OCR03277 - Chrono Trigger "stratification"

Liontamer

Wow. I can't remember the last time a remix had this much of an impact on me as a listener. This mix ascends to new heights for an artist who has already has an incredible catalog of previous works under his belt. In my opinion, this is melody's magnum opus - a rich, colorful interpretation, skillfully produced, performed, and arranged in a way that perfectly captures the true spirit of an incredible source tune.

While the main highlight here is certainly Peter's dynamic, emotive soloing, this is worth another listen or two just to pick out all of the minute details in the backing instrumentation. By the same token, it's also very easy to throw this on repeat, let yourself get lost in the swirling, delay-laden atmosphere and just enjoy the vibe. This is an excellent example of a remix that can resonate with listeners on many different levels.

Truly remarkable.

(copying my judge decision post here because it functions well as a review, too.)

Holy shit! melody!!! I'm HUGE fan of all Peter's works and I was extremely glad to see his name of the front page. While this remix is on the rockier side of things, compared to other Peter's songs, it's still a great pleasure to listen to. And though this work is a bit of departure from other melody's stuff in terms of genre, it can be easily recognised as his work due to badass drum groove and wonderful jazzy licks here and there. What a lovely song! :)

Ok, awesome. melody, very well done! This was a pleasure to listen to every second of the way.  I'm not intending to pigeon-hole at all, because your playing and tone are all your own, but I get this great vibe of Beck playing through Vai's gear...with Satch-like pinch and tap harmonics.  Super expansive, super quacky, super rich.  And a tight mix to boot.  Repeatin' this for awhile.

Everyone said it already but this is pretty good. A somewhat straightforward approach to the song with cool solo-ing on top. I like how the focus seems to be more on the chord progression of the original rather than on the opening notes, it makes it sound refreshing. Guitar playing, as pointed out by everybody above me, is spot on and damn good. If I had to offer some nitpicking, I felt the snare sounded a bit stale sometimes, like if the velocity didn't change much.

Transcendental. Wavy and airy at times, rocking at others. It's like you took a really good version of this theme, and THEN said, "Hey, give me the coolest solo guitar work you can imagine over the top of this and never let that solo stop, but also you're never allowed to just play random notes, you need to have a purpose." And the result is this. Wonderful. Made the mix feel like it was 1 minute long, and that's a compliment to it's transportive nature.

man, i want to hop in here and say how much i appreciate the kind words coming from everyone in this thread.  thanks for giving me your ears, your time, and your thoughts; they're humbling gifts to receive.  and thanks to dave and all of the ocr staff for toiling over this site, to give video game music the platform it truly deserves, as well as the constructive criticism and undue praise you all have given to me over the years.

much love everyone, and hope you all have a merry Christmas.

- peter/melody

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Alcino said:

Heeeey... this remix has been covered anew as the last part of Chrono Suite, credited to "Materia", in the Chronicles of Time album.

Yes, that's a band that has melody and three other musicians.  From what I saw on VGMdb, melody arranged the entire suite and played the guitar parts for the band recording.  They also came back together for the recent Nintendo 64 tribute as well :)

On 10/3/2016 at 11:05 AM, Rexy said:

Yes, that's a band that has melody and three other musicians.  From what I saw on VGMdb, melody arranged the entire suite and played the guitar parts for the band recording.  They also came back together for the recent Nintendo 64 tribute as well :)

Ah, thanks for the information, I was genuinely curious. So Materia did the Kirby 64 Boss on that tribute album (which I had just finished listening to when I wrote my previous post), and melody also did Indomitable in Chronicles of Time.

Hope to hear more from them; this Corridor of Time remix is my favorite, albeit tied with Corrupter of Time, ahead of 30 others. The ambience, the driving drum and bass, the dancing guitar lead... it's beautiful.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2016 at 11:05 AM, Rexy said:

that's all very correct, thanks rexy!  thanks for the kind words alcino!

chrono suite also made the cut onto our (materia) debut album, released through overclocked records!  you can check it out at www.materiavgm.com!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03277 - Chrono Trigger "stratification"
  • 2 months later...

God damn that guitar playing is sexy! But in addition to that, there's a great atmosphere underneath that is jazzy, and somehow still manages to be be somewhat relaxing, at least to me if I don't focus directly on the guitar. I often forget that songs don't have to be slow or quieter to have that chill quality, especially when the groove is this damn smooth. And of course the piano was delightful. This is the kind of song I would love to listen to in the car on a closed road going over sixty miles an hour, because it's as smooth as the ride but also as exciting as the speed. Excellent ReMix, melody.