OverClocked PodCast

The OverClocked PodCast

Hi there!

We’re Stephen and Bryan Kelly, a couple of brothers who run a network of creative projects called Whales are Whales. Our first video game music podcast was called Train Station at 8 (it’s an Animal Crossing reference), but now we’re teaming up to produce the OverClocked PodCast! We’ll cover recent ReMixes, new albums, artist interviews-- all kinds of stuff. It’s designed to be a handy (and hopefully entertaining) way to catch up on the VGM community every week. We’ve been fans of OCR for years on end, so we’re a little bit amazed and a lot honored to be doing this. That being said...

We really, really want to hear what you think of the show and grow it accordingly. Do you have ideas, criticisms, or super funny jokes to be read on the air? Maybe you have suggestions for the Playlist segment or want to be interviewed? By all means, let us know!

Here are some ways to do that:

You can find episodes below as they're updated, or in the OverClocked PodCast subforum, right there on OC ReMix.

Awesome, I remember being a part of Train Station at 8!  I'm glad your talents got recognized and you've got OC Remix's back to run this.  I don't really have much else to say about this other than wishing you the best of luck on this new podcast project. :D

Episode 1 - Andrew Luers (OA)

It's the first episode of the OverClocked PodCast, a weekly dose of video game music news and conversation from OverClocked ReMix! This week we'll unearth a new album of tuneful horror, pretend to shake Austin Wintory's hand thanks to his work on Assassin's Creed Syndicate, talk with Andrew Luers about crafting an Ace Attorney auditory story, and recommend some lovely accordion music to all those accordion fans out there.

Next week's Playlist: Songs with lyrics

Full show notes at Whales are Whales

Episode 2 - Stevo Bortz (Level 99)

This is the OverClocked PodCast, a weekly dose of video game music news and conversation from OverClocked ReMix! This week we'll go through the recent ReMixes in Chrono-logical order, make plans to shake Austin Wintory's hand for real at MAGFest, learn about Level 99's journey to Dinosaur Planet, and play our first listener submissions for The Playlist.

Next week's Playlist: Songs of the 3DS

Episode 3 - The Super Marcato Bros.

This is the OverClocked PodCast, a weekly dose of video game music news and conversation from OverClocked ReMix! This week we'll celebrate the Larrys in our lives, find a suitable replacement for John Williams, and meet up with the other brotherly video game music podcast duo: the Super Marcato Bros.

Next Week's Playlist: Nostalgia

Episode 4 - Christophe Blondel (CarboHydroM)

This is the OverClocked PodCast, a weekly dose of video game music news and conversation from OverClocked ReMix! This week we'll go around and around a mechanical melody, explore the past and future of Phantasy Star Online, and start a New Beginning with CarboHydroM.

Next week's Playlist: Outer space

Ep 3 comments:

From euronerd perspective the "Chris.. Huelsbeck? Machinae.. Supremacy?" was a bit funny (but understandable). Interesting observation about metal stylings + cheery vgm. For interview, I find I was expecting more OC ReMixers, but it was quite interesting (esp. collab methods description) and the tune in question sounded great. I think there was a new variation how to pronounce my name, too :) Keep up the good work!

Ep 3 comments:

From euronerd perspective the "Chris.. Huelsbeck? Machinae.. Supremacy?" was a bit funny (but understandable). Interesting observation about metal stylings + cheery vgm. For interview, I find I was expecting more OC ReMixers, but it was quite interesting (esp. collab methods description) and the tune in question sounded great. I think there was a new variation how to pronounce my name, too :) Keep up the good work!

Ohhhhhhh I was secretly hoping you wouldn't listen. I want to go back and edit that pronunciation so bad. :P

But no, really, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! The Marcato Bros. are actually the only non-OC-ReMixers to appear on the show so far; we plan to mix it up now and then, but the focus will probably be on this site and its community.

Keep up the good work on your end, too.  ;-)

- Stephen

I've seriously enjoyed the episodes 4 & 5 (like the others). I do think the show structure is quite good. I've been thinking opening with the secret song is bold since it has least to do with OCR, but it's pretty fun and really sets the atmosphere of the show. In Tune Interview is the meat of the show and again, great interviews with both CarboHydroM & DrumUltima. Hearing how other ReMixers work is fun and educative. Much appreciated!

I like the secret song bit too. It's really nice when you recognize one of the songs that Bryan or Stephen brings. I actually played Aion for a little while and I adore that soundtrack, so when that Aion song came on I was like "YYYYEEEAAAAHHH!!!"

The Secret Song section is definitely self-indulgent, but it helps us start things off by having fun and loosening up. Glad you guys are enjoy it-- I wasn't sure if that was going over well! If people feel it doesn't fit, tweaking/removing it is always an option... but I personally love the process. :)

It's very rewarding to know that ReMixers are digging the interviews, too. We try to unearth the styles and techniques of everyone who appears on the show, partially so other musicians can compare notes and maybe even learn something.

And Brandon, if you promise not to rally the community in a boycott, we'll agree to interview you in our next round. :-P

Ok... I'll be 100% honest right now... that whole boycott thing, it was just an emotional response and not at all real :lol:

I need to check out the show, been crazy busy and I am moving, but after I move and probably early next year it would be awesome to find out what the whole deal is going on here and yes, if you'd have a scrublord, I could share my very undetailed and scrubbish way of working on songs

17 hours ago, DrumUltimA said:

Thanks for having me on the show, guys!  I had a lot of fun :)

Thank YOU! It was great!

17 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

Ok... I'll be 100% honest right now... that whole boycott thing, it was just an emotional response and not at all real :lol:

I need to check out the show, been crazy busy and I am moving, but after I move and probably early next year it would be awesome to find out what the whole deal is going on here and yes, if you'd have a scrublord, I could share my very undetailed and scrubbish way of working on songs

No worries, I assume everything is a joke until proven innocent! Occasionally to my detriment. :)

And we're hanging up the "Scrublords Welcome" sign at this very moment, so we'll count you in come January/February!

Episode 6 - Brendan Bronzan (jenkofax)

This is the OverClocked PodCast, a weekly dose of video game music news and conversation from OverClocked ReMix! This week we'll remember the dearly departed Satoru Iwata and the games he worked on in a new OCR album, relay our adventures on RadioSEGA, and get amped up-- or, rather, un-amped-- for a Playlist featuring acoustic guitars.

Next week's Playlist: Christmas songs

Full show notes at Whales are Whales

Guys! We've created an OverClocked Podcast forum!

We're automatically pulling in articles from the RSS feed for the podcast to create threads, so any time there's a new episode, a new thread will be created. You can continue to comment here about the podcast, or if you have specific comments about an episode (such as secret song discussion or playlist recommendations for the next episode), feel free to comment in the episode's thread!

Now that DarkeSword has informed us of the super super super cool OCPC forum, I won't continue to bother posting show announcements here. Instead, as he mentinoed, we can use this place to talk about the show in general rather than specific episodes. 

What I WILL talk about here is that we're building a Playlist to commemorate 2015 and need ideas. It'll be released as a mini-episode next week, so please do let us know some of your favorite songs from the year!

- Stephen