OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

Okay, in all srsness, why was I banned on AF day? It's not a huge deal, of course. I can live without these forums for a day. But I don't know why. For kicks? That seems a bit lame. To teach me a lesson? For what? It seems I was the only guy this happened to, so some clarification would be appreciated.

Okay, in all srsness, why was I banned on AF day? It's not a huge deal, of course. I can live without these forums for a day. But I don't know why. For kicks? That seems a bit lame. To teach me a lesson? For what? It seems I was the only guy this happened to, so some clarification would be appreciated.

You weren't the only one. But, as always, anyone spoiling that fact that it was April 1st got the BANHAMMER for the day!

AND WE'D DO IT AGAIN!

You weren't the only one. But, as always, anyone spoiling that fact that it was April 1st got the BANHAMMER for the day!

???????

What do you mean? Spoiling? In what sense? Did I give away OCR's jokes? Or any other jokes?

At any rate, if you're gonna do that please let me know in the ban message so I (or anyone else) don't have to wonder, or track down an answer this way.

???????

What do you mean? Spoiling? In what sense? Did I give away OCR's jokes? Or any other jokes?

At any rate, if you're gonna do that please let me know in the ban message so I (or anyone else) don't have to wonder, or track down an answer this way.

That you couldn't figure out a ban message of http://static.flickr.com/43/78363625_d48840c032.jpg is awesome. Please do it again next year! :lol:

???????

You posted this at 1:26 A.M. on April 1, 2008:

So we all know what day today is. The Internet goes wild, but in RL the routine remains depressingly familiar. Classes, lunch, work, nothing seriously changes. One teacher quipped that he was "not fooling" when he assigned homework due today. A couple of my friends are going are going to try and steal their boss's chair, but I don't work with them and they may not even be able to do it.

So what will you do? How will you celebrate this day, which many used to foolishly believe was the New Year before the Gregorian Calendar and pimp-slapped their asses?

It has been a tradition among the mods to silence anyone who mentions that it is April Fool's Day on April 1st. While we didn't have a big joke this year because of most of the site staff being too busy to pull anything together, it has been a huge problem in the past with people who've tried to ruin all the classic OCR jokes like EAMix and Paid Member accounts. These people believe that they are the smartest people ever and that they are obligated to ruin any kind of April Fool's fun that we may have.

Call it nipping things in the bud.

That you couldn't figure out a ban message of http://static.flickr.com/43/78363625_d48840c032.jpg is awesome. Please do it again next year! :lol:

Well as soon as I read this I got it, of course. Remember, I thought it was a prank. Wasn't going to read too much into it. Banned me for steak sauce, whatever. Perhaps it was that important. Even if I did make the A1 connection, that doesn't say to me, "We temp banned you because you made some risky comments regarding acknowledgment of April Fool's."

It has been a tradition among the mods to silence anyone who mentions that it is April Fool's Day on April 1st.

Advanced knowledge of this would help considerably.

While we didn't have a big joke this year because of most of the site staff being too busy to pull anything together, it has been a huge problem in the past with people who've tried to ruin all the classic OCR jokes like EAMix and Paid Member accounts. These people believe that they are the smartest people ever and that they are obligated to ruin any kind of April Fool's fun that we may have.

Call it nipping things in the bud.

Do you understand how my comment was not what you're indicating? I've never the guy who goes "IT'S A JOKE GUYS LOL" in response to an Internet AF joke I may see. If people aren't smart enough to figure it out on this day of all days, all the better for them when they find out themselves.

I never said anything last AF, and I've never done it anywhere else. Rather, I was curious as to what other people were going to do to people in their day-to-day, RL routine. I didn't ask what OCR pranks would or wouldn't be pulled. I was genuinely interested in how people would spend April Fool's.

Do you understand how my comment was not what you're indicating? I've never the guy who goes "IT'S A JOKE GUYS LOL" in response to an Internet AF joke I may see. If people aren't smart enough to figure it out on this day of all days, all the better for them when they find out themselves.

Do you understand that by simply talking about April Fool's Day you're alerting people to the fact that anything that seems remotely suspicious could potentially be a joke? It doesn't matter whether you are actively trying to ruin a joke or you are genuinely interested in what people are doing for the day. The fact of the matter is that you reminded people that it was April Fool's Day. At 1:30 in the morning. On April Fool's Day. Innocent intentions or not, you spoiled the day for jokesters. You were banned so that you wouldn't be able to post, so that you wouldn't inadvertently do it again. You weren't banned because you committed any kind of serious offense, and you certainly weren't the first, last, or only one who got banned for the day. Get over it.

As for this?

It has been a tradition among the mods to silence anyone who mentions that it is April Fool's Day on April 1st.

Advanced knowledge of this would help considerably.

Yeah, that's a great idea. We're gonna tell everyone right before April Fool's Day that if they talk about April Fool's Day on April Fool's Day we're gonna ban them for all of April Fool's Day. Brilliant. That'll make sure nobody remembers that it's April Fool's Day.

:roll:

Sorry to sound anal, but while that does confirm one area that music is from, I'd need to know if it was repeated elsewhere in the game. Provided the stages are linear, that's why I'd need a speedrun of the game to confirm everything without any doubt. YouTube does have a complete run split into several vids, so if you or anyone else has the free time to verify that, I'd appreciate it. Time is currently not a commodity I have a lot of.

I'm actually pretty sure all the music in the game is re-used. What exactly would that mean for naming the track, though? Would you name it a combination of all the levels?

I know that Bravo Sector Wave 2 is certainly the first place in the game it is used, being the second level.

• 3 weeks later...
there's a lot of empty gray area everywhere, here. there's about 4 inches of empty gray between the latest remixes block and the forums and announcements blocks, and another 6 or 7 inches between the roulette and 'previously on OCR' blocks and the bottom of the page.

Firefox 2.0.0.14 @ 1440x900

(yes I cleared my cache)

do you have adblock enabled

This is the case with most people having the empty space problem I'm guessing. Those 4 inches are normally occupied by a vertical ad.

Yeah my adblock is up too. Though enabling ads for OCR won't make more inclined to click them if that's what djp is thinking of. ;)

The grey borders on the front page are a good idea, but they are a bit too dark to fit wit the rest of the page imo. The white areas aren't even on the bottom of the darker grey box, either. Making them even on the right side would help.

I've gone ahead and done this, although in my opinion the uneven floating had substantial benefit for users at 1600x1200 and above. Ultimately, there's far more of you at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so perhaps the visual "evenness" in this instance is more important.

I'll continue to make tweaks, but the dark grey employed matches the grey in the site header, and in my opinion the contrast really helps visually separate different types of information on a page.

As for those complaining about grey space because they're using adblock... I'm never going to design for adblock users. Also, even if you don't click them and never will, simply viewing them helps out statistically. Furthermore, I've already promised never to re-enable pop-ups, and am working towards getting more relevant ads on the site and getting rid of the ringtone crap. I'd really prefer you disable adblock when browsing the site; it helps me, it helps OCR, and it prevents confusion when you're not seeing what most everyone else is and you then complain about grayspace that I'm not seeing (yes, there's legit grayspace elsewhere, but in this instance it seems like the adblock was the primary culprit).

On a sidenote: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.ocremix.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

I've gone ahead and done this, although in my opinion the uneven floating had substantial benefit for users at 1600x1200 and above. Ultimately, there's far more of you at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so perhaps the visual "evenness" in this instance is more important.

Nooo they be stealin' mah vertical space! :[

I talked to richter about this and he suggested enabling the uneven floating only if the user's screen size is detected to be higher 1600x1200 or higher. Seems slightly ghetto, but sounds like it would work.

Grats! I didn't know it didn't validate before.

Now you just gotta work on your CSS. ;)

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic