*NO* Battlefield 1942 'Battlefield Theme Mix (Metal)'

Emunator

There's nothing that really stands out glaringly on this one, but I'm not feeling the fact that it's nearly an exact cover of the original, just with metal instead of a symphony. There's no personalization given to the structure or the melodies. Even a solo that riffed on the original melody would have helped, and I was waiting for it as is typical for the YouTube metal scene, but even that never happened.

Production is also just so-so. Drums are probably overcompressed (and that's coming from someone who compresses the snot out of his drums), the horns seem to be fighting with the guitars for sonic space, and nothing's given any finesse at all. Orchestral sequencing is also stiff and could use a bit more help, although I realize it's hard to get horns right sometimes. Same stiffness critique goes for the drums--they're locked to the grid, and while that can work, a little humanization goes a long way.

I'm sure it works well on YouTube but I don't think it's quite up to the needs of OCR yet. More in-depth arrangement would be helpful, for sure!

NO (resub)

• 1 month later...

This is definitely overcompressed as Flex pointed out. The drums are very flat and low-energy despite some good fills and programming. The first half of it was very similar to the original as he pointed out, too. I liked the change in drums and guitar pattern after that, though the section went on long with the same patterns and maybe could've used another change-up. The mixing also sounds a bit off, in that the orchestra is taking up a lot of room that I would expect the rock elements to use. As a result, the song sounds somewhat unbalanced. I think it would work better to get all the rock elements sounding great first, and then carve out the orchestra so that you can just hear certain elements of it.

While this is a cool piece of music, it doesn't seem right for OCR yet. As an arrangement, I think we would need something slightly more personalized; production-wise, this is unbalanced and overcompressed. I think a resub that addressed those issues could be a pass, but it depends on whether you are willing to make the changes.

NO (resubmit)

Wow, yeah, as soon as lead came in at :43, and the orchestration joined at :52, the whole soundscape was very overcompressed and cluttered, so it was very difficult to distinguish the different part-writing. That's easily the thing that automatically holds this back on production grounds. Definitely hit the Workshop forums to get advice on how to achieve clearer textures and prevent frequency overlap of your instruments.

The electric guitar sounded very dry. Despite being dry as well, I did like the tone of the bowed strings though.

Nice chugs at 1:52, although paired with the machine gun drums, it felt like they went pretty long up to 2:23.

Arrangement-wise, aside from the middle section, this did present itself as a very straightforward rock cover, but the energy behind it was good. A lot of the backing part-writing was the same as the source, so I understand the criticism there when we're looking for more personalized and modified presentation, per our Submissions Standards.

The mixing/production's the biggest issue to work on, Tiago. If you can clean up the textures so that the various parts are distinct, that would be half the battle right there, then you could consider tweaking some things with the arrangement. That said, you have a spirited rock cover, it just needs a lot more polished presentation.

NO