OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

Like I said, it shouldn't be much work. The line of code that says "[username]'s avatar" needs to be changed to "[avatar name]". I don't know how the site works but it shouldn't be a lot more complicated than that. The PHP script generates this page, and a piece of html code that looks like this:

alt="Dafydd's Avatar"

So, I I don't think this is a redesign issue per se, but I don't think it happened BEFORE the redesign and switchover so..yeah.

Seems every time a new remix is released, I can never download from Alpus for the first few hours. Dreamhost, Supertux, and..the other one..whatever...they all work fine. Aplus never seems to work for the first while. 404'd.

Just FYI, in case you didn't already know.

Larry,

Help people understand how to reply to threads properly. Threaded/Hybrid mode good. A lot of people are replying to random posts in the middle of gigantic threads which make things really hard to follow, especially when they don't quote things. Not quoting things would be fine, if they reply to the right post though. IMO Linear mode and Hybrid/Threaded Mode cannot coexist properly. TIME TO FORCE ONE OR THE OTHER

This isn't really an issue, just a small preference in usability...when you search for a mix, it'd be more convenient for the ReMixes to appear in the leftmost field of the results, while the game remixed might be pushed to the right of it. It's kind of a consistency thing for me...since the mixes are always on the left when browsing the list, it's instinctive for me to click on the leftmost links, which unfortunately when using the search function instead brings me to the game. I understand if this isn't really on the list of high priorities, but it seems like something fairly easy to do if you decide to do it.

Considered it; I agree on one level but disagree on another. It's consistent for the leftmost column to be the "main" entity being listed, yes, but we're also consistently presenting ReMixes with the game first, because this most closely represents their official, complete title and also echoes ID3 tags, etc. Ultimately I feel consistency with the game-first-title-second convention outweighs the leftmost-column-is-primary-data-item-column issue, and prefer it this way. Just letting you know I considered it originally, and reconsidered it upon your feedback.

Hovering over the avatar and getting the avatar name sounds good to me, will do it when I get the time.

Aplus mirror is a case of my credit card expiring and their control panel being... less than intuitive. Should be addressed sometime this week.

Obviously, we haven't posted in over a week, so that's first priority, but I want to start checking off some of these dev items before they become unmanageable.

So, I I don't think this is a redesign issue per se, but I don't think it happened BEFORE the redesign and switchover so..yeah.

Seems every time a new remix is released, I can never download from Alpus for the first few hours. Dreamhost, Supertux, and..the other one..whatever...they all work fine. Aplus never seems to work for the first while. 404'd.

Just FYI, in case you didn't already know.

In case it got lost on the last page.

I'm only really quoting it, though, because such is also the case right now.

Well, I'm not sure if the probem is on your end (which I'm doubting) but I've been using the Aplus for downloads and the only two that I can't download are:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01068

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00158

I don't know why I'm one of the few who actually have... partial access with this mirror, but it's pretty wierd.

We've had general Aplus iffyness on account of djp's credit card changing since he registered with them. I believe he said earlier that they tried to bill the old one when renewal time came, and (of course) it didn't take, so the mirror went down. He can elaborate and/or go over the extent of what's working with that mirror.

The OCRemix site has for quite a while now used DHTML to replace content on the remix pages when you click on a tab. This is all well and good but the href="#" for these links makes your browser (or at least Firefox) go back to the top of the page. I find this quite annoying as I often scroll down and then have to scroll down again after I click a tab. I asked for this to be fixed when it was first introduced but heard nothing.

Today I wrote up a simple Greasemonkey script to replace those naughty hrefs with javascript:void(0) to stop the jumping back to the top of the page. The status bar text is a bit uglier, sure, but at least it no longer jumps to the top on a click:

// ==UserScript==
// @name OCRemix # removal
// @namespace [url]http://www.reversefold.com/[/url]
// @description Remove OCRemix's # links for tabs
// @include [url]http://www.ocremix.org/remix/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

var allLinks, thisLink;
allLinks = document.evaluate('//a[@href="#"]',
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);
for (var i = 0; i < allLinks.snapshotLength; ++i) {
thisLink = allLinks.snapshotItem(i);
for (var j = 0; j < thisLink.attributes.length; ++j) {
if (thisLink.attributes[j].nodeName == "onclick"
&& thisLink.attributes[j].value.substr(0, 13) == "highlightTab(") {
thisLink.href = "javascript:void(0)";
continue;
}
}
}

Larry,

Help people understand how to reply to threads properly. Threaded/Hybrid mode good. A lot of people are replying to random posts in the middle of gigantic threads which make things really hard to follow, especially when they don't quote things. Not quoting things would be fine, if they reply to the right post though. IMO Linear mode and Hybrid/Threaded Mode cannot coexist properly. TIME TO FORCE ONE OR THE OTHER

Hm, I don't see why people wouldn't quote a post in the middle of the thread...if they just randomly reply to someone, it confuses the people in linear mode too.

But if we're going to go with one or the other, I'm for getting rid of the silly threaded modes. I'll never understand what compels people to make their lives harder with extra scrolling and clicking on every post they wanna read. And some posts don't even show up in threaded mode.

Okay so this prolly isnt an issure for many people, but i asked in #ocremix earlier and uhmm yeah...

In the user control panel when editing profile, the category "Remixing Tools Used" or whatever.

I was wondering if there is, or can be, a way for users to not have to select anything, or just have an option to not show it publicly in our profiles.

I understand why it is there and all, but i think we should be allowed to not share the information if we choose.

aaaand, that is all

bye

So, I am posting from my Palm TX atm...and the formatting of OCR looks really ugly on a mobile device - is there any improvements in the works?

Well, which bits? I can control the layout of the main areas of the site, but AFAIK vbulletin doesn't have a "mobile" skin out-of-the-box... I really would like to get the site working on mobile devices... perhaps I could do mobile.ocremix.org as a subsite or something. There's also a way of specifying separate CSS for handheld devices. But, testing for the variety of devices out there can take ages.

Anyone have some *concrete* ideas or answers or suggestions for better mobile access to OCR?

Well, at least for the main area of the site, the newest songs are inaccessible to a mobile user, as well as most previous songs (except for the songs that were just knocked off the front few, as well as those that appear in the Russian ReMix roulette). In addition, if one was able to reach a ReMix page of his/her choosing, it is impossible to actually be able to download a song.

Right now, this is out of curiosity since I have other means to get the music I want onto my Palm, although I think in the future (maybe next 10 years or however long it may take for mobile devices to gain popularity and usability?) sometime it may be nice to implement a mobile web surfer friendly page.

I minor thing, I'm not sure if it's been reported yet, but in the forums when I make a top-of-page post it never registers the thread as read.

For example, I currently hold the last top-of-page post in the Mega Manniversary thread, and have obviously clicked on and read the thread, yet it's not shown to have been read.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic