• AnalogStik
  • John Montoya
  • http://analogstikmusic.com
  • User ID - 53088
  • Game - Mega Man VI

Name of arrangement - Robo-Freeze

Name of original song - Blizzard Man

Personal comments - 

My brother always talked about how he loved Mega Man VI when he was growing up. I decided to give this theme my own little twist by trying to give it that vintage rock sound to it.

Link to remix - 

I have the original file if there are any encoding problems.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

*As a note, we'd need a non-wav version of this*

I kinda like the soundscape you have going on here, as you said, going for a real vintage feel. I feel like the articulations are pretty mechanical all around, and really need some work on the humanization level. The bass drum doesn't have a lot of presence to it, and really could use a bit of a boost.

The big issue going on here is that this is a direct cover of the original source, and replays a couple times before a fade-out. There definitely needs to be some real personalization and arrangement aside from the style change. Take a listen to some of our most recently posted mixes and compare them to their originals to get an idea of what we are looking for here.

NO (override?)

I agree with Deia, the vintage soundscape definitely has some potential, but right now your level of re-arrangement and personal interpretation doesn't seem to go much further than that. I think if you were to work in some original melodies, harmonies, or change up the structure of the song, you could work with this sound pallet you've built, but there's just not much to go off of here.

Like Deia said, take a listen to some of the other tracks that have been posted so you can better gauge the level of interpretation that we're looking for from a mix.

Good luck with your future submissions!

NO

A good foundation to a remix, but there is more work to be done. Your arrangement is very cover like, and tends to repeat its ideas, especially when we hit the halfway point. 

Mixing wise, most of the elements across your mix are missing high frequencies except your lead synth and percussion. Your organ and rhythm guitars in particular. When the lead synth leaves, the hats and snare are really the only part occupying the top end, which makes the entire package sound a little bottom heavy. Your track is also quite dry and doesn't have much discernible ambience/reverb going on.

A great way to get some ideas on how to elaborate on your arrangement and get some mixing tips would be to hit the workshop here in the forum and throw around ideas with the community. For now as the mix stands, it's a 

NO