OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

And now it's "what did djp change" time again!

Did you read my post regarding the upgrade? I don't understand whether your comment was meant sarcastically, but I explicitly stated that I didn't intentionally change anything. There may be visual discrepancies due to a change between sablotron and libxslt as the underlying transformation engine, but they are not of my design...

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a design problem, but whatever.

Liontamer recently closed a whole bunch of threads in the WIP section. While I understand why he does this and don't really have a problem with it, I think that he shouldn't lock 6 or 7 at a time, especially if they're as old as, for example, this one anyway. The reason is that every lock bumps the thread and thus takes away space which could be used to show more recent WIPs on the first page of the WIP subforum. Thanks to the massive amount of stickies, there isn't that much space anyway, so bumping 6 or 7 old threads at once doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

Not exactly a design problem, but whatever.

Liontamer recently closed a whole bunch of threads in the WIP section. While I understand why he does this and don't really have a problem with it, I think that he shouldn't lock 6 or 7 at a time, especially if they're as old as, for example, this one anyway. The reason is that every lock bumps the thread and thus takes away space which could be used to show more recent WIPs on the first page of the WIP subforum. Thanks to the massive amount of stickies, there isn't that much space anyway, so bumping 6 or 7 old threads at once doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

It's a one time thing to inform people of posted submissions that have used the WIP boards. Not sure if you weren't clear on it, but locking a thread can't bump it, only posting can. As more people post, the locked threads will naturally fall off of page 1 of WIPs.

[02:37am] Legion303: http://www.ocremix.org/o/composers returns 404

[02:37am] Legion303: and all download links

[02:37am] Legion303: etc

Edit: Problem solved? Looks like Legion just had his own issue there.

NOT solved.

Same 404 problem for me.

I don't believe we ever had our URLs in that style to begin with. Also, all of our game database URLs have a / at the end anyway.

It's a one time thing to inform people of posted submissions that have used the WIP boards. Not sure if you weren't clear on it, but locking a thread can't bump it, only posting can. As more people post, the locked threads will naturally fall off of page 1 of WIPs.

Yeah, I know that it's not locking, but posting in a thread which bumps it. However, this is exactly what you do, since you always post the link to the review thread.

As I said, locking WIP threads is okay with me, but I just wanted to say that it shouldn't be done with 5 or 6 threads at the same time. The WIPs need as much exposure as they can get, and kicking them of the first page doesn't really help that.

Just sayin' :<

1) The Site Project Guidelines link in Darkesword's quick note about ReMix Projects thread still links to the old phpBB thread.

2) Some games are erroneously listed under the publisher id. Fixes:

Tomb Raider --> Eidos

Fear Effect --> Eidos

And these were developed, but not published, by id:

Commander Keen 4 --> Apogee

Commander Keen 5 --> Apogee

Wolfenstein 3D --> Apogee

Doom II --> GT Interactive

Here's a small suggestion. How about specifying an input background color to go with that forced black color? It's very hard to read inputs and and buttons on the forum if your computer has a dark background by default.

Added to http://www.ocremix.org/includes/css/ocr4_main.css

Can you refresh/clear cache and verify that it address your issue?

UPDATE: I forgot that applying background to input makes buttons white too... afraid not too many people are gonna like that, although it doesn't bother me... we'll see, might need another solution...

Added to http://www.ocremix.org/includes/css/ocr4_main.css

Can you refresh/clear cache and verify that it address your issue?

UPDATE: I forgot that applying background to input makes buttons white too... afraid not too many people are gonna like that, although it doesn't bother me... we'll see, might need another solution...

Much better. Thanks. :)

However, if you don't like the white background on the inputs, remove the text coloring and the background color and let the OS style the input elements instead. :P

When I try to view this thread here, I get this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7747 bytes) in /home/ocremix/public_html/forums/showthread.php on line 1231

This is another good argument against having one gigantic thread for any broad topic [PS3/Wii/Xbox/Videos/etc]. They eventually get so large that vB can't even load them. I would suggest that it's time for a new thread, Larry.

When I try to view this thread here, I get this error:

This is another good argument against having one gigantic thread for any broad topic [PS3/Wii/Xbox/Videos/etc]. They eventually get so large that vB can't even load them. I would suggest that it's time for a new thread, Larry.

Technically, it's an argument against allowing threaded mode, as that's the only reason you're seeing that error, I believe...

I mentioned this to Zircon already, but seeing as how it hasn't been fixed yet...

In the Pokémon Remix Project (we'll have a proper title soon) thread in Site Projects, I can not post a new message.

I can access the board and the thread. I can edit my previous posts in the thread. I can make new posts in other threads on Site Projects. But not in my own thread.

When I try to make a new post, I get his message:

The Damned, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If there was some sort of account issue, then I shouldn't be able to post in other parts, or at all. If it was an access issue, the same would be true.

It's sort of bad when the person running the project can't post in it, don't you think?

Thanks in advance.

Hey djp,

I just wanted to know what's the status on the OCR stickers and those mugs that you mentioned a while ago?

We wanna do stickers and we REALLY want to do professional dvd-roms... not sure about mugs... problem right now is $$$ - the recent shirt run cleaned us out, we haven't had donations in a long while, etc. It's still on my list, but it'll have to wait until we build back up our funds.

If you have any obscenely rich friends/family/neighbors/random strangers in your vicinity, now's the time to convince them to donate their life savings to a good cause :)

I mentioned this to Zircon already, but seeing as how it hasn't been fixed yet...

In the Pokémon Remix Project (we'll have a proper title soon) thread in Site Projects, I can not post a new message.

I can access the board and the thread. I can edit my previous posts in the thread. I can make new posts in other threads on Site Projects. But not in my own thread.

When I try to make a new post, I get his message:

The Damned, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If there was some sort of account issue, then I shouldn't be able to post in other parts, or at all. If it was an access issue, the same would be true.

It's sort of bad when the person running the project can't post in it, don't you think?

Thanks in advance.

I know it's only been four days, but has anyone looked into this issue? It's pretty inconvenient when I need to update stuff. Just changing the first page doesn't count as a new post, so the thread just looks like nothing has happened.

On a similar note, is the ability to edit thread titles just not vB supported? It was handy back in the day to update your WIP thread title with a progress notice or just to alter your thread title when necessary.

I'm sure this has been brought up numerous times already, I'm just curious if this is a code limitation or a moderation choice.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic