OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

Liontamer

Well, here's one idea: I could make them a top level link.

i.e. about, browse, community, links, mixing, store, TORRENTS, home

I do feel like that list would then be getting a little long, however...

If I nixed "mixing" (page would still exist, but we'd move it under "about" for navigation), I'd feel comfortable that there's enough space...

Thoughts?

incest party

:shock:....:puppyeyes:....:dstrbd:

As to your idea Dave, it works fine for me. You could also just throw a link in the sidebar under the browse heading. It's not quite in the same category, but it's closer to belonging there than anywhere else.

Anyhow, I'm on widescreen, so even the link bar at the top of the page has about 600 pixels left to expand before it starts looking cramped. But if you put it in the sidebar, the page obviously expands downwards just ever so slightly instead of sideways, so you do away with whatever resolution differences people might have.

Personally I think Torrents can take WIPs and Compos place anyday. After all this is OverClocked ReMix, it's mostly about OverClocked ReMixes. ;)

sure the forums need some people but that's not why most people are here. think outside the incest party that is the forums :D

Sorry, but that's total bullshit as far as WIP forum is concerned. The WIP forum is one of the most important aspects of the site that simply does not get enough attention because it's buried in the forums. OCR is about the remixes, and the WIP forum is for the development of upcoming artists and their remixes.

Top-level link would be great Dave.

:shock:....:puppyeyes:....:dstrbd:

Anyhow, I'm on widescreen, so even the link bar at the top of the page has about 600 pixels left to expand before it starts looking cramped. But if you put it in the sidebar, the page obviously expands downwards just ever so slightly instead of sideways, so you do away with whatever resolution differences people might have.

Well, common dogma says humans do better with navigation lists that have a max of seven items; anything else and it tends to become less usable, regardless of whether there's space available or not.

I'll definitely add it to browse page and drop-down navigation, but arguments that it needs to be VERY prominent are persuasive, seeing as the protocol itself relies on a bunch of users to even make sense.

And for the record, I agree with DS that the WIP forum being highlighted more is a good thing!

I'll definitely add it to browse page and drop-down navigation, but arguments that it needs to be VERY prominent are persuasive, seeing as the protocol itself relies on a bunch of users to even make sense.

And for the record, I agree with DS that the WIP forum being highlighted more is a good thing!

I definitely agree on the WIP and Compo areas getting the additional attention they need.

As for the torrents, I wouldn't die with a top-level link on the tabs or whatever, but I've just gotta keep saying that even if deemed clunky (I disagreed), those torrent downloads will suffer if the list isn't given, in full, on the main page. And it'll be a permanent effect.

While I understand general ebb and flow, VotL is now down to 47 leechers. And again, that's down from a very steady mid-to-high 70s right up to the day the torrent listings were taken down. I don't know the exact dropoff for the OCR00001-1000 torrent, but that's the 2nd most popular one, and it's definitely down as well. In the long run, no front page torrent listings just needlessly hurts our reach. If you're starting to lean that way, Dave, toward putting them back up, I'm definitely with that.

I don't mind that they got pulled down in the first place. At the very least, it was educational to see the effect this had on the most popular torrents.

top level link = yes please.

I didn't mean that the WIP forums (and the links to it) are unnecessary in any way I just think personally, the torrents are more important for most visitors.

While the WIP forum is one of the most important aspects of the site that simply does not get enough attention, I never said anything contradicting that. I just think that, if we had the choose between the two, the torrents are more important. It's easier and more accessible for most to download through torrents (especially with selective downloads) and with the recent attention drawn to OCR because of various events, many new eyes will stroll here looking for downloads. Many probably thinking "why do I have to download each mix one and one?".

and THAT's why I made that statement ;)

Somebody has to have already asked this but I'm gonna ask anyway:

1.Are the post count names ever gonna get changed/amended?

2.Are their gonna be any new avatars?

3.How do you use custom avatars?

Sorry for the receptiveness if any,Thanks.

1.Are the post count names ever gonna get changed/amended?

2.Are their gonna be any new avatars?

3.How do you use custom avatars?

1. No, and it's not up there on the list of things to do. :lol: They already got revised a year or two ago. Unless you have good ideas on names after 10K posts, which I don't think djp wanted anyway, I don't think we're doing anything on that.

Dafydd already did a good job answering 2 and 3. Clarifying 3, the only way you can get a custom avatar is to have some sort of standing in the community to me. Then you'd have to make it and have me approve it.

1. No, and it's not up there on the list of things to do. :lol: They already got revised a year or two ago. Unless you have good ideas on names after 10K posts, which I don't think djp wanted anyway, I don't think we're doing anything on that.

I was thinking like every 50 post you got a new name (With this post I have 151.)

I noticed the smilies box was fixed. ... I think... or at least it was changed. I don't see the pac-man one anywhere now. There's still a number of duplicates there, but oh well.

Anyway, the effect where the main page becomes darkened when you're watching a music video doesn't seem to cover all of the page, at least not in firefox. The sidebars, both on left and right, all lists (forum threads etc), the top menu, and the album images all remain in their original color.

Why does this page http://www.ocremix.org/game/tetris-gb/ list the Tetris type-B music as "Csikos Post" when it isn't? That's a completely different tune!

Was probably previously incorrect information on Wikipedia, or it could have been the B-Type for another release. It's fixed. If you don't see it immediately, it just needs to cache.

• Liontamer changed the title to OC ReMix connection not secure?
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • DarkeSword locked and unpinned this topic