OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

IIRC, user homepages used to be accessible by clicking a little house icon below the location info area, just like the ICQ, MSN, etc. info. This isn't the case anymore, can't remember when this changed but it must have been a long time ago. Was the change intentional?

Dave iced it because he didn't like how it looked on the homepage, but I thought they were very good additions. If there was a way to bring those back in a way he can live with, I'd be completely in favor of it.

I think I would have liked some advanced notice that the boards were going to be moved around like that. Oh, well.

"Yes, sir, Mr. President!" :lol: For something this small, it wasn't necessary.

Projects forum should be moved back to the main index. That's my only complaint.

Thought about it before it was moved, but not feeling it. Honestly, that area is so specialized that the most important traffic comes from the people actually working on the projects. It doesn't quite need to be a first-level forum. The only thing missing by making it a subforum is knowing what the last post is from, but that wasn't a big enough deal IMO to keep it where it was.

Posting this here as well...

I'm not sure I'll like this. With this many subforums it gets cluttered, and I'm not sure making Feedback: ReMixes a subforum is gonna give it any more attention than it got before.

Besides, won't there be confusion now between feedback: ReMixes and the Reviews forum?

Yeah, the latest wip posts are on the front page, which Darke was quick to point out, but not everyone go there regularly.

Also, this change looks terrible on my laptop. There's already a thick nav bar, the lists of subforums don't really make it any better.

(the links are screenshots, and offtopic isn't even there)

Yeah, the latest wip posts are on the front page, which Darke was quick to point out, but not everyone go there regularly.

Also, this change looks terrible on my laptop. There's already a thick nav bar, the lists of subforums don't really make it any better.

(the links are screenshots, and offtopic isn't even there)

When you post screenshots, I'm assuming something's broken. So when I just see the new design in place with nothing broken, I have no clue what the point of your screenshots are. :lol: IMO, it looks good.

The problem in this screenshot is having to scroll down just to see the new posts. There's a nav bar with logo and mascot and a search box, location info, followed by forum controls, more location info, five subforums, new thread button, more location info, and then comes the stickied threads. new posts are quite far down, making it necessary to scroll down each time I open either of the forums with multiple subforums.

In this screenshot it's more a matter of where the eyes are drawn, which is the large forums, not the subforums. The subforum lists blend into the forum descriptions. Requests, which have been moved up, will probably get a little more attention, Workshop and Site Issues probably less. Come to think of it, Workshop might get more than before, but the workshop subforums far less.

Translation to Judgish: The design is good but the arrangement needs work. The arrangement is cluttered, it'd work better if things were separated better. It seems like some of the lead forums are in the background while backing forums get the attention of the viewer. The header is a bit too long, taking up most of the window. The updated forum doesn't work well on small screens. It takes too long for the page to get to the threads. NO (refine/resub).

What's not to like? The idea of quickly being able to check out some random user's homepage, or the little house icon?

Larry's talking about one thing, Dafydd's talking about something else. Larry's talking about the homepage/email icons that would show up next to remixer names on the list of latest mixes on the homepage. Dafydd I believe is talking about the homepage icon on each user's post header in the forums, if they have one. The former is definitely not coming back, the latter I'm still considering but leaning towards.

When you post screenshots, I'm assuming something's broken. So when I just see the new design in place with nothing broken, I have no clue what the point of your screenshots are. :lol: IMO, it looks good.

It looks good to me as well but we can still consider moving things around a bit more today.

Translation to Judgish: The design is good but the arrangement needs work. The arrangement is cluttered, it'd work better if things were separated better. It seems like some of the lead forums are in the background while backing forums get the attention of the viewer. The header is a bit too long, taking up most of the window. The updated forum doesn't work well on small screens. It takes too long for the page to get to the threads. NO (refine/resub).

Hey Rozovian. Pretending to be a judge and "translating" your criticism isn't funny or clever. It's being a dick. Stop being a dick.

I've noticed that a few forums have gotten more attention than before with this new layout (like 'REQUESTS' and 'REMIXING' - the activity has certainly increased significantly since the change). That's good news, for sure...

However, although I cannot say for sure, I suspect that the good ol' WIP forum may not get as much attention due to the lack of it being in the forefront of the forums page. I guess time will tell; that would be my main complaint about the new setup, It could lead to fewer people in WIP.

Ah well, we gain some and lose some - I believe the benefits outweigh the problems, in this case.

First, a belated thanks for fixing the "view all" links next to "Latest ReMixes" on the Organization pages. Now it appears those same links in the "Games" subsection are missing the slash mark / between the company and "games" (e.g. capcomgames should be capcom/games like in the tab up top).

I suggest taking Projects and the Feedback forums and putting them in their own group of forums. There's too many subforums in Workshop, this would leave 3 of them - a much more manageable number, and reduce the Community subforums to 3 as well. The suggested group could probably house Workshop and its remaining subforums as well.

And if there is then a shortage of subforums, Album Comments/Reviews could be a subforum under ReMix Comments/Reviews. Clears up the forum page to make room for the suggestion above.

The obscure location and name of the WIP board isn't helping. The name Feedback: Workshop ReMixes is kind'a weird, it implies they are ocr ReMixes. Then there's the occasional confusions about whether a post there is a wip or a release, and the name doesn't really help clear that up (or even suggest there's both wips and releases there). I know I've previously suggested splitting them into two forums to more distinguish between them but that's another matter. With the most useful feedback coming from regulars, not from first-time visitors who come via the ocr front page, burying the forum seems counter-productive.

edit: ppl are apparently confused, this thread was in the FL forum, not Feedback: Workspace ReMixes.

Suggestion for Darke.

Edited by Rozovian
added link to fl remix in fl forum

• 2 weeks later...

There are spelling disagreements on the title of this mix. The variations are:

CMS101LevelOne (mix page and overt file info)

CMS-101-Level One (Winamp playlist info)

CSM-101 Level One (Review and Judges Decisions thread titles)

OK, so everything about the site is phenomenal. All the work that djp has put into the whole ordeal is amazing and continually impresses me. Streamlined, everything. I don't want to go on a sycophantic rant here - what I'm really looking for is something so simple it's probably right in front of my face, yet through all the forum searching I've done I have yet to find it. Is there any way to orient the forum threads in the top-down, left-to-right manner like any other forum? I find it slightly awkward to have to go to the "last" page and then read from the bottom to the top. Any way I can change a setting for my own account and have them display so the latest/newest post is on the bottom of the last page and the first post is on the top of the first? I've been a OCR fan for years but have only recently started engaging in forum discussions. Thanks in advance.

Go to your control panel (labeled "User CP"), and click on Edit Options. Then scroll down until you hit Thread Display Options. One of the settings Thread Display Mode. Click on the drop-down menu and select "Linear - Oldest First". Now just save your settings and you'll be all set.

• 3 weeks later...
Amy noticed that the 15 latest comments on a ReMix page also shows deleted comments. Check out http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00316/ vs. http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148&page=5 for an example.

Noticed that too. Another occurrence (eighth one down, as of now): http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01711/ and http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16169&page=2. It was deleted for a good reason, but the ones Palpable pointed out are worse.

Also, this page just delivers coding errors: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01180/.

(such as: Warning: DOMDocument::loadXML() [domdocument.loadxml]: Opening and ending tag mismatch: x line 11 and blockquote in Entity, line: 18 in /home/ocremix/public_html/includes/php/classes/BaseView.php on line 155)

I know IE 8 is pretty much the devil, but I thought I'd let you know about a bug. I went to this page, http://www.ocremix.org/game/secret-of-monkey-island-dos/, and noticed that there were some thumbnails of screenshots to click on. I thought that was a cool idea, by the way. So, I clicked on it and got... nothing. The lights dimmed, but nothing came up. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.abadoss.net/images/ocr-error_-_6-16-09.png

Quoi?

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic