Liontamer

OverClocked ReMix Design ?'s and Issues

i was wondering if the music on the site could also be categorized by style and genre. it would be so much easier searching for rock, trance, classical etc. music on the site. especially since some games have not been played by some people.
The idea of searching by genre has been brought up plenty of times before. In most cases, the idea was shot down because it was believed that it would limit the exposure of certain remixes (ie: if a user searched exclusively for trance remixes, he'd miss out on all of the orchestral remixes, and vice versa, etc...).

I think it was only recently that djp mentioned the possibility of a genre / tagging system being implemented in the future (see this thread, this post in particular).

I hope I've summarized the situation well enough. :<

I do now have a mechanism in place that allows for hierarchical categorization by genre... for games. Very similar code/structure could be used for mixes... I think the consensus on the judges panel is that we want to run any implementation of mix genres by ReMixers, and do a private poll of the artists themselves, before moving ahead.

"Vocals" wouldn't be a genre, but it might fall under a different branch of what essentially equates to a taxonomy.

So we'll be able to sort by action, RPG, adventure, etc.? Or is it something else, since I'm not sure you'd see that particular functionality being utilized very often.

So we'll be able to sort by action, RPG, adventure, etc.? Or is it something else, since I'm not sure you'd see that particular functionality being utilized very often.

Since we don't have a musical genre tree down firmly, it was really just a dry run to get implementation sorted out.

- On the torrents page, the Voices of the Lifestream torrent is mislabeled as a second Delta-Q-Delta.

- In the "Previously on OverClocked ReMix..." list on the front page, there's two spaces, not one, between the single quotation mark ' following the ReMix title and the word "by."

With supertux going down, it seems that a lot of the album pages are left mirror-less

A lot of the remix album pages still have supertux links: some projects list them exclusively, some list several non-working mirrors, and other album pages don't seem to load at all.

This is probably already known and being dealt with, but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so I thought I'd bring it up.

You know, just in case.

Since we don't have a musical genre tree down firmly, it was really just a dry run to get implementation sorted out.

Ah, cool.

In the game list, Chrono Trigger shows up as having 82 mixes, even thought it actually has 88. Guessing this discrepancy isn't restricted to just CT though.

And this is more of a wish list kind of thing, but it'd be cool to have the songs list for each game sorted in album order if an album is available.

Ah, cool.

In the game list, Chrono Trigger shows up as having 82 mixes, even thought it actually has 88. Guessing this discrepancy isn't restricted to just CT though.

And this is more of a wish list kind of thing, but it'd be cool to have the songs list for each game sorted in album order if an album is available.

It would; will definitely consider it.

Regarding the CT count discrepancy, that's direct mixes (named) vs. mixes that are primary to another game but include material from CT. The query that calculates count needs to take into account indirect mixes... I guess. It's debatable, really... a mix could have only a passing reference to CT and still be included. I'm thinking what might make more sense is more clearly separating the direct vs. indirect mixes on the game detail page.

I noticed when viewing the info for a Sega Genesis remix that the system is listed as "gen". That is,

Shouldn't it say "Sega Genesis" or at the very least "Genesis"? I'm down with NES and SNES, but "gen"? Also, when doing this for NES and SNES, it would look much better if they were written in capitals rather than the current lower case, that is, not

but

Same with PlayStation (now listed as ps1) and Game Boy (now listed as gb). There's room to expand these to spell out the full name of these consoles. Few people ever say "gb" (though possibly gbc and gba), even though many say "ps1", and "PSP" is fine too, but writing all of these in all lower case doesn't look good at all. From what I can tell, you should be able to fit most of these into the little console boxes in the remix lists too ("Windows" instead of "win" for example)

Not to say the idea won't be considered, but the explanation on what's currently in place is that they use the same shorthand names used in the database.

the explanation on what's currently in place is that they use the same shorthand names used in the database.

Yes, that's what I thought. How's the issues subforum coming anyway?

Hmmm, I dunno about that one. I dislike having to click on the game title, THEN find the view all link to actually see all the mixes for the games. I also still think, years later, that it was much easier to find the game you were looking for when there was a screenie of each one on the side of the page in the games list.

Hmmm, I dunno about that one. I dislike having to click on the game title, THEN find the view all link to actually see all the mixes for the games. I also still think, years later, that it was much easier to find the game you were looking for when there was a screenie of each one on the side of the page in the games list.

I do too, but size efficiency is more important, I guess.

I do too, but size efficiency is more important, I guess.

True, but what I wonder is how important vertical economy of size is to people on a webpage. I mean, vert scrollbars are pretty much a way of life. We certainly all scroll through these forums enough. So if we could have screenies without increasing page width or cramming up the CSS stylesheet, would it be that bad?

Honestly, I personally feel like a lot of the information we have as far as mixes and sorting now is TOO text heavy, and crammed too close together, which makes it very difficult to scan quickly. We've got a LOT of choices as to how to sort and view the mixes, but it's almost like there's TOO many different ways to do things. From a design perspective, I feel like a little bit of the visually artistic side of the site has given way to cold hard info that's difficult to see.

Don't get me wrong Dave, I'd sell my soul to be able to code up a site like this. The above is really my only gripe.

Made some formatting changes to the lists... feedback here.

Less scrolling, which is good. I kinda miss the little console icons though. And the colors kind of don't fit too well with the rest of the site (they're too dark). Would look better with the changes I suggested on the previous page though.

Well, first the most obvious thing: the dark grays are too big of a contrast in my opinion, not only with the surrounding white area, but in terms of consistency with the rest of the site. You don't see those colors in any of the other, non-list content areas (front page, links, wiki, etc.) so there's a bit of a disconnect. It's not quite the color of the site header either, so that adds to the effect.

The second thing is pretty minor, but it might be preferable to align the headings left instead of center. Since there are now no grid lines or other form of differentiation between columns, it provides more visual organization IMO. In fact, right now if there is an entry that's long enough, it will cause the headings to appear to be on entirely separate columns from the shorter entries. Here, for example, the "title" heading is completely to the right of the titles until you scroll down. To this end, it also might help to wrap the sub-list of composers to a certain width (see: entry for "Blazing Lazers" on the same page) to avoid stretching out the column so much.

BTW, pretty sure it's been like this forever, but I just noticed that the "home" tab is on the very right, which is kind of odd. Not a gripe, just unexpected.

Well, first the most obvious thing: the dark grays are too big of a contrast in my opinion, not only with the surrounding white area, but in terms of consistency with the rest of the site. You don't see those colors in any of the other, non-list content areas (front page, links, wiki, etc.) so there's a bit of a disconnect. It's not quite the color of the site header either, so that adds to the effect.

Yeah, I agree on all those levels regarding the dark color scheme of the lists and was thinking the same things (doesn't match the other areas) as well last night. Unless the rest of the site is getting modified on this level, which I don't believe is the case, I'd rather see the light color scheme back in place.

Dave mentioned to me he liked some of Shadow Wolf's comments regarding the screenshots, and I agreed that the games list looks too cold as well. The headshots of the various composers is a good example of how another area was spiced up, so it makes sense to bring back the screenshots as descriptors for the games as well, which also looks more consistent overall.

Like the addition of screenshots for remixes (I only saw it when checking a remixer profile but I like it nonetheless). Lovely.