Pokémon Thread 2015/2016 - RBY For 3DS!

The Damned

So, if you watched the November 12th, 2015 Nintendo Direct, they dropped some serious bombs for 2016.

Stuff like Cloud from FF7 in Smash Bros, and, oh, something about MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON RED AND BLUE AND YELLOW ON 3DS!!

Not remakes, but the actual old Game Boy games, on the Virtual Console. It will be out world-wide for February 27, 2016, which is the 20th anniversary of the release date for the firs Pokémon game back in 1996!

The VC versions will keep the game identical to the originals, but will use the 3DS wireless system to allow for battling and trading. That means you should still be able to get 99 Rare Candies and then go catch Missingno.

You could only transfer to Gold, Silver and Crystal originally. Anything from Ruby and Sapphire and on was a different system for not only stats but also storage in the game, making them pretty much incompatible with older games. It simply wasn't feasible at the time to make some sort of conversion system.

Though, I have heard of someone using some very specific custom hardware to emulate hardware and then use some self-made conversion software to allow trading from GSC to the GBA games... but that's just far too much work for something like that.

I doubt Nintendo will do so now, seeing how there would only be the DS and 3DS games, and those are still playable and transferable to current games. So there isn't really any point to transfer and convert something from Gen 1 to gen 4, skipping two whole iterations altogether.

I would say no version is better or worse than the other. Red and Blue are mostly identical, while Yellow has as few unique features.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Yellow_Version#Changes_from_Red.2C_Green.2C_and_Blue  For what's different from Red and Blue.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Red_and_Blue#Game_exclusives  For the pokémon on each version.

If you want a Pikachu to follow you around, and get Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur without trading, Yellow is the answer. If you want the original experience, Red or Blue.

Basically, Yellow is based more on Season 1 of the Pokemon anime (aka the one that most of us grew up with).  You can actually get access to more Pokemon in that game than Red and Blue, with obvious exceptions in Team Rocket's Pokemon, the Beedrill line that tainted Ash's time in Viridian Forest, the elemental-humanshape-trio (Jynx / Electrode / Magmar)... and of course, Raichu.  You also still have a choice between the two Hitmons and the Dome or Helix Fossils.

In addition, your Rival starts off with an Eevee (in which you eventually get and you get to pick what form you want to give it).  The Eeveelution he gives it at the end actually depends on how well you do in your first two fights against him.

Weird timing... I bought Blue at release, casually played it a bit, and then never played another game in the series. I pulled it out again just last week after reading about Nuzlocke rules. I'm enjoying it now a lot more than I did when it first came out. I think at the time I found the quantity of Pokemon and Moves a bit too much to process, so it's been fun to come back and focus on maximizing a smaller subset of the available options. (Sort of like Four Job Fiesta for FFV.)