OCR03325 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Dancing in the Jungle'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

Submission Information

Commentary:       I really have little to say about this other than one day I was bored at work, I slapped along to Brinstar, had loads of fun. I tried my hardest not to overthink this remix and really evoke the 70's disco as much as possible.  

• 3 weeks later...

There was an obvious sour backing note at :36, but otherwise pretty solid. I thought the percussion, while varied, was kind of vanilla; another J may be able to articulate why that is. A little loose in places, but it's pretty purposeful, and the personality of this shines through. Pretty subtle & cool usage of the chip tones as well; it accents the piece and works well without sounding gimmicky or forced. Cool stuff with some rough edges that add to the flavor!

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
Ahh, I love this source! Great choice, and I love the rock band feel of the arrangement. The bass and guitar work are super fun overall, and the organ is a great idea for fleshing out the soundscape. The synth work isn't outstanding, but it's alright. There seem to be a few slight execution flaws on the guitar and bass, for example some timing issues are particularly noticeable in the solos. The drums sound a bit autopilot-y and slightly mechanical at parts, and I'd have liked to hear it with a bit more punch and presence to it. These problems are individually easily overlooked, but together they add up enough for me to be slightly concerned, but not enough to break the deal.

As for source usage, the arrangement is pretty straightforward, but the stylistic change and the melodic explorations make it acceptable to me.

I believe there might be some room for improvement, but it still sounds good to me as it is and I wouldn't mind it being posted.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Unlike most Super Metroid remixes, which usually stay very close to the game's overall somber, solitary feel, you managed to infuse it with a different feel that's more on the brighter and fun side, without being too happy, just enough to make a difference, so kudos on that.  

With that said, I feel this could've used a bit more work.  The performance is loose at times, and even gets a tad sloppy at some spots specially with the fast guitar hook.  Adding to that the bass seems to lose itself in some of the quick notes and does not follow the beat all too well.  The overall mix and mastering, although not bad, could be tighter as well, as the instruments don't feel cohesive enough, but this is not a major issue for me.

Regarding the arrangement I wasn't feeling the first half of the song, but I really enjoyed the second half as it explored the original in fun and inventive ways that flowed naturally.   The first half however, from 0:35 until around 1:45 felt a bit aimless to me and it could maybe use some restructuring to make it flow better into the more interesting section.

Overall I think I can give this a pass as the production issues I found didn't bring the mix down and the approach to interpretation worked very well.

YES (borderline)

The arrangement is spot on - a very creative, eclectic take on a great source. The guitar work is actually pretty good; stylistically I think the looser performance is justified, though there's one funny note at 0:36 in the background which caught me a little off guard. It's barely noticeable, thankfully, and doesn't bring this track down much, but be sure to correct mistakes like this next time you submit a track. As far as source goes, this easily checks out, and there's more than enough creativity in the arrangement for a spot on OCR.

The production is pretty good - it's well mixed and clean. It only complements the fine arrangement. The lead guitar could be mixed a bit more in the front, and a few moments where all the guitars play together gets a little muddy, but these are rather minor, overall. Great work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2014/12/30) *YES - TAG* Super Metroid 'Dancing in the Jungle'
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic