OCR03281 - *YES* Aquaria 'Prayer for the Azure Waters' *PRIORITY*

Chimpazilla

Chimp note:  Ryan has labeled this as a holiday mix.  I'm not sure how holiday it sounds, but it's lovely, so maybe?

Hey OCR!

Here is my latest submission which is a rerecording of the track I did for the OCReMix Christmas Album Vol 8.  The source is Icy Waters from the Aquaria OST. 

Remixer Info

Submission Information

• Aquaria
  • Prayer For The Azure Waters
  • Aquaria-Icy Waters

Aquaria was the first Indie-game I played which made me realize that everything that was great about games so many years ago has been making a comeback with indie game developers. I've always felt a connection to the soundtrack as much of it is very similar to the music I was listening to by one of my favorite composers, Ed Van Fleet, which I listened to a lot  while I was growing up. For this remix I wanted to take everything I loved about the Aquaria OST and give it a few personal touches. Special thanks to Brandon Strader who gave me insight on processing acoustic guitars. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSsrLSmX8k

I'm not sure how "holiday" this mix is, the ocean sounds don't exactly scream "winter wonderland" to me, but whatever.  This is a lovely remix!  It is conservative without being too coverish.  The acoustic guitars sound really wonderful.  The choir gives this an Enya feel.  The arrangement gets a little bit repetitive, but the evolving textures and instrument changes keep it fresh enough for me.  I feel like the mixing could be improved just a little, but this is working well enough for me as-is.  Really sweet mix.

YES

Dreamy intro. Production is decent enough, each of your parts are fairly audible. Kristina is right - this is pretty smack bang in the midst of Enya territory. Nice pacing, initially your arrangement progresses well considering you don't have too many instruments across the mix, but things started to feel a bit samey for me by the time we reached the end. If it was any longer, I wouldn't been much more hesitant in passing this. I would've really liked to hear some more variation and a further explorative original take on the source, but as it stands I think things are ok. 

YES