be a bit overlooked judging by the number of comments.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The title of my post's kind of ambiguous, but that's only encompassing way I could think of to describe this track. It's so many things, at once- relaxing, but it drives you while it unwinds you.

I only wish it were longer. Hmm, it actually makes me feel like going across the bridge to Chinatown and eating something yummy on a summery evening after a thunderstorm or something ^^.

• 7 months later...

Drumwork is solid, which really drives the piece. Melody is nice, which kept me interested.

Not sure if I'm sold on the synth choices, but I think it's more an age factor at this point. Nothings bad about them, but I would like to hear more realistic flutes, for example. I imagine it was pretty good for it's time, though, so I'm not really complaining.

Nice work overall.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The soundtrack on Revenge of Shinobi is fantastic. It demonstrates really well the capability of the Genesis/Mega Drive. The soundscape here is really pretty and soothing. The drums keep the mix moving whilst not pushing it on too far or drawing attention away from the chilled lead lines. If you're wanting a chillout track to relax or work to, this is what you've been searching for. Great stuff, reccommended to to both shinobi and non-shinobi fans.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00596 - Revenge of Shinobi "Chinatown (Bad Sushi)"