Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

It's a really minor thing, and someone else has probably picked up on it...

But if you go to this link...

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01588/

and on the right hand side, under "Remix Information", click the "Next" icon, you'll find it gives you a 404 page not found.

I believe it's due to the fact that the link attached to the word "next" is

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCr01589/

and as you can see, I believe the lower case r is causing all the trouble.

No one else picked up on it and it was entered wrong in the database by yours truly; thanks for letting us know, should work correctly now.

Wow, didn't know you had to enter those links by hand. Sounds incredibly tedious...

Not the links, just the mix IDs... next and prev links are in fact dynamic, but in this case since I butterfingered the ID itself (which could have been an autoincrement but is instead manual - conscious decision on my part), the link got fudged too.

I only just realized that we lost this in the vB changeover:

There are no longer any "Go to remix" links for ReViews threads.

Hey seriously. I can see the postcounts on every single post just fine when using the "default style". I don't know if the "problem" is on my end but anyways that's the truth.

I only just realized that we lost this in the vB changeover:

There are no longer any "Go to remix" links for ReViews threads.

Yeah, that one's in the To-Do list. Hope that happens sooner rather than later.

For anyone who cares, I managed to merge accounts for a number of community members who had to register new accounts. All merges were done to the oldest account so that the earliest Join Date was preserved, I manually updated the old account with the info from the most recent account, and then sent out a password reminder (which was likely the password to the old account). For anyone who cares, post counts were also merged. I think Dan Baranowsky had the most oldschool account, user #50. Enjoy.

This isn't really an issue, just a small preference in usability...when you search for a mix, it'd be more convenient for the ReMixes to appear in the leftmost field of the results, while the game remixed might be pushed to the right of it. It's kind of a consistency thing for me...since the mixes are always on the left when browsing the list, it's instinctive for me to click on the leftmost links, which unfortunately when using the search function instead brings me to the game. I understand if this isn't really on the list of high priorities, but it seems like something fairly easy to do if you decide to do it.

Uh, I don't know if this is actually an OCR problem or if it's something external, but I think there are some problems with the 'Aplus' mirrors of the remixes. I was getting 404'ed on the new Jazz Jackrabbit 2 remix, so I checked the three mixes before that. Amanda's Tears (FF Adventure) was connecting to the Aplus mirrors fine, but the FFX and Contra mixes were 404ing.

Again, I'm not sure if this is a problem with OCR, with Aplus, or me, or just crazy internet shenanigans, but I thought I should mention it. :)

I think it'd be cool if you were able to hover the mouse over other users' avatars and see the avatar's name instead of "X's avatar", which isn't really that helpful anyway. Dunno how much work would be necessary to do it, but since you can already do it when browsing the avatar gallery, it should be an easy fix, I think.

Or a link to that OCR Avatar Profile dealie-type thing. Course, that was for the Mascots, not the avatars.

I SUGGEST MORE WORK FOR ALL CONTRIBUTORS.

THEY LIKE TO WORK FOR FREE ANYWAYS.

Like I said, it shouldn't be much work. The line of code that says "[username]'s avatar" needs to be changed to "[avatar name]". I don't know how the site works but it shouldn't be a lot more complicated than that. The PHP script generates this page, and a piece of html code that looks like this:

alt="Dafydd's Avatar"

So, I I don't think this is a redesign issue per se, but I don't think it happened BEFORE the redesign and switchover so..yeah.

Seems every time a new remix is released, I can never download from Alpus for the first few hours. Dreamhost, Supertux, and..the other one..whatever...they all work fine. Aplus never seems to work for the first while. 404'd.

Just FYI, in case you didn't already know.

Larry,

Help people understand how to reply to threads properly. Threaded/Hybrid mode good. A lot of people are replying to random posts in the middle of gigantic threads which make things really hard to follow, especially when they don't quote things. Not quoting things would be fine, if they reply to the right post though. IMO Linear mode and Hybrid/Threaded Mode cannot coexist properly. TIME TO FORCE ONE OR THE OTHER

The smileys panel on the right of this box I'm typing in right now is not very space-efficient. Most of the smileys appear twice or thrice, and one of the available spots is empty! We could fit in 7 more smileys on that panel and still keep it the same size.

This isn't really an issue, just a small preference in usability...when you search for a mix, it'd be more convenient for the ReMixes to appear in the leftmost field of the results, while the game remixed might be pushed to the right of it. It's kind of a consistency thing for me...since the mixes are always on the left when browsing the list, it's instinctive for me to click on the leftmost links, which unfortunately when using the search function instead brings me to the game. I understand if this isn't really on the list of high priorities, but it seems like something fairly easy to do if you decide to do it.

Considered it; I agree on one level but disagree on another. It's consistent for the leftmost column to be the "main" entity being listed, yes, but we're also consistently presenting ReMixes with the game first, because this most closely represents their official, complete title and also echoes ID3 tags, etc. Ultimately I feel consistency with the game-first-title-second convention outweighs the leftmost-column-is-primary-data-item-column issue, and prefer it this way. Just letting you know I considered it originally, and reconsidered it upon your feedback.

Hovering over the avatar and getting the avatar name sounds good to me, will do it when I get the time.

Aplus mirror is a case of my credit card expiring and their control panel being... less than intuitive. Should be addressed sometime this week.

Obviously, we haven't posted in over a week, so that's first priority, but I want to start checking off some of these dev items before they become unmanageable.

I usually browse mixes by game, not by remix name, so I like it the way it is. If the colums were switched, I'd probably click the game name by mistake as always anyway (yeah, I do it too, dhsu).

So, I I don't think this is a redesign issue per se, but I don't think it happened BEFORE the redesign and switchover so..yeah.

Seems every time a new remix is released, I can never download from Alpus for the first few hours. Dreamhost, Supertux, and..the other one..whatever...they all work fine. Aplus never seems to work for the first while. 404'd.

Just FYI, in case you didn't already know.

In case it got lost on the last page.

I'm only really quoting it, though, because such is also the case right now.

Well, I'm not sure if the probem is on your end (which I'm doubting) but I've been using the Aplus for downloads and the only two that I can't download are:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01068

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00158

I don't know why I'm one of the few who actually have... partial access with this mirror, but it's pretty wierd.

Well, I'm not sure if the probem is on your end (which I'm doubting) but I've been using the Aplus for downloads and the only two that I can't download are:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01068

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00158

I don't know why I'm one of the few who actually have... partial access with this mirror, but it's pretty wierd.

We've had general Aplus iffyness on account of djp's credit card changing since he registered with them. I believe he said earlier that they tried to bill the old one when renewal time came, and (of course) it didn't take, so the mirror went down. He can elaborate and/or go over the extent of what's working with that mirror.

The OCRemix site has for quite a while now used DHTML to replace content on the remix pages when you click on a tab. This is all well and good but the href="#" for these links makes your browser (or at least Firefox) go back to the top of the page. I find this quite annoying as I often scroll down and then have to scroll down again after I click a tab. I asked for this to be fixed when it was first introduced but heard nothing.

Today I wrote up a simple Greasemonkey script to replace those naughty hrefs with javascript:void(0) to stop the jumping back to the top of the page. The status bar text is a bit uglier, sure, but at least it no longer jumps to the top on a click:

// ==UserScript==
// @name OCRemix # removal
// @namespace [url]http://www.reversefold.com/[/url]
// @description Remove OCRemix's # links for tabs
// @include [url]http://www.ocremix.org/remix/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

var allLinks, thisLink;
allLinks = document.evaluate('//a[@href="#"]',
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);
for (var i = 0; i < allLinks.snapshotLength; ++i) {
thisLink = allLinks.snapshotItem(i);
for (var j = 0; j < thisLink.attributes.length; ++j) {
if (thisLink.attributes[j].nodeName == "onclick"
&& thisLink.attributes[j].value.substr(0, 13) == "highlightTab(") {
thisLink.href = "javascript:void(0)";
continue;
}
}
}

Larry,

Help people understand how to reply to threads properly. Threaded/Hybrid mode good. A lot of people are replying to random posts in the middle of gigantic threads which make things really hard to follow, especially when they don't quote things. Not quoting things would be fine, if they reply to the right post though. IMO Linear mode and Hybrid/Threaded Mode cannot coexist properly. TIME TO FORCE ONE OR THE OTHER

Hm, I don't see why people wouldn't quote a post in the middle of the thread...if they just randomly reply to someone, it confuses the people in linear mode too.

But if we're going to go with one or the other, I'm for getting rid of the silly threaded modes. I'll never understand what compels people to make their lives harder with extra scrolling and clicking on every post they wanna read. And some posts don't even show up in threaded mode.