OCR03329 - *YES* Golden Axe 2 'Ravaged Metal'

Chimpazilla

Hello guys, Shinray here !

We previously submitted a theme of Guile from street fighter 2 ("Guile's Theme goes with metal").
We're back in the field to submitt to you this time another arrangement. It's a theme fromGolden Axe II on Genesis called "Ravaged Village" (first stage's theme).

We hope that you'll enjoy it guys !

If you want to listen to it quickly here are some links : 
  • Video : 
  •  
  • Only audio and download (.wav) : 

Information needed : 
  • Time : 2'54
  • ReMixer name : Shinray
  • email address  : 
  • Name of game arranged : "Golden Axe II"
  • Name of arrangement : "Ravaged Metal"
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged : "Ravaged Village"
  • Additional information : 
    • The arrangement, composing and mixing have been made by Benjamin Dupré, Matthieu Budin and Benoit Serraillier. 

Thank you OC Remix !
Best regards

Benoit

Shinray

Damn, those rhythm guitars! This is a pretty straightforward metal cover that rises above the crowd because of your awesome technical performances, well-chosen guitar & synth tones, and pristine production. We get a LOT of submissions in this style so it's easy to blend in with the crowd, but fortunately that's not the case here. Just enough variation and original writing sets this apart from the source and elevates it out of "cover" territory, but still leaves the best parts of the source intact and amplified to enjoy in all its glory.

Nothing more to say, you guys nailed it!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The guitars are (rightly) getting a lot of love above, but those drums are where I'm falling in love with the engineering on this song. SO good. I'm a little less pumped about most of the synth mixing, as the patches for most of the leads could have used more bite and more movement to sit alongside the guitars better, but that's nitpicking. This is otherwise a stellar song, and yeah, it's conservative, but it's executed incredibly well and there's obviously personalization (is that a word? there's a red line under it) as well.

On a side note, I'm rather impressed with the source tune as well, since it's a great usage of the Genesis FM synth without getting too gnarly. Anyways.

3metal5me.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't a fan of the mixing off the bat, because the lead at :14 felt buried under the rhythm guitars, which sounded muddy and cluttered. The panning also sounded a bit too wide on some parts, which stood out on headphones to me, but nothing that was a enough of a dealbreaker there. The mixing wasn't ideal, and some more selective EQing/filtering would have made this sound clearer, but what's here is otherwise strong, so the decision tilts toward the impressive arrangement and performance, which rock. Golden Axe doesn't get nearly enough love, and Shinray hook it up again with some attention-grabbing energy.

YES

• 1 month later...
Well, this rocks hard! Cool short-and-sweet arrangement, awesome energy. Amazing performances, great production. I personally think the synth sound design is slightly generic at parts, but the playing is excellent. Guitar playing is splendid, and the melodic explorations are super sweet. The arrangement is pretty close to the original overall, but the flourishes and solos definitely bring enough personalization to the table.

Bottom line: great rocking track! Keep 'em coming!

YES

Great, great offering here, i enjoyed it thoroughly.  Hard hitting guitar chugs, very exciting and fun solos, good production and solid arrangement and interpretation of an already very nice original.  I don't have many things to nitpick here, besides perhaps the overall mix being sounding a bit too compressed for the genre, most noticeably on drums.  But it doesn't take away at all from the work you've put into it.  Specially enjoyed the signature changes and breaks that help the track set itself apart from your run of the mill rock remix and, along with the solos elevate this song well above our bar.  I'm so very happy you took risks here and there and were not content with a regular, vanilla rock remix, and it paid off.

YES.

• Liontamer unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

The arrangement is top notch - nails the source, and does a lot of cool things with it, with all of those metal solos, leads and fills. Virtually nothing I can add to it, this is awesome.

The production seems fairly tight on this one, other than being a little overcompressed. Considering the genre it's okay, but you should consider not relying on the compression quite as much, if you want the ideal balance of "Loud" and "Clean". There are a few moments where the synths seems mixed a little too loud compared to the rest of the track, which give it some balance issues (such as at 1:51 and 2:49), and the synth is frankly too thin to be brought to the front and not sound strange, but that doesn't take much from the track overall. The production could be a little better, but it's certainly passable.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/01/04) *YES - TAG* Golden Axe 2 'Ravaged Metal'
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic