OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

also, the judges decision forum will have these links and identify under the "reviews" tab, which is still kinda accurate, though a preferable solution may present itself.

If you've got no idea what I just said, that's cool, but if you do, let me know what you think...

Would it be difficult/impractical/dumb to give decisions their own tab?

I'm also interested in extra content for remixes. I'd also love to see a separate "Artist's Notes" section where the artist themselves can provide some insight on their piece (we already see this to a certain degree in Dave's writeups, but perhaps artists could provide something more technical that wouldn't necessarily fit into the context of a write-up).

I'm also interested in extra content for remixes. I'd also love to see a separate "Artist's Notes" section where the artist themselves can provide some insight on their piece (we already see this to a certain degree in Dave's writeups, but perhaps artists could provide something more technical that wouldn't necessarily fit into the context of a write-up).

Nice, but... artists might want to maintain/alter that, which adds a degree of programmatic complexity. Maintenance always kills the fun.

On another note, since we seem to have people reading this thread today, I've got a notion to create a sub-template of our main forum skin specific to the remix reviews and judges decisions forums that would:

• Be mandatory - even if you'd selected the default vbulletin skin, in these forums, it'd not be available.
  • Remove some of the standard forum navigation, specifically the "User CP - FAQ - Members List - Calendar - Search" etc. bar and the thread header column.
  • Remove forum signatures
  • Remove most of the profile info (group icons, potentially avatars, etc.)

The rationale would be that, specifically in the reviews and judges decisions forums, being able to see everything that everyone's said very quickly is more important, that those threads should always be more about the mix in question than about someone's cool sig, and that it'd be nice if those forums were more integrated into the remix detail pages, which seems more natural when there's less "forum-type stuff" present.

Thoughts? I think it's a good idea... we could always put it to a poll, but before that, I'd like to see what people think. I could potentially do some mockups later tonight...

as long as you keep it to those forums, I'd love that.

I'm bummed to hear that having more content tied to the mixes will require some serious coding but I understand..

If there only would be some easy way.. Like connecting a blog post to each posted remix if the remixer decides to sign up for blogs. In other words, that post is editable by the remixer and shows at the tab. The down-side is you can type whatever you want O.o and again, the coding

as long as you keep it to those forums, I'd love that.

I'm bummed to hear that having more content tied to the mixes will require some serious coding but I understand..

If there only would be some easy way.. Like connecting a blog post to each posted remix if the remixer decides to sign up for blogs. In other words, that post is editable by the remixer and shows at the tab. The down-side is you can type whatever you want O.o and again, the coding

Good idea, with the blogs; I'll look into that.

As far as coding goes, our M.O. around here is to move slowly and deliberately, gradually adding stuff we think people want and like, without breaking the site or adding too much administrative/maintenance overhead. I've been making some progress with an improved administrative backend, and have been investigating several neat things we can do with vB, but one of the reasons we've been around pretty darn long, with pretty minimal downtime, is that we heavily rely on integrating open-source packages like vB (commercial OSS) and MediaWiki (free OSS) as opposed to rolling our own site from scratch.

We've got a lot of cool stuff planned though. One of the things I think we're going to do soon is have a dedicated "Site Feedback, Issues & Suggestions" forum, or something of that ilk, instead of relying on this single thread...

Good idea, with the blogs; I'll look into that.

We've got a lot of cool stuff planned though. One of the things I think we're going to do soon is have a dedicated "Site Feedback, Issues & Suggestions" forum, or something of that ilk, instead of relying on this single thread...

Thanks, I think it will also serve as a reason to get blogs so that's a good thing

Looking forward to updates!

EDIT: also, just realized what you were talking about with the reviews tab. (insert nice work guy here)

Nice, but... artists might want to maintain/alter that, which adds a degree of programmatic complexity. Maintenance always kills the fun.

On another note, since we seem to have people reading this thread today, I've got a notion to create a sub-template of our main forum skin specific to the remix reviews and judges decisions forums that would:

• Be mandatory - even if you'd selected the default vbulletin skin, in these forums, it'd not be available.
  • Remove some of the standard forum navigation, specifically the "User CP - FAQ - Members List - Calendar - Search" etc. bar and the thread header column.
  • Remove forum signatures
  • Remove most of the profile info (group icons, potentially avatars, etc.)

The rationale would be that, specifically in the reviews and judges decisions forums, being able to see everything that everyone's said very quickly is more important, that those threads should always be more about the mix in question than about someone's cool sig, and that it'd be nice if those forums were more integrated into the remix detail pages, which seems more natural when there's less "forum-type stuff" present.

Thoughts? I think it's a good idea... we could always put it to a poll, but before that, I'd like to see what people think. I could potentially do some mockups later tonight...

Sounds good to me, essentially stripping those down to the level of printable versions.

Nice, much cleaner. Of course, now we don't get the full hilariously ironic effect of Star Salzman posting about not having a big ego while his sig flips us off and reads "StarBLaSt > Joo!" :)

Also, I'm starting to realize how much I liked the review tab showing both the most recent review as well as the total review count. It made it that much easier to keep track of what was being said about a mix. Even if the review counter never returns, it may be more useful if clicking the review tab linked to the last review of the thread, rather than the thread’s first page.

Well, I thought about it... the other thing removing it accomplishes is that it buys back vertical page space, so 1024x768 people can see more of the initial reviews, plus four of the options on the nav bar are available via the drop-downs and sidebar...

Anyone else wanna chime in? I wanted to streamline these pages (reviews, judges decisions) as much as possible...

We have a crisis. In two of the three latest mixes posted, the particular songs being remixed have not been named (from Cool Spot and Pokemon Red). Now, fortunately, I am familiar enough with Cool Spot to recognize the theme being remixed. Unfortunately, even though I played it voraciously in 6th grade, I could not identify the Pokemon song being remixed, and with no title in the "song" category on the remix's page, I was woefully adrift. I am very upset by this, and am now cowering in a corner in an attempt to come to grips with this.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic