Castlevania: Cacophony of Incarnation 2016

MindWanderer

18 minutes ago, Jorito said:

So I noticed that MindWanderer is already using the forum's calendar to schedule the voting. How about adding the compo rounds themselves to the calendar too? I'm a bit preoccupied atm, and not having to go to the opening post to see the dates would be helpful. Might be interesting to other people too :)

I'm not sure how interesting it would be to non-competitors, and the sidebar is already a bit cluttered with just the voting rounds.  I'd rather keep the signal-to-noise ratio as high as possible.

Once the final bracket is revealed, I'll put up a page with the full calendar.  Until then, just remember that you start remixing a week from tomorrow.

1 hour ago, wildfire said:

I think having that information on the calendar would be helpful. Also, the submission times on those dates, with time zones clearly marked. I'd hate to accidentally submit mine past the deadline due to time zone confusion.

Well, voting begins when the submission period ends, so your deadline is here.  If you feel that's not enough, I can add the remixing periods to the calendar; I just want to make sure that casual visitors to the site are able to see the voting periods as clearly as possible, to spark interest.

Soma Bracket

Amusingly, while the Alucard bracket minimized the chronological distance between each pair, this bracket maximizes it.  Which is pretty cool, since it means there's an Aria of Sorrow component to each entry of the Soma bracket.  Again, this is just what the random number generator pulled.

How are our Alucard mixers doing?  Hopefully you're all at least halfway done!

1 minute ago, Esperado said:

too bad there arent any midis of it floating around.

All you really need is the key.  If you have a keyboard then finding the melodies after you know the key is easier.  Or, if you already know the key of your song just use that and transpose Beth's song to it.  That's probably the easier approach.

1 minute ago, Venom Fighter X said:

So I am very new to this site, but I am eager to get involved. I am having  hard time deciphering the information...

Let me know if I am wrong, the brackets have already started and it is to late to enter the competition. Voting on the Soma beings February 3? 

That's correct, signups have closed.  The first set of voting begins Jan. 27, for the Alucard bracket.

Just now, Sir_NutS said:

All you really need is the key.  If you have a keyboard then finding the melodies after you know the key is easier.  Or, if you already know the key of your song just use that and transpose Beth's song to it.  That's probably the easier approach.

Well, for those of us that aren't very good at transcribing by ear, a MIDI can save a whole lot of time.  Especially since that source is so long--almost 3 minutes before looping!

35 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

How are our Alucard mixers doing?  Hopefully you're all at least halfway done!

Halfway? I wish. I restarted completely a few days ago, since I was not convinced of my first idea. And I have to go to Amsterdam until Tuesday, which came totally unexpected, so it will be a fun Wednesday next week

Just now, MindWanderer said:

Well, for those of us that aren't very good at transcribing by ear, a MIDI can save a whole lot of time.  Especially since that source is so long--almost 3 minutes before looping!

True, but you don't really need to transcribe the whole song.  Just the parts you want to incorporate into your mix.  Transcribing this whole 3 minute epic into yet another song will probably not work specially if somebody lacks experience.  So my advice is to listen to the song, find those bits you want to incorporate and focus on them.

Just now, Yami said:

Halfway? I wish. I restarted completely a few days ago, since I was not convinced of my first idea. And I have to go to Amsterdam until Tuesday, which came totally unexpected, so it will be a fun Wednesday next week

Keep the deadline in mind!  The calendar should show it adjusted for your time zone (here).  I believe you're in UTC+1, which would make it 3 AM Wednesday morning.

18 minutes ago, Magnetic Ether said:

Chernabogue, I keep thinking your source is about to turn into Dr. Wily Stage every time it gets to that fast part :P.

This is a going to be a weird mashup XD.

Edit: Also those signatures are great, but I can't figure out how to use mine...

Never noticed that similarity, now I can't un-hear it.

Although Chernabogue did set it up so you could link the image directly, what you should probably do is download it, then upload it to Dropbox, imgur, Photobucket, etc.  Then in your signature, use Insert Other Media->Insert from URL on the URL that service gives you for embedding.  (If you use Dropbox, change the end to ?dl=1 instead of 0.)

Just now, Chalis said:

Hmm, interesting combination. Dance Hall's in 3/4, which might be a bit tough. 

Yeah, you'll probably want to adapt them both into the same time signature.  Sometimes people do this by switching back and forth, and that doesn't usually work very well.

Hey @Esperado, this is as close to the source as I'm willing to transcribe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/31dq8pwwm982cm8/Abandoned%20Castle.mid?dl=0

Right before it loops it goes into some crazy solo stuff that is really hard to hear at half speed, the airy-ness of all the instruments used in the source makes everything kinda muddy at slow speeds. I also think there is a wrong note around 2:09 but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Anyone going up against me throughout the compo is welcome to use this midi!