OCR03278 - Super Castlevania IV "Ripples"

Liontamer

Damn the sound design is cool here. Bass sounds awesome, as do the drums with the crushing and whatever effects you applied. Drum writing is also pretty interesting with all those fills. Leads are also very cool but maybe a bit quiet? It seems that drums and bass are the main focus here but I'd like if the leads and other elements were a tad louder too.

Anyway, this is a very good song. I'm not familiar with the sources at all but I enjoyed it. Cool mood, awesome samples and fun writing overall.

pH has a knack for chopping breaks for sure. Personally though, I felt the bass and energetic drums distracted from the more atmospheric background textures, making it sound like energetic foreground on top of chill background, so it was a little disjointed in that respect. Maybe some of the background could have also been slightly glitched to work more cohesively with the foreground. Either way, I do like the amount of detail put into the bass motion (I hear that high-end buzziness which is cool) and the beat-chopping, and the break at 2:53 - 3:30 was welcome to keep the pacing from getting too similar. That solo at 3:49 - 4:10 was really good too.

Nice, fat bass. Sweet drum writing, although I am a bit tired of the amen break after having listened to earlier Squarepusher (look him up for some truly insane mangling). That whistle synth is nice, but the following lead is great. Nice phasing on the break afterwards. I also like how all the glitching and intensity works with a nice atmosphere going on in the background. Some good stuff.

Holy moly, those drums are going crazy. The production is on point, letting the melody stand out bright and strong while the drums do their own thing. The trancelike melody doesn't seem to fit quite well with the intenseish background, but the arrangement is more than solid enough to make up for that.

this is some sexy af stuff

I am thoroughly enjoying this thanks to:

- the deliciously badass combo of grungy bass and rapid percussion (I can't get enough of it)

- how the order/arrangement of the sources makes it seem like Simon is getting glimpses of the challenges in the next two areas while swaggering through The Cave

- the sine wave/whistle-y quips of The Submerged City (4:09+)

- the occasional church bells

The artist sure isn't kidding when he says he had fun making this. Not hard to see/hear/feel/smell/taste why. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03278 - Super Castlevania IV "Ripples"
  • 2 months later...

The glitchy bass and the fast percussion was an unexpected combination, but one that meshed well in my opinion with the backing beat that worked like a musical metronome as well as sounding nice on it's own. And my love for well-placed bells extends to this mix as well. The whole arrangement is fun, and the break was perfectly executed. Not bad at all.