OCR01500 - Tales of Phantasia "The Koan of Drums"

djpretzel

I still love this mix. djp's mixes, especially in my opinion, these last few (Twoson, "Town Life" and this one) are some of the most emotive on the site. It's something I forget about too much when I'm listening to...most of the stuff I listen to. Haha, just looking over the list of his mixes I'm remembering all this brilliant stuff I freaking forgot about, but I think this is still my favorite djp mix.

I really have to agree with the comment about how well the mix fits the mood of the game. For some reason most of my favorite games make me feel pretty melancholy (except Landstalker lol) and ToP is no exception.

Haha, love the title on this too.

Nice song, but I think the taikos are way too quiet/thin, except for the solo beginning at 2:45. Taikos are powerful instruments that are loud; they make your heart beat to their rhythm (at least when you listen to them live), but in this mix, they somehow drown in the other instruments.

Also, the techno-esque bass drum just didn't really fit in there, but that's my very personal opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

This song is really emotive and energetic! Oddly enough, it evokes much of the feeling of Donkey Kong Country. Laying something slow and solemn over a fast'n'furious electronic bass line does that, I suppose. Particularly the first 40 seconds, and the stretch from around 2'00-2'40.

I don't think the electronic "bow-nene-bow" that starts at 0'50 fits though.

EDIT: Weeks later I came back to say that this song has one of the best intro sequences evar. Figured I should post as much after the umpteenth time rewinding just to hear that first minute again.

• 1 month later...

Initially I was kinda put off by it. The time between the 'big moments' was setting me on edge with the breaks caused by the high hat.

Turns out with some tweaking of slider settings (turning the 12 and 14khz slider way down, and bumping the 60-600 up a bit) its one HELL of a track. It was causing my poor (abused) one-way headphones to dump everything so all I heard was the 'tic tic tic' of the hat. Once I burnt it to disk and put it in a good system (3 way /w a 12" sub) it was far and away better and didnt need any tweaking.

Personally Id have liked the Taikos to have been 'fuller' but hey, cant have everything at once. Plus I cant imagine they record well, with all the over/under tones they generate.

• 2 years later...

Wow, this is on SoS, and this was released three years ago.

Wow.

Still, it's interesting. I can't really decide if I like it or not, though.

It's trying its best to sort of be techno-Asiatic, but I don't think it quite meets those specifications. :?

I'd be better without the drumming "tictictic" that's so pervasive.

I'd ultimately say that it's pretty decent but not quite one of my favorites.

• 1 month later...

Pretz (can I call you Pretz?), I don't know how you do it. Everything you do is sheer gold. And no, that's not just empty flattery. I'm always, always, ALWAYS completely blown away by your mixes on this site, no matter how old or simple or crazy they may be, and this is by far no exception. I can definitely hear the Kajiura influences in this one, and I am digging it. You did an amazing job of blending a repertoire of instruments, and I too was strongly tempted to start air taiko-ing, if it weren't for the fact that my roommate is currently present and it would give her even more of a reason to doubt my sanity. Beautiful, breathtaking, mind-blowing work here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love the intro for this one: an inclining build that establishes the tribal and dance influences, and also works to a very adequate support for the main weight of the mix. I really can't envisage a better way of executing it.

Some of the samples are very classic djpretzel, which is both a joy and a hindrance, but in all, I think this one is a side-step in style from the signature pretzel sound. Maybe just because there is a percussion solo where there would normally be one of those meandering lead instrument solos. It's a breath of pretzel scented air regardless, if not structurally but the way it has been approached. The end result is some quite uplifting jungle dance with a very memorable chorus. Awesome stuff.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just absolutely adore this song. Whenever I ride my bike and listen to it, the gallop of the beat makes me feel like I'm riding a horse.

Other than that, the tonality, the sharpness of the strings, and the foggy winds just make this a great remix in general. I'm already a huge fan of DJB, most particularly through Pachelbel's Ganon (both songs happen to be the two most played songs ever on my itunes). Keep up the fantastic work!

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01500 - Tales of Phantasia "The Koan of Drums"