OCR00595 - F-Zero "Blue Vacation"

orkybash

• 2 weeks later...

After all the edgy, guitar-crunchin' remixes of F-Zero and its kin out there (even from Nintendo itself), LousySpy manages a tremendous mindf*ck. Riiiiiiiight, I can really imagine Capt. Falcon cruising at X00 kmph with the sun roof down and Samurai Goroh sippin' pina coladas.... :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How on God's green earth did LousySpy get "up-tempo Reggae" out of F-Zero's Big Blue track. What thought processes were at work here? What, indeed, is the guy smoking?

Cause it's BRILLIANT. It works so well it's amazing. The steel drum work at :21-:41 is amazing. I'm not a fan of the particular synth horn at :41, but the flute in that section works well enough.

The steel drum and flute work at 1:25-2:15 shakes it up a bit and really adds character as they riff on the Big Blue theme. I can imagine this one playing while I'm enjoying the beach at Big Blue after the big race. In my Winamp box for sure. Very relaxing and well done.

7/10

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

All I can say is.....WOW!

This is an amazing remix! The variations on the them are awesome, and it has a spectacular percussion rhythm to boot!

I must admit, the first time I heard this, I thought "Chocobo" from the ever-popular Final Fantasy series, but I was quickly made a fool of!

Awesome remix, 5 stars in my book!

The relaxing guitars of the intro reminded me of Summers from Earthbound for some unknown reason. Now that certainly isn't a bad thing, no sir. In fact it lends it's way to becoming a personal favorite of mine and Blue Vacation is a favorite. The steel drums fit perfectly and you can instantly reconize that it's Big Blue music for those of you familiar with F-Zero. To take a hard rocking song like that and redo into something that would be at home while vacationing on San Diego's beaches is amazing. Simply brilliant work LousySpy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess I didn't expect a Hawaii Mix either... But DAMN YOU GOTTA LISTEN TO THIS STUFF!! Relaxes so well... Its awesome...

I found it on the roulette, and just listened to it. I came back here when the song was finished just to write a gleaming review!

Rating: This IS going on a CD

• 1 month later...

Over all, i really like this mix. It makes me wanna but in one of those Corona commercials, on the beach with a beach and hot women all around... with some weird guys in the back playing guitar and bongos. This isn't really something anyone would think would come from a fast-pace game like F-Zero... but you gotta admit, wouldn't be just jamming to be cruising that f'ing fast, with this blaring in your system as you pass your adversaries.

Overall, i think this is a jamming mix, and an excellent song to listen to while not in the normal state of mind...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to say I absolutely love the style. If I hadn't played F-Zero since the 4th grade, oh, 13 years ago, I might guess that the tune was originally written this way. Right on target with the percussion and guitar, creates a great stylistically accurate feel. Here's something that's totally backwards: usually electronic steel drum sounds sound completely fake, while wind instruments are usually almost tolerable. However, in this mix, the steel pan sounds almost authentic, while the trumpet and flute have a very harsh General MIDI edge. I think if this mix were revamped with professional quality sounds for the trumpet and flute, it would be good enough that I might actually consider putting it on a CD and listening to it on the way to work.

A bit of trivia: Steel drums (Steel pan) are not from Jamaica. They originate on the island of Trinidad and Tobago, and are the national instrument of that country.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

One of the first remixes I've ever downloaded from OCR (more than 4 years ago...), and I always liked it. As well as my other favorites, this has been burnt on several CDs and my friends like this as well.

Shows really well how an OC ReMix should be. The reinterpretation here is awesome, I always appreciate when a ReMixEr is creative enough to pick a fast hard rock song and turn it in something unexpected... hawaiian music??? Then the second section of this song is completely rearranged, raising my love for this song even more. Good sound quality + change of genre + wise use of OST + interesting rearrangement = MASTERPIECE

DOWNLOAD NOW PLZ

• 11 months later...

A very enjoyable remix in the classic sense of the term. Overall, the sound is ok, even if one might find it an inch to midi-ish for closer listening: the instruments could use just a hint less precision to appear more natural (since this is a lifely mix by intent). But really, this is no problem. The song is fun to listen to, relaxing, adherent to norms well and rightfully established, and as a result fine background music for better or for worse.

• 5 months later...

An awesome and unexpected style-shift here, and it works very well. Improve some of the samples and it'd be a pretty definitive and classic OC remix.

As is, though the lead brass instrument is pretty weak, and it drags down.

Percussion is incredible though, the rhythms are perfect and they are nicely layered.

The structure is very similar to the original, but the complete style overhaul actually makes the similarities welcome. The second iteration of the melody has the lead instruments vary up the melody a bit, with the steel drums especially adding some nice spice (maybe some jerk seasoning? ;-) )

He may be a LousySpy, but he's an excellent arranger.

• 4 months later...
I must admit, the first time I heard this, I thought "Chocobo" from the ever-popular Final Fantasy series, but I was quickly made a fool of!

Lions and tigers and... chocobos? Oh, my!

I definitely hear Ukulele de Chocobo (FF9) in this mix. Whether this is due to an intentional combination of two vastly dissimilar tracks or simply a coincidence of cosmic proportions, I agree that this remix is very clever... and very fun! Steelpans make me happy.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

LousySpy, why did you change your name? You might have been a bad spy but you were a good remixer! And why aren't you submitting mixes anymore?

This was on my first OCR mix cd back when I heard it in 2002. Those simple samples make me so happy each time I hear them. This is really what OCR and videogame music is all about. You're just some person sitting at your computer who doesn't have all the great tools at your disposal, you're just working with what you got. You can't try to ascend to the heavens and solve the mysteries of the universe with your sounds, but you want to inject as much feeling as you can with the limited tools that you have available, and maybe that's better in the end.

There's not the extra super mastered super reverby dressing that would be on a mix like this these days, it's just a simple little concept that he takes and expands upon and puts some emotion into his simple little steel drum and flue and trumpet samples. The mix goes where it feels like it should go and then finishes when it feels like it should finish.

A good-tasting, good-for-you mix.

This was one of the first ReMixes I heard on the site, and also the first one that made me think "weh! this is effing SWEET!" Tansunn (the artist formerly known as LousySpy) takes the Big Blue theme in such an unexpected direction, but pulls it off with bona fide pro-ness. Despite the arguably sub-par samples, it still comes across as really chill-sounding and awesomely vacation-esque. sweeeeeet.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

While this feels dated, its still a really cool piece. This is, so far, the only Caribbean-esque mix that I've found so far on this site. And it really is amazing how well the Big Blue theme lends itself to a island instrumentation.

It's got a good, airy, carefree grove to it like it rightfully should. This is definitely worth listening to; it's just pure fun.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00595 - F-Zero "Blue Vacation"