OCR04228 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Firewalker"

djpretzel

Nice conversion of a 6/8 source to 4/4, and great guitar performances here!   

Good original transition writing.  The writing, both source and original transitions, is repetitive.  The soloing beginning at 3:11 is a highlight to the track, but the rest just kind of repeats itself. 

Drums are repetitive.  As I keep listening, the snare and hat groove never ever changes, the only changes are the occasional kick fill.  The snare and hat groove are dragging this down for me.  This isn't helping my feeling of overall repetition here.

Jury is out for me.

• 3 months later...

The concept for this is awesome, and the execution is pretty great too. I just am not really feeling how repetitive this is overall. This is a tough decision! With the source being pretty repetitive in itself, as well as only ~15 seconds long, there's only so much that can be done. I think in the end the creativity, fleshed out soundscape, and solo are winning me over, but I am seeing this being a tough vote for everyone. Good luck!

YES (borderline)

Mike has clearly gone to great lengths to expand on a short, but very memorable source tune and really personalize it. Could he have shaved a minute or so off the arrangement, or tweaked the drums to include a bit more variation? Sure. But the melodic treatment of Bolero and the tight guitar performance are definitely the highlights of the track - the solo at 3:11 provides a much-needed changeup that I quite enjoyed. Truthfully, neither of the aforementioned issues really have that much impact on my overall enjoyment here. 

I like what I'm hearing here!

YES

This is really cool! I love the direction, nice work on making such a badass take of such a "cute" source. Source is definitely recognizable throughout, but there's still plenty of interpretation. The guitar playing is excellent, and I like the solos. The machine-gun rhythm guitar parts synced with the bass drum are also quite satisfying.

I think the focus on the rhythm guitar was slightly too strong, which put the lead a bit too far back in the background for my tastes. I also think the drums writing could use a bit more love, and I think the snare especially lacked presence/impact. Those issues are not deal-breaking for me, but are definitely worth noting for future submissions.

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 0:52 AM, DarkeSword said:

Snare and cymbal are totally on autopilot. Wish it weren't the case. Everything else is great. Love the expansion of the source material, and the guitar performance is solid.

Eh. Really wish that percussion was less repetitive, but other stuff is too good to pass up.

My sentiments exactly.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/02/28) *YES - TAG - NEED 192kbps or VBR1* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Firewalker'
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04228 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Firewalker"
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic