OCR03261 - Dark Souls II "Kodoku"

djpretzel

Interesting! This reminds me of a more battle-oriented version of something that, thematically, could fit right into Okami and not sound out of place. Props for making the battle cries integrate smoothly into the context. While the ending threw me off just a little, that may be a lack of source knowledge from myself. Regardless, enjoyable and cohesive.

Nice! You’ve made a very dramatic and battle-y mix here, and I’m really enjoying it. DimeTower mentioned the ending, and I do agree that it’s just a little bit off. You ended the song with three chords, but I think you might have been better off with just one. It’s… what, E flat major, A flat minor, and E flat something or other? Perhaps consider one big, booming E flat minor chord instead. As it is, I was inclined to think the first chord alone was the actual ending, and when the other two chords came in I was a bit confused. But regardless, this song’s really good!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not something I’d picture as being inspired from a Dark Souls game. It’s already been pointed out that the flute work here is great. The sitar work is great as well, and the chanting really adds to the tension as well. The percussion sounded great, but then after the 3:28 mark it sounded very muffled to me. It’s a great track, despite the odd production choices near the end.

Great intro, especially in the "flute" (?). The vocals were very nice; they work alongside the percussion really well to give a nice base for the lead and harmonies. What's up with the 3:28 snare? It sounds strangely industrial compared to everything else. Very good mix overall.

Is this Okami or Dark Souls? Intro sounds awesome, very haunting. Did you use a VST for that japanese flute (sorry, don't know the name of the instrument)? It sounds pretty good.

Arrangement is cool. Sounds like something you could put in an action scene from some eastern based movie. Or, alternatively, in a boss fight of Okami haha.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03261 - Dark Souls II "Kodoku"
  • 1 month later...

Oh yeah, I love this so very much. Strong Japanese influence that definitely sounds like the middle of a battle with lots of determination and focus in some areas, and more contemplative in others. Those chants near the end really get you amped for a fight, The flute is fantastic, and the percussion has that animated action scene quality that reminds me of so many other tv shows. Not much to nitpick at that hasn't already been mentioned, and all around, a mix that I will enjoy for quite a while.