OCR00605 - Punch-Out!! "Little Mac's Confession"

orkybash

Wow, this is absolutely spectacular.

I love it when not only the lyrics of the song tell a story, but the music does as well.

The beginning of the song is the regular "move-up-in-the-ranks" music, which moves into the "knock-down" music splashed with a bit of the "training-in-a-pink-sweatsuit" music, then moves into the "no-continues" music, which all fits perfectly with the lyrics.

Take away the fact that it's a ReMix, and it's still an incredible song on its own.

Score: 1,000,000 points

The beginning of the song is the regular "move-up-in-the-ranks" music, which moves into the "knock-down" music splashed with a bit of the "training-in-a-pink-sweatsuit" music, then moves into the "no-continues" music, which all fits perfectly with the lyrics.

And here I thought they only used the fight theme. I had been listening to this awesome remix for awhile now and had only thought that GO only used the the theme playing during the fight. And also after reading this quote and playing the song, all of the different tunes used while playing punch out are starting to come back to me.

Absolutely awesome. Good work, Game Over! I like the lyrics, though the second verse is the only one that really sticks into my head, thanks to the aforementioned wordplay. Not to mention the musicianship of the whole track. A very excellent piece of work.

Absolutely awesome. Good work, Game Over! I like the lyrics, though the second verse is the only one that really sticks into my head, thanks to the aforementioned wordplay.

''But David beating Goliath'' and ''What's my Star

Compared to Dynamite?/A quite pathetic fight'' Those are my favorite lyrics of the song.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I registered an account just to say how incredible this song is, and I am seriously considering getting Game Over's demo CD. I really want to hear the rest of their stuff ... if it is equal to this song, the rest of the stuff must be absolutely freaking incredible. These guys are in a league in their own, a league above all others.

• 2 months later...

I just downloaded this song after reading all the reviews, thinking it can't be as good as some of the Final Fantasy Remixes, and on top of that, I'm not a fan of rock.

But after hearing the song, I think my views on rock have changed drastically. This song is a perfect remix. Excellent singing and lyrics, even though, I do despise lyrics in music. Wow, I'm loving this. Easily in my top 5 OC Remix list.

PS: Love the guitar solo @ 2'05".

• 6 months later...

WOW this songs feels like be thrown to the floor by one of Mr. Dream's punches, and in there I can feel my defeat when the game over song played with an amazing guitar. This song is great and is quickly becoming one of my favorites even though I am usually opposed to voice in instrumental music, but this one is so so GOOD, I give it a 10!

• 2 months later...

great song with explosive energy and kick ass guitar solos abound. I like the intro a lot and the first solo after the first chorus. Great lyrics that stick with you for quite a while. However, you have to laugh at the mispronounciation of a few of the words to fit the meter. (barrage, Goliath, etc.). Heard some of Game Over's other stuff, and I can't wait to hear more.

However, you have to laugh at the mispronounciation of a few of the words to fit the meter. (barrage, Goliath, etc.).

Haha, yeah, that's actually quite funny. The reason why this happened was because, when I wrote the lyrics, I had the original melody in mind. Try singing it with the right pronuniciation for Goliath - it works fine! But then Christine, who came up with the vocal melodies, said: "I can make a much better melody!" and I said: "Go ahead!" But then of course, Goliath didn't fit in anymore... :)

Am I the only one who noticed the "KO" sound effect, followed by the "getting up" (and of course, Game Over music at the end) tune, and then a return to the fight, occurring three times in the song? Kudos to Game Over, that's a badass little notion that makes this song all the cooler. It really feels like you're playing the game and granted all three allowed knockouts. The little instrumental interlude after the 'Getting Up' tune at 2:21 feels like L'il Mac's getting back up for another round and lasting a little longer this time, only to go down again.

Awesome stuff.

• 2 months later...

Even in the face of overwhelming support for this song, I still have to stick my guns and voice my discontent with it.

If you looked up cheesy in the audio encyclopedia, you'd stumble across this song. I don't know, to me boxing should exude toughness, and these lyrics just don't reflect that. "Apprehensions becoming real" has no place in the squared circle. You don't have time to think of something that deep when your eye socket is being shattered from a left hook. These lyrics are way too deep and cheesy for this sort of thing. The gratuitous use of "Let's keep it clean, Punch Out!!" doesn't help much either.

I know quality can be an issue but this needs more backbone musically. It sounds way too flimsy. As far as 80's metal goes, Manowar would frown on this as "false metal."

• 3 weeks later...

absolutly amazing i did not know that anyone could turn a nintendo song into such a great rock piece i mean this song is beast other remixers should learn from them GAME OVER is a great band overall this song is one of the greatest songs ever. Mikeuppercut have you ever even played punch out i mean it fits the game and umm yea have you ever boxed before, cuz the lyrics fit it pretty well i mean when you are getting punched in the face alot your apprehensions do start to become real every thing goes almost into slo mo and you seem to have time to think but not react so yea umm box b4 you say this song is too cheesy for boxing

THIS SONG IS SO GREAT

• 4 weeks later...
Even in the face of overwhelming support for this song, I still have to stick my guns and voice my discontent with it.

If you looked up cheesy in the audio encyclopedia, you'd stumble across this song. I don't know, to me boxing should exude toughness, and these lyrics just don't reflect that. "Apprehensions becoming real" has no place in the squared circle. You don't have time to think of something that deep when your eye socket is being shattered from a left hook. These lyrics are way too deep and cheesy for this sort of thing. The gratuitous use of "Let's keep it clean, Punch Out!!" doesn't help much either.

I know quality can be an issue but this needs more backbone musically. It sounds way too flimsy. As far as 80's metal goes, Manowar would frown on this as "false metal."

Cheesy, Flimsy??!!?? I couldn't disagree with Mikeuppercut more. This song has become my favorite OCRemix song for the last year (at least!). Game Over is original (well, as original as you can be while remixing) and has put a lot of thought into the theme of their lyrics. I don't see a whole lot of remixers using original lyrics in their work, so I give Game Over a 10 out of 10 (again and again).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00605 - Punch-Out!! "Little Mac's Confession"