ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials 1 or 2?

I'll only be able to afford one of these and they're both at $350. OE2 is a much larger product, much more modern and it says it's a "deepening" of OE1... whatever that means, but I can't actually really tell the difference between the two.

Anyone in OCR who knows the difference between the two and can help a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-at-none composer like me decide which one to go with?

I know this isn't answering your question, but if you're looking for a multi library, and unless you're on a tight deadline, I strongly recommend waiting for some extra cash and buying Spitfire Albion ONE (the new one) instead. It's like Orchestral Essentials in design, but was released a few months ago, by an arguably incredibly superior skilled company (Spitfire is the elite of elite), with way better sound quality, mic options, programming, articulations, and extra goodies (it has "epic" percussions too, along with hybrid synth stuff, etc.) It is the holy grail of all-in-one multi libraries.

It does not have choir though, if that factors into your decision.

Just some advice on what's out there, arguably always good to know before making a purchase.

NB: I have never used either library.

Judging by the descriptions the ProjectSAM site gives of the patches each includes, it looks like OE1 contains mostly patches that blend each section's instruments together -- workhorse ensemble patches in both long and short articulations without solo patches -- while OE2 has mostly patches with smaller and more eclectic blends (low bassoon with piano and harp, horns with trombones in octaves, etc.) -- stuff that can add detail and color but that might be difficult to construct a satisfying orchestral texture with on its own. OE1 seems to be designed for broad strokes of orchestral color, and OE2 seems to be a grab-bag of more specific instruments and instrument blends that don't necessarily have a lot of articulations each.

I think the difference can be illustrated fairly clearly by looking at what each library gives you for strings.

OE1 has:

Real Legato Violins with Flutes unison -- a common doubling used for melodies

Real Cellos with Basses -- a common doubling used for basslines

String Ensemble Arco (sustained notes) -- important articulation

String Ensemble Staccato -- another important articulation

String Ensemble Tremolo -- another important articulation

String Ensemble Pizzicato -- still another important articulation

String Ensemble Cinematic Effects -- stuff for color and pizzazz

OE1 gives you a functional string section with all the important articulations, plus legato doublings that accentuate melody and basslines.

OE2 has:

String Ensemble Sordino -- strings played with mutes; not a super-common technique

Violins Flageolet -- harmonics; not super-common

Violas with Cellos Ponticello Tremolo -- glassier-sounding tremolo in a doubling that keeps it away from both the melody and the bassline

String Ensemble Fast Crescendo -- articulation for special cases

String Ensemble Textures -- color and pizzazz

String Ensemble Effects -- more color and pizzazz

String Ensemble Effects (speed control) -- still more color and pizzazz

OE2 has a bunch of special case stuff that can't be used to build a functional standard string section. It's stuff you might want if you already have a basic string section and want to flesh it out with less common blends and playing techniques.

For what it's worth, this is not an uncommon way to divide content across libraries. VSL and Cinesamples have libraries that do this, too. They give you the workhorse stuff in volume 1, and volume 2 has the obscure articulations and/or the more niche patches.

I'm not enrolling back into college just to save a couple hundred bucks on an orchestral set that's still more expensive than OE1 and 2 combined. Nice of them not to have that restriction all the same though... :P

Well, firstly, I don't think he was saying that, I think he was offering useful information to other readers since threads aren't in a vacuum. :)

Albion ONE is $367 in their cyber sale that's happening in a couple days. How is that more expensive than OE1 and 2 combined? I'm talking about Albion ONE (remake of Albion Volume I, which by the way just came out, so you should go watch the videos for it) which is just the first out of 4 and the only one you need (the rest of the volumes are specific use-case and additional expressions).

I'm not saying you have to go and get it, in fact my advice is always to buy something only if you're going to use it. But in terms of features, sound, and price, it is overall a much better option than OE1. If you feel like you're trying to get bang for your buck here, you should at least look at it, because I personally think OE1 isn't really a solid option at all.

I'm a little more cautious probably because I've been burned by dropping money on seemingly good libraries that just don't really hold up after I start using them. Albion ONE I have used extensively, and it is the one library I recommend to people for "easy orchestra" because 1) it can be as simple or flexible as you want, 2) Spitfire's mics and hall are amazing, 3) the programming and articulations are excellent, and it even has polyphonic legato, 4) it covers the orchestra in a lot of useful subparts.

OE1 by comparison 1) is kind of too simple, 2) has no sound mixing options, 3) doesn't have the same breadth of articulations and the programmig is more dated and 4) kind of traps you in some weirder, specific multis.

However, I will say that if you want OE1 not for writing orchestral music but for the "one key full orchestra", then yes, it's a better option. Albion doesn't include any patches for cross-family writing.

I was both exaggerating and forgetting there was something in there that costs roughly the same as OE. I think it was the shock of seeing orchestral suites and bundles costing upwards of $10,000 that overwrote anything else I saw in there.

Well, maybe I will look at Albion One again. The problem is that sale won't last too song methinks and I don't think I can save up in time. OE is $350 anytime.

Albion ONE would be the better value if you're going head-first into serious orchestral/scoring work and this is the start of an ever-expanding library you plan on building.

OE1 & OE2 are both absolutely solid and would be the better value if you want to check the "symphonic/orchestral" box so you can use those types of elements in your work, but not necessarily focus exclusively on symphonic/scoring in general.

My two cents; can't really go wrong either way.

I think it would be a long-ass time before I get into any serious orchestral work, if I ever did at all, but I do have orchestral needs not requiring hardcore orchestral skills to be addressed, so I need something to supplement my EWQLSO and OE1 seems to be the ticket. Looked fairly easily in my opinion.

I was both exaggerating and forgetting there was something in there that costs roughly the same as OE. I think it was the shock of seeing orchestral suites and bundles costing upwards of $10,000 that overwrote anything else I saw in there.

That would be "the everything bundle", which includes their entire line of... well, everything. All 4 Albions, the whole BML line, all of Sable, all of Mural, eDNA 1-4, all their one-offs and specialties, etc. It's like the "elite british orchestral komplete". Spitfire recently has actually toned down to be in the realm of "super expensive but not ridiculously expensive" ever since they stopped being so incredibly secretive and "VIP club" towards specific composers. I think Albion used to be around $1000 (and actually, back in the day, so was Komplete regular).

Even if you're not interested now, in the future their offerings might be useful to you and each big product is usually in the range of $400-$500, so you don't need to immediately write them off. For something like Sable Vol I, it puts it in the same price tier as stuff like CS2 and CineStrings, so you can judge and compare accordingly.

I'm hoping to not need any more music stuff for quite some time. The only reason I'm looking at OE in the first place is I'm starting to get call for using some of that stuff and EWQLSO just takes too long in my present state of things. I'm not going to be that composer who has $12,300 worth of elite samples and only makes a total of $700 in his quasi-career. :P

Cool toys are their own reward. At least, that's what I tell myself.  :razz:

It's more fun when you can say "it's my business to know the competition" :D

I'm not going to be that composer who has $12,300 worth of elite samples and only makes a total of $700 in his quasi-career.  :P

lot of composers need to hear this. :P

12k$ isn't "much" if it's your passion and you're young with a good job, living at your parents and whatnot. I know guys who bought 8000$ guitars, or spent 28000$ on a motor, etc... And I'm sure one can make much more than 700$ with something like that and determination. Great tools work great. This said, I wouldn't be ready to pay that lol, but maybe one day..

Well that's what I meant, I'm your age, own a house, have two cars, 2 kids and even with a good paying job, I can't afford that just like that, I have other bills like you. I understand you didn't get my comment when I think about it.. I'm from an industrial town and I remember some kids I knew had summer jobs paying around 15000$ for ±3 months, without imposition (because they were students). 15000$ right in their pockets. They were able to afford expensive guitars, amps, bikes, etc.. but yeah a kid working at McDo's in the big city is a different story. Anyway, when they got the real job after they finished school, they didn't know what to buy so they put their money in cars and stuff, still living at their parents for a few years.. when you make 50k$ a year, live at your parents and are 19 years old (a kid), you usually don't have "much" to pay yet..

Now on topic; cause I think it's worth investing in pro-level tools when you can.