Fruity Loops Music Competition 4: 2 Meow, 2 Mega Awesome [Results, pg. 6]

Jason Covenant

I honestly think that lack of enthusiasm is due largely to the OP posting so infrequently.

I could do the next one. I know that I will not be able to participate in the competition myself due to my lack of FL skillz, but I could at least be in charge of the thread. I am on frequently enough and definitely have enough time to do timely updates.

What say ye?

P.S. While we're at it, could I get a link to Prophecy's flp for KTHX2?

Sum votes:

HYE, I R IS VOTING FOR TEH FLMC 4 THINGY, LOL.

1) I R LIEK TEH BEIGE MAGE CUZ HE R IS AWESOMENESS.

Seriously though, catchy beats and pure virgin noise, and a remix of by far the coolest song from Prophecy's hypothetical game (of which the story was never written... :cry: ). What could be better?

2) Projekt Zero; clever use of that annoying drum loop thingy from FL; I liked all the scratchy stuff. It sounded really kewl.

3) Giggity: seemed to have quite a bit of coherence and movement despite OMFG REPETITIVE and mediocre mixing/mastering. Some of the sounds used were OMFG NEATO also.

Honorable mention goes to GLL because he pwns FL and made an incredible hard/epic trance song, OMFG GLL R0X0RZ I W4NT HIS BABY!!! OMFG LOLLERCOPTERS

All comments/votes/opinions are inherently not necessarily 100% correct being issued from myself blahblahblah cookies/pie.

first, the votes...

1 - GLL - Brokeback Kitty

hands down, no contest. GLL strikes again.

2 - Giggity - flmc4air

really neat! not really too "catchy" but a very nice sound.

3 - ProjectZero - SecondaryPsychosis

uhhh this didn't particularly appeal to me -that- much, but it was better than everything else, and it was decent, so...number 3 it is!

and the actual comments i wrote for each song...please post =)

Bundeslang - Soft Party

Oh noes! flnoob!

no seriously, this isn't bad for a first attempt. I can tell from your patterns that you at least tried to stay organized instead of slapping whatever wherever. this is a good thing.

Some of the few things to perhaps consider working on (as im sure you know there are a lot)--

-when placing patterns on your playlist, make sure you have "snap" set to Cell (usually) as it makes all of your patterns align properly--right now it looks as if your patterns are suffering from misalignment (look at how the gray squares aren't totally lined up in the grid)

-your harp sample is set to "use loop points" which doesn't make a lot of sense as a harp is supposed to be a one-shot sample--right now it's continually retriggering, which sounds weird.

-Experiment with using the 3xOsc for all your synth sounds (leads, basses, etc.) as it's a very versatile synth. just muck around with it and see what kind of cool sounds you can make.

-Look into experimenting with FX too (on the F9 mixer) as that really adds character to your mix.

**last but not least, look at the other contestant's .flp's and try to learn something...=)

Giggity - flmc4air2

-Ah right from the start I can tell this is gonna be pretty good. The entire song is just the right length too.

-Perhaps the intro could have been done a bit better though--maybe some FX or reverse crashes or fills instead of just plopping the hi-hat and clap on there.

-Yeah that arp is pretty sexy. I love how everyone using FL seems to use that same flanger preset to widen their synth sounds, lol. =p

-303 sound, ooh nice. like the automation on that.

-interesting mastering style--i dont actually know how what you did works so i'm not going to try and tell you if its good or bad.

-that "owwww" synth that comes in at around 1:06 sounds a bit...plain. maybe some tweaking would have benefited.

**overall very nice mix--maybe could use a little more forward progression or something as right now it's not very "memorable", but it's certainly a very "cool" sound.

GLL - Brokeback Kitty

-love the intro. Once it goes into the "chill" section at 1:32 i'm like yeahhhhhhhhhhhh that's the stuff...

-i didn't actually fancy the main arp synth too much, sorry! probably my only real peeve with this song.

-other than that...nice piano...awesome builds...mixed nicely...i dont know what else to say.

**this song is da bomb. nice work by GLL, as always. Reminds me a lot of Angels Above =p

ProjectZero - SecondaryPsychosis

-This one was just weird. Fits with the whole "psychosis" theme though, so i'm not complaining too much.

-Intro and outro maybe a tadd bland (although that is inherently in their nature anyhow so not too much of a problem), I'm like uhhh ok ok come on where's the stuff?

-nice use of Scratcher with that vocal sample.

-favorite part would have to be 2:33 where the orionstring patch comes in--also the small little counterplay with the slayer is cool.

The Beige Mage - AmazingAttackSquad

-AMAZING indeed--what other song can give you an =800= polyphony count in FL!?!? After looking at this and making sure the craziness was intended, i decided not to even bother trying to play in FL.

**uhhhh well it's great for the OMGWTF factor but other than that...hahaha...

=====

other than the weird delays and "wtf is going on with flmc4 anyways" thing, id say this was a nicely done contest. maybe more turnout next time would be better. heck i know i should have entered. but i didn't. eck.

1. Ghetto Lee Lewis - Brokeback Kitty

The production values are astounding, as always as is the composition.

2. Giga Zap Cannon (Gigs/Giggity) - air2

Nice smooth listening, plus it's pretty damn catchy.

3. ProjectZero - Sanity's Final Requiem/Secondary psychosis

This is the only one of the remainder that I could listen to without my ears hurting.

The scratching (or whatever you call it) was pretty awesome though.

Do I have to write anything else?

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, a whopping three votes. The math breakdown thingy mablobber looks like this:

GLL: 9 points (3 for voting)

Gigs: 4 points

Projekt Zero: 4 points

Beige Mage: 3 points

In conclusion,

GLL R TEH WINNAR!!111

I honestly think that lack of enthusiasm is due largely to the OP posting so infrequently.

I'd agree. My life=too crazy to be able to keep up with these things.

I could do the next one.

Talk to GLL, since he won, he gets to decide how flmc5 is run.

P.S. While we're at it, could I get a link to Prophecy's flp for KTHX2?

http://www.prophetikmusic.com/FLMC/KTHX2.zip

As for now, I believe 100% in Prophecy, he will get the results soon.

Thanks for the faith.

And congrats mr. GLL! If I'm still living in this country/have time when flmc5 comes around, I may give it a whirl.

I haven't checked this thread in like 2 or 3 weeks, been so busy with work and stuff.

Honestly I didn't expect #1 on every vote. I'm really flattered though. :P I expected a close competition from Projekt Zero. I really liked his mix! :D

I'll try and organize the next compo as soon as I can. Expect a ridiculously awesome compo for FLMC 5!

I haven't checked this thread in like 2 or 3 weeks, been so busy with work and stuff.

Honestly I didn't expect #1 on every vote. I'm really flattered though. :P I expected a close competition from Projekt Zero. I really liked his mix! :D

I'll try and organize the next compo as soon as I can. Expect a ridiculously awesome compo for FLMC 5!

sweeeeet.

(this time imma actually gonna try seriously...well, i hope.)

Sorry about the huge delay (no, the next compo isn't started yet). I know this compo hasn't been known so far for running on time. I have final exams this week and next so things are really hectic (keeping a full time job, full time girlfriend on top of that).

I still haven't forgotten though. I do plan on hosting this next compo before the year is over. :P

• 2 weeks later...

quoted from GLL's PM:

GLL:

"yeah sorry, I'm with family for the holidays and stuff. I'm also trying to work on a vocal competition (also on OC Remix forums).

I'm having a special guest make midi's for this compo and have pretty much everything planned; I'm pretty much waiting on him to finish those and I'll host this compo.

I definitely want to get compo started before Christmas, so maybe Saturday I can get things going."

so there you go...if he's too busy to get something up by Saturday and someone else wants to run with it, i dont think he'd mind too terribly, but at this point it looks like he's already got it all figured out for the most part, so maybe just cross our fingers....and hurry up and wait?

alright, so i pm'ed GLL a while ago and no response, so it looks like unfortunately we can't sit around and wait for him.

whoever wants to go ahead and run the next one, just start a new thread and we'll all flock to that one (what's left of us anyways)...

I could do it, but I don't know which samples are allowed (I could use the same rules as this one) and what's the source tune.

Discuss, if someone else wants to do it it's okay.

there doesn't even have to be a source tune if you don't want. whoever wants to organize it just make a thread with either source tune(s) to mix or an "idea" like the "shattered dreams" compo--if you want you can post a samplepack like Prophecy did to spice things up but that's not really entirely necessary either.