Castlevania: Cacophony of Incarnation 2016

MindWanderer

1 hour ago, MindWanderer said:

Simon Bracket

The full schedule and brackets are here.  Looking at it now, turns out it too minimizes the chronological distance between games.  Not that that was improbable in this case.

I'll get the music up ASAP, and the voting thread shortly thereafter.  There will be a slight delay due to the fact that only 3 of the 6 were named correctly.  At least we got all 6, good job everybody!

uuuuh wasn't my bracket the 3rd?

10 minutes ago, Jorito said:

Interesting, I'm battling against WarMachine with who I collab'ed on a Castlevania song for Vampire Variations 3 :P

My schedule is pretty busy, so it might mean a weekend allnighter. Hope to squeeze out something enjoyable though!

Lmao i was just thinking the same thing dude!  Either way it turns out I'm sure we'll have a blast working on this, as always when it comes to CV tunes :) 

MindWanderer-

I've got a question for you dude, i just checked out the first round tracks (great job all btw!) and noticed that they are all midi oriented.  Is that a guideline for the compo that i didn't see/understand or is it the composers preference on the writing style i.e live instruments, midi vst etc.  I do guitar and bass in all of my mixes and i use vst's for my symphony/choirs, i just wanted to make sure i'm not breaking any rules before i get started lol.  Thanks in advance, and keep kicking ass everyone! \m/

13 minutes ago, WarMachine said:

Lmao i was just thinking the same thing dude!  Either way it turns out I'm sure we'll have a blast working on this, as always when it comes to CV tunes :) 

High five!

13 minutes ago, WarMachine said:

MindWanderer-

I've got a question for you dude, i just checked out the first round tracks (great job all btw!) and noticed that they are all midi oriented.  Is that a guideline for the compo that i didn't see/understand or is it the composers preference on the writing style i.e live instruments, midi vst etc.  I do guitar and bass in all of my mixes and i use vst's for my symphony/choirs, i just wanted to make sure i'm not breaking any rules before i get started lol.  Thanks in advance, and keep kicking ass everyone! \m/

I'm 99% it's okay to use live instruments or vox or other recorded stuff, I'm guessing it was mostly midi because of choices, skills and deadlines. I know my track is gonna be midi, now that I can't ask WarMachine to play me a solo :P

3 minutes ago, Jorito said:

High five!

I'm 99% it's okay to use live instruments or vox or other recorded stuff, I'm guessing it was mostly midi because of choices, skills and deadlines. I know my track is gonna be midi, now that I can't ask WarMachine to play me a solo :P

Haha, good deal - thanks fellas!

Yeah, if it produces sound, I don't really care how you make it.  Live sounds are great; similar compos even sometimes have vocal entries.  The only exception would be sampled audio that you don't have the legal right to use; samples from Squaresoft/Square Enix games are explicitly prohibited for that reason, but people sample the heck out of Castlevania and don't get in trouble, so that should be fine.

3 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

Yeah, if it produces sound, I don't really care how you make it.  Live sounds are great; similar compos even sometimes have vocal entries.  The only exception would be sampled audio that you don't have the legal right to use; samples from Squaresoft/Square Enix games are explicitly prohibited for that reason, but people sample the heck out of Castlevania and don't get in trouble, so that should be fine.

I'm using vocals in mine and my boyfriend is providing guitar samples. It's totally ok to use live recordings.

I think the only thing you're not really supposed to do is use a live performer and let them write a lot of the remix; your submission is supposed to be a reflection of your arranging skills, not the arranging skills of your performer.

Okay, one more question and i'll max them out, promise lol.  When it comes to tempo as well, is there any problems with increasing tempo for your or your opponents choice?  I'll be working in 120bpm for my track but Wicked Child (Jorito's track) i think is somewhere in the 170bpm range by the original songs tempo.  Sorry if i'm bugging you guys and gals lol

1 minute ago, Gario said:

Nope. Write a song in 980bpm if you want, as long as it sounds good. :P

Haha, i mean like i plan on making my track (heart of fire) at 120bpm, although that could change depending on my mood in a few minutes lol, but my question was would it be legit to say have the heart of fire portion at 120bpm and up the tempo of the wicked child portion to 170?  Sounds like a big jump, but i do weird things like this pretty often haha

29 minutes ago, WarMachine said:

Haha, i mean like i plan on making my track (heart of fire) at 120bpm, although that could change depending on my mood in a few minutes lol, but my question was would it be legit to say have the heart of fire portion at 120bpm and up the tempo of the wicked child portion to 170?  Sounds like a big jump, but i do weird things like this pretty often haha

<opinion>That's your choice, but it's probably not a great idea.  The goal of the compo is to make one coherent musical piece out of the two sources.  If they sound too disparate, it would be cause to vote against your entry.  For instance, I'm still listening to the entries from Alucard Round 1 and composing reviews, but it's apropos to mention "Burning While Submerged" as, in my opinion, not doing a good job of this.  Granted, these two sources make it particularly challenging, but this entry sounds like two pieces joined end-to-end.  It's much easier to make this work if you stay at a constant tempo throughout, or change tempo irrespective of what source is being used during what section.</opinion>

Edit: Actually, on further listening, I take back this premature criticism.  The transition is still jarring, but there are a lot of good examples in the second half of how to slow a fast-paced source down to match a slower one.

Edited by MindWanderer

Just now, MindWanderer said:

<opinion>That's your choice, but it's probably not a great idea.  The goal of the compo is to make one coherent musical piece out of the two sources.  If they sound too disparate, it would be cause to vote against your entry.  For instance, I'm still listening to the entries from Alucard Round 1 and composing reviews, but it's apropos to mention "Burning While Submerged" as, in my opinion, not doing a good job of this.  Granted, these two sources make it particularly challenging, but this entry sounds like two pieces joined end-to-end.  It's much easier to make this work if you stay at a constant tempo throughout, or change tempo irrespective of what source is being used during what section.</opinion>

Gotcha man, sounds good and thanks again!

The end of Hoboka's track actually incorporated both sources quite well, so here's to giving credit where it's due. The first few minutes did just sound like butting two sources together, though, which isn't a good thing. A shame, since it is produced quite well, overall, and that last minute does some really cool things with both sources.

Edit: Mindwanderer ninja edited, catching what I said here on his own, lol. :P

6 hours ago, theshaggyfreak said:

Hah! Just took a quick listen to Aleix's and I'm fairly sure I lost this one. I really had this nifty idea that I was working on with all ukulele stuff but it just wouldn't have been possible to finish it in time. :) Good show, Aleix!

Mostly true, but I must defend my honor on one note, my good sir *sips tea* =p

0:50 - 1:05 uses the organ melody from Crystal Tears (1:31 - 1:52).  So I didn't entirely slap 'em <EDIT> back to back till the last minute.  Just...mostly.  T_T

Odd...when I try to vote, it tells me "field required" for my own matchup, even though I was told not to put a vote down there.  And my vote doesn't go through...

EDIT

Shit, might've sent you 2 votes MindWanderer, as it did say "thank you for your vote" despite the "field required" message, so I guess that does mean it went through.  My bad =/

14 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

This is the 3rd bracket.  Alucard bracket started 2 weeks ago and just finished, Soma bracket started last week and is halfway through.

Oh, so there are overlapped mixing stages, I didn't notice that.  I guess that's a good idea to keep the compo going faster.  I honestly thought I was starting in february.
Also it's fitting that I'm up against one of the classic tunes I chose for my top three.  An epic battle of classic tunes!

Hm... well, the voting is all but unanimous for this round, so let's give the OCR staff a week to see if they can fix the voter display issue.  If a few votes don't go through, or if people manage to vote for or against themselves by accident, I don't think it really matters this time.

If it's still not working by next week, we'll go back to a traditional vote-by-post system.