OCR03258 - Mother "If You Believe"

Liontamer

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that Zack was intentionally cribbing on another artist's work... this arrangement and style is very much his own! I just found a lot of the same qualities and emotions that I feel when listening to Joe Hisaishi's work also applied to this remix. I meant those comments with the highest order of praise in mind! :-)

I'm with Jeremy - it takes a lot to impress me with an orchestral arrangement these days, but this is one of my favorites. Extremely well done.

I don't think I quite get the same feel as in Spirited Away (probably because I never really watched that film in full as a kid, but I did see it play on Cartoon Network repeatedly---about as often as The Iron Giant, so it's probably good!), but I'm constantly impressed by Zack, so there's no surprise here; this is amazing! Nice and evolving dynamics; full use of the orchestra in their respective roles; evokes the feeling of both flying and a certain emotional tension, for me.

Though I must admit, I checked out the theme song to Spirited Away, and for a moment, I thought I was playing this ReMix, but at 2:52, I realized that there was a YouTube lossiness to it... I checked and forgot that I was playing the Spirited Away theme song. So maybe they really are that similar!

Love this ReMix! Such a hauntingly beautiful tune already, but going full orchestral really brings it out even more! Didn't realize this was part of a Harmony of Heroes "expansion", so I'll need to get on listening to that!

Just as a nit, though, shouldn't the game title be "EarthBound Beginnings"? It's understandable that that might not have been out when this was submitted, though.

Just as a nit, though, shouldn't the game title be "EarthBound Beginnings"? It's understandable that that might not have been out when this was submitted, though.

No. It was released as Mother on the NES in 1989, not EarthBound Beginnings. We usually associate tracks with the version of the game based on the artist's submission comments. For this, Zack explicitly said the source game was Mother on the NES. If the NES version of the game had been released in the U.S. with the title EarthBound Beginnings, then we'd call it that, but that's merely the title of the updated re-release for a different platform 25 years later.

• 4 weeks later...

Opening violin is played beautifully. I really like the thoughtfulness and wonder that this track inspires, along with a sweeping adventurous feeling throughout the mix. I definitely get the epic feel of SMG music, although I do think that this song goes in a different direction than most of the SMG songs, being more peaceful and pondering yet still being quite grand and heroic at times.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03258 - Mother "If You Believe"
  • 1 month later...

I can definitely hear where others are getting some Spirited Away and SMG out of this in it's grand whimsically sounding arrangement. It's a really beautiful ReMix that holds up extremely well as the instruments play off each other and sounds like something I'd hear in a good symphonic concert. Very nice.