OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

Metal Slug 3 credits the system "Arcade" in its url path and whatnot, unlike Metal Slug 2 which credits the Neo Geo. Can the former be changed to credit the Neo Geo too?

No, because whenever we add a game into the database, we associate it with whatever platform the submitting artist attributes it to. After all that's what version of the game inspired the mix. In Prot's case for MS3, it was the Arcade version.

Speaking of, any plans to drop "Heart of the Samurai" from the Last Blade listing (since the Neo Geo version doesn't have that subtitle)?

Yep, gotta nag djp on that, but it'll get done yes. Definitely appreciate the reminder.

I don't know if this was brought up before, but..

http://bt.ocremix.org/ <- Any links that lead to a forum post, lead to a /phpBB/ directory instead of a /forums/ directory. Might need to update those.

Some remixes have been removed from ocremix because of rules violations, by request, or some other reason. The torrents served here contain only the remixes that are currently published on ocremix. This means that if you download OCR00001 to OCR01250 you will end up with quite a bit less than 1250 mp3s.

Problems

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Potential bug with the composer listings: Nobuo Uematsu's page shows that the most recent posted remix of his works is "Too Much Fighting" from VoTL, but as I speak, "Suco De Melancia" from VoTL is the most recent mix on the front page, just posted this morning.

In other words, the composer page for Uematsu hasn't updated yet. Maybe you just scan and update every now and then, but I would figure that's supposed to happen automatically. Anyway, now you know.

Potential bug with the composer listings: Nobuo Uematsu's page shows that the most recent posted remix of his works is "Too Much Fighting" from VoTL, but as I speak, "Suco De Melancia" from VoTL is the most recent mix on the front page, just posted this morning.

In other words, the composer page for Uematsu hasn't updated yet. Maybe you just scan and update every now and then, but I would figure that's supposed to happen automatically. Anyway, now you know.

djp can elaborate more, but he mentioned to me yesterday that the new composer pages are now on a 12-hour cache. So basically if anything is changed/updated, it'll take about 12 hours after the change for the page to update. If you look now, the info is current.

Just thought it might be appropriate to disable some of the font customization code in the review forum. Since we want to keep it clean (the sigs are gone and I love it) it might be another step to keep it that way. It hasn't really been a problem now, I just thought about it when I saw a review on Suco de Melancia. Think about it.

Sometimes when I check my user CP I see thread that I have subscribed to. Sometimes they have a grey icon, sometimes they're yellow. The thing is, I can look at this user CP some time after posting something, and... well, there are yellow-iconed thread listed... and I myself am the most recent poster in some of them.

Does this only happen when your latest post is the first post on a new page? That happens to me too and I think it's because you didn't visit the new page in the thread in some way..

Though I have a similar issue. Sometimes when I've replied to a bunch of threads I've been subscribed too and do something else for a minute and then refresh my User CP, they're all back as unread even though there's no new posts. I have no idea what's causing this but I figure it could be my internet configurations.. too bad I suck at those ;)

As I read the new composer and system profiles, I noticed something potentially misleading.

Below is an alphabetical listing of the 13 game(s) we have on record that this composer contributed to (view sortable list).

To me the words "on record" have the same connotation as the words "as far as we know." It isn't clear that the records are ultimately defined by which remixes are on the site, and the casual reader might think "hey, this site is pretty with it; their records probably include a complete listing of this composer's game projects"

The same issue is present in the system pages to an even greater extent:

We have 113 composer(s) on record for this system (view all). By number of games on record for each composer, the most active are:

This implies that a composer's "activity" is dependent on how many games in OCR's records she has worked on. If the casual reader makes the very easy but inaccurate assumption that OCR's records are complete representations of the composer's corpus of work--instead of a list of which games have had their music remixed and passed through the judges panel--they will have a distorted view of that composer.

If the casual reader makes the very easy but inaccurate assumption that OCR's records are complete representations of the composer's corpus of work--instead of a list of which games have had their music remixed and passed through the judges panel--they will have a distorted view of that composer.

Good point; I'll try to reword. Of course, some users are so... casual... that nothing I can do will prevent the misunderstanding, but it's a valid concern and should be addressed as much as possible. Thanks!

Also, AnSo - emulator links are broked. I'll fix them for you, but you owe me a sandwich :nicework:

Would you accept a list of 31 emulators on the Macintosh platform you haven't added yet instead? :3 Otherwise I guess I'll just have to get you that sandwich.. :/

I'm reworking the underlying database for storing emulators, so right now is a bad time to add a lot of stuff since the relationships/structure are in flux.

In other news... I added some wording to the two areas Linearity pointed out as being problematic.

I also:

• extended the minimized headers to the homepage
  • rewrote the homepage statement (more generic, perhaps, but I prefer it)
  • added the same icons used in our drop-down menus to the new headers
  • mucked about with the site's CSS a bit in ways you probably don't care about
  • added system icons to composer profile pages (shiny!)
  • remembered to breath

I'm reworking the underlying database for storing emulators, so right now is a bad time to add a lot of stuff since the relationships/structure are in flux.

In other news... I added some wording to the two areas Linearity pointed out as being problematic.

I also:

• mucked about with the site's CSS a bit in ways you probably don't care about
  • added system icons to composer profile pages (shiny!)
  • remembered to breath

The new headers are nice. It's interesting how the CSS for the site is almost entirely classes. Has it always been that way?

The new headers are nice. It's interesting how the CSS for the site is almost entirely classes. Has it always been that way?

Nah; used to be a lot dirtier. vBulletin dirties it up a bit, and there are still many things that could be refactored and may be redundant, but it's better than it's ever been. I added min-width to our main content div so it doesn't smush into chaos as readily today, among other things.

1) nice, I like it.

2) hmm. I'm a sucker for a poetic mission statement. You know, the type of thing that you'd feel good about ending by putting a little dash with your name next to it. Nevertheless, the new blurb certainly gets the point across.

3) nice, I like it.

Keep those updates coming for the new year. I am glad to see that as the visibility, popularity and number of talented contributors to OCR expands with each passing day, so to does this site’s professionalism, stylistic appeal and ability to better serve its countless supporters and fans. - Harmony :wink:

Whoa, I just noticed the "OC" was taken out of the fave icon. Somehow it's just...not the same.

It was more distinguishable that way, granted, but I prefer this antialiased, headphones-only version.

Will you be bringing back the 'sampler' links for remixes? It was nice to able to download a 30-second sample of a song to get a feel for it as opposed to the whole thing.

We didn't take them away, they're still there for mixes that are also available on Last.fm, we just need to update our last.fm library. I was gonna wait till OCR01700 but I should probably go ahead and do that soon.

There seems to be some kind of bug with the threaded mode in some topics.

I accidentaly switched to Threaded mode while reading the Nintendo Wii topic and got a blank screen with the following message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9500 bytes) in /home/ocremix/public_html/forums/showthread.php on line 1231

I have absolutely no idea what that means, maybe you wiser ones can fix this.

There seems to be some kind of bug with the threaded mode in some topics.

I accidentaly switched to Threaded mode while reading the Nintendo Wii topic and got a blank screen with the following message:

I have absolutely no idea what that means, maybe you wiser ones can fix this.

If I'm not mistaken (someone else can slap me and correct me if I am), Threaded mode doesn't have pages due to the way it is set up. As such, all the posts are on one page. ALL OF THEM. That's a lot of posts. The amount of memory allocated from the database for showing a thread is only so much (9500 bytes here, apparently), but due to the number of posts in that thread, the amount of memory needed to show all the posts far exceeds that, and thus you get an error. It isn't a "bug," so to speak. It's just an inherent limitation in Threaded mode.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic