OCR03501 - *YES* Final Fantasy "Find Your Way"

djpretzel

So alt rock! An interesting vocal transformation into something radio-friendly in a specifically 90's sorta way - see what you think!

- djp

---

ReMixer Name: Darangen

email: 
userid: 8887

Game: Final Fantasy
Song name: Find Your Way
songs arranged: Town Theme

Comments: 

After MAGfest, I started listening to a lot of 90's music again, thanks to Vinnie's 90's flashback guitar playing - so I blame him for this remix.  So one day I was messing around on the guitar since I couldn't sleep and played a C chord followed by E7 and it brought me back to the town theme.  And thus it began.

Originally this was going to be completely instrumental, but I purchased iZotopes Nectar 2 plugin (which I HIGHLY recommend anyone mixing vocals picks up) and had to try it out, so I thought "what better way to try this out other than writing and recording some lyrics". With that said, it's a lyrical remix, and while I've done lyrical mixes before, my vocals were always my obvious weak point; so I spent more time on them than any other element.  While they're still not perfect, I like to think I've come a long way since "Falling Back".  The chorus is original and the verses, bridge and solo carry the source.  The bridge is very liberal with the source while the verses and solo are straight forward, but if you listen to the bridge the right way you'll hear the part of the source I got it from.

For the inspiration for the lyrics, I tried to take it from a villagers perspective.  A few Warriors of Light stroll into town after a weary day on the battlefield, only to know that the next day will be more grueling than the last.  As someone who played Final Fantasy when it was first released way back in the late 80's, I remember needing to return to the towns quite often to heal up, replenish magic charges and restock on potions. So I wrote from the standpoint of a villager telling them to stick through the tough times ahead and come back when they're weary.

The lyrics are as follows:

----------------

verse 1

just ahead beyond the horizon
look above, the azure blue
who would think that this world was at its end
and its fate belongs to you

verse 2

pressing on, there are those who'd discourage you
trials, there's more than just a few
each new day has a challenge of its own
but the light will see you through

chorus  

go left, go right
start another fight, come back
and stay another night
you'll find your way
right now, some how
take another chance again
and turn it right around
we're here to stay
so if ever you're in trouble
come back to fight another day

verse 3

with the means to overcome what's in front of you
and even what you cannot see
you'd do well to remember all of those
who have saved your memories

chorus  

go left, go right
and stay another night
you'll find your way
right now, some how
and turn it right around
we're here to stay

chorus  

go left, go right
and stay another night
you'll find your way
right now, some how
and turn it right around
we're here to stay

verse 4

just ahead beyond the horizon
look above, the azure blue
who would think that this world was at its end
and its fate belongs to you
my friend

----------------

As always, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it!
cleardot.gif

• 3 months later...

I loved it.  LOVED IT.  This definitely takes me back to the time where mtv still was about music videos.  The mix is balanced and all the elements are clear, so no qualms there.  I thought the vocals were slightly exposed and dry, they could've been mixed so they would sit on the mix better.  The vocals weren't always on point and some parts could've used more emotion behind them but it's nothing that takes away from the overall quality.

The alt rock arrangement is on point.  Specially liked the bridge at 2:32, reminds me of RHCP for some reason.  I'm impressed on how well this theme lent itself to the genre, the chorus melody and solos feel natural and this could easily be something meant for radio.  Overall, this is a great arrangement full of personality and put together in a seamless manner that would make people not even notice it's remixing a videogame.

Also, it's nice to see Darangen submitting more stuff!

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/05/15 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 'Find Your Way'
  • 3 weeks later...

Right from the intro, I was loving this. I guess if I inspired it, that's no surprise! Melodic rock is a perfect genre for this song, and the partwriting sounds so natural, it's hard to believe most of it is not in the original. Chorus took it up to another level (though I didn't immediately realize the connection to the source - that chiming guitar), and I melted when I heard that sweet chorused guitar part added to the second verse. Despite not being a strong singer, Mike's vocals were a good fit both in the low-register verses and the higher-register chorus - his voice carried an honesty that really made the lyrics resonate. I really wished that the chorus had a harmony part! I found myself mentally adding it. In fact, if Mike wants to perform this at MAGfest, I'll be his wingman anytime.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/05/15) *YES - TAG - NEED 192kbps/VBR1 or WAV* Final Fantasy 'Find Your Way'
  • Palpable locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic