Remixer: ibeginwiththeendinmind

Name: Chris Ross
Email: 
User ID: 54548

Link to remix: 

Game: The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
Arrangement Title: A Prisoner's Vengeance
Original Track: Perfect Nightmare

"The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile" is an indie title on XBLA by Ska Studios; the studio also known for "Charlie Murder," "The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai," and "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1." The soundtrack is composed by James Silva, one half of the Studio's team.

The original soundtrack for the game can be heard here:

I felt inspired to join OCRemix after I had heard about it from ExtraCredits, and had had the idea of reworking this track floating around in my head for some time. I really love the atmosphere and language of the track, and felt that it was an incomplete idea, so I set out to flesh it out into what I have here. I moved the direction away from the industrial/punk sound it had, and made it into a straight up metal track. I was playing around with the idea of sung vocals, but I felt that keeping the whispering throughout was in keeping with the atmosphere.

If there is any concern over how close the beginning of the song is to the original (and use of the lyrics therein), I do have permission from the copyright holder to use it in this manner, and his blessing over this song.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

This is somewhat difficult to evaluate initially, as the source song is an intro with vocal, and then 2 short riffs. This is definitely expanded upon in a huge way, being 5 times the length of the original, but beyond the vocal tie in, most of it sounds like pretty much original riffs. The 2 riffs from the source are well-represented, and the original writing is pretty solid. I do think this one is going to require Larry's stopwatch to really tell, but based on the impression I have, it may be too much original writing unless somewhere an additional source is being referenced without it being mentioned. The overall concept is pretty solid, the execution is a touch messy and I think there is some light clipping in a few spots (4:05, 4:11, etc), but that's nothing a bit of surgical EQ can't fix. 

Props for the creative drum writing, there's a lot of good stuff going on and it never feels like it's on autopilot. 

I think there are some good strengths here, but the production needs to be cleaned up a bit, and I'd like a little bit more information on the source use before I can sign off. Definitely shows a lot of promise though!

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, pretty much going to agree with OA here. There's a lot of great writing here, but overall it sounds a bit too overall original to me. I think this would benefit greatly from another source and some more material to work with. I did not listen to the other tracks of the soundtrack, but maybe there's something you can work with?

Gonna also echo that the drums are really great and do an awesome job of emphasizing what is going on!

I'd love to hear more from you, you've got a good style here and I think you're pretty close with this one as-is. Even if you don't get around to reworking this one, I hope you submit again!

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/01/29 - (2N) The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile 'A Prisoner's Vengeance'

Wow this is interesting and good.  I'm loving the mixed time signatures and interesting syncopations.  This is really well crafted.  But ultimately it is much too original.  With a source such as this one, it would be really difficult to get a remix that references the source material enough for OCR's standards.

Here's what I can timestamp:

• 0:00-1:02 vocals (backing easily identifiable) and the two riffs from source (62 seconds)
  • 2:13-2:41 the vocals again, the music here is harder to identify with the source and the time sig here is 7/8 (super cool but hard to identify as source unless just the vocals are enough source but I'm assuming they aren't) (28 seconds)
  • 4:22-5:00 the riffs from source (38 seconds)

Total is 128/300 or 43% but only if the middle section is counted.  I think this falls too much on the original side for OCR. I enjoyed this though, really creepy and really well produced, hope to hear from you again.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/01/29 - (3N) The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile 'A Prisoner's Vengeance'