Lufia 2 - Iris

Hipnotyk

https://soundcloud.com/matt-s-harrison/iris-lufia-2

How can a piece so melodically simplistic be so moving?  Seriously, if you took out the harp and put it in a familiar key for elementary wind instrument players in middle school, they could play this no problem.  None of that changes the fact that this is an extremely powerful piece of music, though.

I added some extra elements that the original doesn't have to give it some depth, like tubular bells and soft gong hits as well as some smooth rises (literally, pulled them all from the "Smooth" presets of Rise & HIt).  The second go-around is where I change things up a bit with some pizzicato violin, additional vocal harmony and end it with some suspensions.  

It's not the usual upbeat track I tend to favor but this was still a lot of fun to make.  Might have to try out some more ballads in the future.

why is it so moving?  because it's the idea that moves us, not its complexity.  in fact, the more simple the idea, the easier it is for the average guy to make it really good.  the more notes you write, the greater chance the note will be bad or "average"

the production sounds pretty good.  everything is balanced and sounds pretty good.

It feels a little bit dry to me, like perhaps a little extra reverb would have made it sound more realistic.  It also sounds clear, though, which I like.

As usual, the orchestra samples don't sound convincingly realistic, but they do sound GOOD, so you have that going for you.  i wonder if there is a way for you to add more sample changes, phrasing type stuff to it.  Samples are difficult.

I would like the second part of the arrangement to be more dramatic.  I would love some big bass drums and cymbal/timpani buildups.  The second part sounds too much like the first to me.  Especially if you are trying to get it on OC Remix--you'll have to be more unique and less cover-ey with the arrangement.

i wonder if the harp needs to be so in your face. especially with it being so plucky.  and probably the least effective of your samples.  i would turn it down a db or two maybe. at least in the solo parts it seems too loud.  Also I wonder if there is more you can do with velocity changes to make it sound more realistic.  i hear ACCENTS, but i don't hear human-sounding performance with getting quieter and louder.  Especially in the harp part, which sticks out, it feels too MIDI.  Try not to copy-paste your performance for that, and vary the midi up.  Most sequencers have a Humanizer if you don't feel like spending too much time on it.

consider dropping some money on East West symphonic orchestra.  it was like, what 400 bucks or something and I've been pretty happy with it, timbre-wise, although still not skilled enough at it to get something really realistic.  Here's an example of one of my songs that used it...for the symphonic elements

https://soundcloud.com/christophercollins-3/premonitions

Cool track and nice taste in song.  you got a follow out of me for it :)

Thanks for the advice and the follow, and I believe I followed you back!  I like what you've done with some of those heavy FF7 tracks.

I probably uploaded this one in a hurry and I definitely hear some of the stuff you're talking about, especially the harp.  Occasionally I get the urge to upload stuff too soon but the upside is I can always go back and make some adjustments.  Ever since I stepped up the rate in which I make stuff, I've been learning more and more with every project..  It's crazy to hear the difference from week to week.

I really want to pull the trigger on the Berlin Winds more than anything else right now, but I did just spend a few hundred on some Waves plugins (waited for Black Friday and stacked it with coupons on AudioDeluxe for the biggest discount) which have already been a huge difference maker.  People have told me the Berlin Winds never go on any sort of discounts so I'll probably get them once my funds are fully disposable again.

And thanks again for listening and offering input.  I'm looking to make small improvements every day and this really helps.

• 1 month later...
On 2015-12-07 at 11:57 PM, Michael_Lochlann said:

As usual, the orchestra samples don't sound convincingly realistic, but they do sound GOOD, so you have that going for you.  i wonder if there is a way for you to add more sample changes, phrasing type stuff to it.  Samples are difficult.

I would like the second part of the arrangement to be more dramatic.  I would love some big bass drums and cymbal/timpani buildups.  The second part sounds too much like the first to me.  Especially if you are trying to get it on OC Remix--you'll have to be more unique and less cover-ey with the arrangement.

i wonder if the harp needs to be so in your face. especially with it being so plucky.  and probably the least effective of your samples.  i would turn it down a db or two maybe. at least in the solo parts it seems too loud.  Also I wonder if there is more you can do with velocity changes to make it sound more realistic.  i hear ACCENTS, but i don't hear human-sounding performance with getting quieter and louder.  Especially in the harp part, which sticks out, it feels too MIDI.  Try not to copy-paste your performance for that, and vary the midi up.  Most sequencers have a Humanizer if you don't feel like spending too much time on it.

Exactly this. Very pretty, but I can already hear OCR judges commenting on the mechanicalness of the harp part. I also feel the second part could use some oomph.

I like what I'm imagining when I hear the tolling bell and the "aahs", but my ears want a more powerful choir and perhaps the slow, solemn bell that does not simply "dings" once or twice, but alternates with "dongs" as a way to build up tension. Just an idea.