DKC2 - Brambles (piano)

Radiowar

FINISHED version

This is the most recent version in case anybody is interested.

brambles (instrumental)

I was just messing around on my piano and came up with this. This is just a rough version, I think I'm gonna have vocals over this in the end so some parts will repeat. I just wanted to get an idea of what people thought of this.

http://www.box.net/public/f41v4mmrtv

I love this tune from the game, and I really like what you've done with it. I don't really have much for suggestions, as I know next to nothing about making this kind of music. I am lousy at arranging piano-only pieces. But I really like this nonetheless. Thought you could use some feedback, even if it's totally useless. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I think this sounds really nice. Forget if 3/4 fits the source or not. It stands well on it's own, so it doesn't really matter. This solution is much more creative.

I think the bass line at the intro stays static for a bit too long considering you don't end up making it static on purpose. A few changes there might help.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it seems to me that 1:25 and 1:37 seem awkward because they belong to the only sets of chords that don't move or change. Perhaps an inversion, or an added 7th, 9th, etc?

I really like this though. I hope you keep going on it.

I think the bass line at the intro stays static for a bit too long considering you don't end up making it static on purpose. A few changes there might help.

You mean the first four chords? That was all intentional...I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it seems to me that 1:25 and 1:37 seem awkward because they belong to the only sets of chords that don't move or change. Perhaps an inversion, or an added 7th, 9th, etc?

Believe me I've tried. But E minor is the only one that works...considering I have to go from G major to E minor and then the next chord has to be something that makes sense in that context, but also goes back to F major and A minor well.

It will probably sound better with the vocals over top.

I really like this though. I hope you keep going on it.

Yeah once I finish up the lyrics I'll probably submit this sometime next week. Thanks for the comments.

As for the repeated E-minor chords at 1:25 and 1:37, I think the reason that they sound strange to me is that they are different from what I was expecting to come next after hearing the source tune. I believe the original song goes from F-G-e-(a for two beats,G for two beats).

That said, I like your version very much. If you keep the second E-minor, you might want to consider inverting the chord (change the bass note to another note in E-minor).

One more thing to consider would be mixing up the rhythm of the bass a little; it's sort of going "boom-chick-chick" the whole time. It works nicely in the beginning, but you might consider changing the rhythm slightly during one of the phrases, and/or adding some filler notes between phrases.

Beautiful playing, and I especially like the intro.

Ooh this is nice and chopinesc, very pretty. I never heard the "awkward" chords in it though, my ear is fairly good so I dunno why I can't hear it, maybe just not expecting it to go a certain way. I heard *something* with the first listen that sounded a bit off but the next 5 listens I couldn't figure out where it was cause I wasn't hearing it anymore.

It'd be cool if you took it further and put more dynamics and maybe even tempo changes throughout it (since it already has a chopin feel to it)Maybe explore the theme a bit and change up the background motive or atleast let it evolve some.

For the tempo and length, this song feels very short, I hope you'll be adding more to it. (And if you do the version with lyrics I hope you post a lyrics version and a non lyrics one too :P)

Oh yeah, one thing not related to the song directly; you may want to make the recording louder (not dynamicly louder though).

It'd be cool if you took it further and put more dynamics and maybe even tempo changes throughout it (since it already has a chopin feel to it)Maybe explore the theme a bit and change up the background motive or atleast let it evolve some.

I was going to suggest this before I knew you wanted lyrics over it. I'm not sure if that would mess up your ideas for vocals. But I would also like to hear some sort of dramatic change in the tone during the middle, with a return to the solemn sound for the ending. Well, not too dramatic--something as simple as a tempo change would work. Good idea for this mix, I think the judges will appreciate it.

This is a really cool take on the Brambles theme. The piano sounds good, quality-wise. I haven't heard the orignal in a while (it's been about a year or two since I've played DKC2) so I didn't really notice the "awkward" parts.

All in all, this sounds really nice, and I can't wait to hear what this sounds like once you put vocals to it.

• 1 month later...

it sounds like at 1:35 theres another 2 bars missing or something, it cuts back to the main melody too fast. also the only thing i dont like about this part up to then is the loss of sustain on the bass at 1:29.

The timing takes a bit of getting used to, but it works

other than that its kinda nice but fairly short and repetetive, it needs some variety and fleshing out on both the melody and the bass side of things. good piano sound though.

it sounds like at 1:35 theres another 2 bars missing or something, it cuts back to the main melody too fast.

hmm don't know why it sounds like that. there isn't anything missing though...

also the only thing i dont like about this part up to then is the loss of sustain on the bass at 1:29.

yeah just a sequencing mistake, i played this on my old computer so a few notes didn't come through and i had to fix them manually...that's just one i forgot.

other than that its kinda nice but fairly short and repetetive, it needs some variety and fleshing out on both the melody and the bass side of things. good piano sound though.

yeah it is simple, but that's intentional. it is meant to have vocals over it.

thanks for listening

edit: i've posted the "final" version in the first post, it's just longer and i think the minor issues have been fixed. i'll do the vocals someday, just not yet.

it sounds like at 1:35 theres another 2 bars missing or something, it cuts back to the main melody too fast.

hmm don't know why it sounds like that. there isn't anything missing though...

maybe theres nothing missing that was in the original (I've been working on a remix of it and have a different version engraved in my skull at the moment so it might be throwing me off a bit) but musically it sounds like it could use something more in there to tie it all in more cohesively.

• 8 months later...

You might as well, see what the judges think of it. Even if it doesn't pass, they'll usually get you in the right direction so that you song will pass the next time.

A question, how did you get your piano sample to sound the way it does. I'm using VSTi, and I can't get it to sound "pure" or, basically, just like in this song.

The piano sample is a Steinway from the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra with a little reverb.

Dang, I was afraid you'd say that...

Oh well, this is really good BTW. If you do decide to submit this, I hope is passes. :smile: