OCR03251 - Super Castlevania IV "The Night King's Lament"

Liontamer

• 3 weeks later...

This is excellent. Why hasn't anyone said anything?

This is at once cinematic but not generically so. The fight sounds like it starts at 1:35, but everything else around it was leading up to it. This really conjures a "finale" atmosphere, like something that is certainly fit to be near the end of the album. Almost sounds cathartic at 3:55. Appropriate last track to the mixflood, because this is (deceptively?) great!

• 1 month later...

The original battle theme for Dracula is one of my all time favorite SNES tracks. So I had high expectations going into this track already. And man does this deliver. The original track was more ominous than anything else. This track retains that ominous feeling, but adds that “cinematic confrontation” vibe which not only creates more tension when thinking about Dracula, but creates a wonderful sense of drama that you’d expect in a final battle. Rarely do final battle themes sound as climactic as they do in this track, and I love it so much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agreed, this definitely cranks up the sinister tension of the source into levels of cinematic awesometude. Highlights:

0:52 - Soft and sad choir marks the presence of a lonely moon, Simon's only source of illumination (as well as hope and determination).

1:14 - I like to imagine the battle arena is being revealed by parting mists at this point.

1:28 - A simple shift to slightly lower notes (while still rather high) acts like a warning: "Watch your back, Simon - Dracula's no pushover."

2:07, 3:51 - The battle's getting intense...

2:18-2:24, 4:02-4:09 - ...and the choir punctuates it by crying out in poetic and melodic anguish. Seriously, these are my favorite parts. I often stop what I'm doing and let myself feel the raw emotion and energy here.

4:33 - The lingering string makes me want to cry - for Simon's struggle, Dracula's defeat, the sun about to rise, anything.

Would've liked a different wolf howl sample the 2nd and 3rd time around (making it the same each time kinda detracts from the soundscape's impact). Regardless, this mix is so many levels of addicting.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03251 - Super Castlevania IV "The Night King's Lament"
  • 1 month later...

So fitting for the finale struggle against Dracula himself, with the sound FX and climatic percussion over the powerful, yet almost sad choir. Excellent mood setting, with the arrangement driving home the emotions. Some powerful cinematic magic in this ReMix indeed, splendid work man.