Contact information:
My remixer name is: MasterGi
My email is: 
My userid is: 52576

Submission information:
Name of game arranged: The legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker
Name of arrangement: Ballad on the Sea
Name of individual song arranged: The Great Sea

Hi! My real name is Giorgio and i'm from Italy. This is the first track that i send to OCRemix! It is a cover of one of my favourite video games song of all the times: The Great Sea from The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker. This cover is in a classic slow rock and roll ballad. I have to thank in particular a Youtube musician: boozinwalsh (this is the link to his youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/boozinwalsh) because i've taken the inspiration for this arrangement from his cover of this song. I hope that my arrangement will be accepted. Bye!
MasterGi 

Oh my goodness... I never would have expected to hear this upbeat 4/4 source slowed down to a dreamy 6/8 ballad.  The source tune plays over and over, but with subtle melody variations and the additional padding that comes in, it never really repeats.  I like the bassline writing.  I personally would have liked even more elements, but the simplicity is working for me.  This is simple yet elegant.

The render cuts off before the end of the reverb tail.  Note for next time, make sure you capture the whole thing. 

edit 11/9/15:  Wes says the guitar is sequenced.  I didn't even catch that on the first listen.  Listening again, it does sound sequenced, very well sequenced.

I'm going to give this a borderline only because of the repetitiveness of the arrangement, and it's length.  Seven minutes is a bit long; I feel it could have been two minutes shorter and that would alleviate some of the repetitive feel.  Even so, I find it very enjoyable.

YES (borderline)

• 4 weeks later...

Kris pretty much has said what I would say to this mix. Wayyyy unexpected and pleasant surprise in the style change here! Really cool to see people find something outside of most approaches to a track and really make it work. That being said, the tempo and the overall lack of a lot of instruments to work with kind of hurts this in the longer run as there's only so much you can do to keep the listener's attention; I found myself wandering a bit towards the end.

Keep up the creativity!

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really unexpected, beautiful adaptation. Your sequencing is actually quite convincing, I don't think I'd have noticed that some of the elements were sequenced unless I'd specifically used those samples in the past... and even then I'm not 100% certain so I may be putting my foot in my mouth at some point in the future! ;-) 

Really though, this is a very immersive arrangement that builds at a near-glacial pace but continues to subtly introduce new riffs and variations. It's easy to get lost in the vibe. Production, humanization, and overall musicality are firing on all cylinders here. If it were me, I would have trimmed a minute or two off the track to make it more succinct, but the overlong arrangement really doesn't counteract all of the other wonderful things you brought to the table.

YES

Basically on board with what's already been said.  Sequencing was handled quite well.  Not sure I would've even noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out TBH.  Source connections are clear throughout.  Very effective translation to the triplet signature.

I felt like the drums got a bit repetitive at times (but other times were just fine).  I agree this could be trimmed a bit without losing the impact of the track.  Felt like it should start resolving a bit after the 5 minute mark.  I'm gonna sign off on this one, but wouldn't mind a revised version that's trims the fat a bit.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer locked this topic
  • 1 month later...